Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 286595 times)

Omen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #630 on: March 18, 2011, 02:03:23 pm »

@ Battlecat Fantastic news!  I don't mind where you'd like to put Omen, as long as he has time to train.  Hopefully he really likes training, as he has a lot to catch up to.

Omen's Journal, 27th of Opal, 315

At last!  My party starts in just a bit so I'll just jot this down.  I'm going to be in the military, and Cog is going to let me train the dangerous animals!  This is great!

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: March 18, 2011, 02:28:18 pm »

@Battlecat: If dyeing works like masonry you might be able to control what gets dyed by having a very nearby stockpile of nothing but cave spider silk with the plant fiber and GCS cloth in a farther off stockpile. Wouldn't the dwarf tend to grab the closest? I've used that technique in creating rock blocks of a specific color. Also, do dye jobs have quality levels like other work or is a dye job a dye job? If yes to quality levels, let's start with red jobs to get up to speed and then we can crank out green cloaks and whatnot for the military (or the squad that's supposed to be green). If no, straight to green. Also, how am I in clothier skill levels? Should I ramp up on socks and mittens or would I create good quality cloaks right off?
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: March 18, 2011, 02:43:13 pm »

Whip please, anything that messes with me will perforated by my physics-breaking-crazy-weapon henceforth referred to as PBCW, if only it could be decorated. :(

EDIT: also the machinery in my room should control something with little to no actual use but alot of dorf points like the massive FU finger from syrupleaf :D
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 02:45:24 pm by Scaraban »
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: March 18, 2011, 04:59:35 pm »

@Indricotherium: Um, I think that dye jobs do have a quality modifier to them. Well my legendary dyer in my current fort enjoys pumping out "Urist McAlmostuseless has created a masterpiece" message any time he gets anywhere near his workshop (not that I'm insulting your profession at all ;D).

Also, yay for some chance of some glory. Now let's watch as he gets to write about Derm finding my well chewed on body and screaming bloody revenge. But let's try to avoid that. Maybe with some swimming skill my chances can be a little higher.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: March 18, 2011, 09:04:27 pm »

No, no, no. All nobles should have rooms in the Goblin Defense Tower. Connected to the roof with a support, and a lever to detach it during an emergency. And potentially smash goblins.

Or in an apartment complex with no doors, to which they're restricted during sieges.

Or at least they should if it weren't for Derm's tendency to wander through sieges and smash them into nothing like he's not even trying. Hmm... perhaps a noble early warning system?

Edit: It's that pool just north of the cave entrance. But my tower starts one level higher. For two reasons. One, so I don't interfere with the defense of the entry, and two, to make it closer to the main fortress just that little bit. Plus I'm planning food stockpiles and a cistern so cave explorers can stop there instead of going all the way back up to the main fortress.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 09:36:47 pm by Triaxx2 »

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: March 19, 2011, 12:22:54 am »

^^^^He so thoughtful.... :P

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: March 19, 2011, 09:23:12 am »

He is indeed. it's even got shooting balconies to look out at and kill the cavern's wild life.

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: March 19, 2011, 11:46:29 am »

Can we get a list of who this baron and his consort are making friends with and who they are pissing off? Consider this as Syntic keeping an eye on them, and if for some strange reason either are friends with Syntic then that would be because Syntic decided it would be easier to keep an eye on them that way. It should go without saying that Syntic would be suspicious of anyone that is friends with the Baron.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: March 19, 2011, 09:52:20 pm »

Cog's Journal, 6th of Obsidian, 315

The switch was thrown today and magma began flowing towards the new glassworks.  I'm just waiting for our miners to finish carving out the drop pit for the sand and we'll be out and running!  Urist Imiknorris has finally started work.  It was decided to work exclusively with silk since it's a nicer material anyhow. 

This is actually the end of an era for our fortress.  The makeshift surface glassworks have served us well for many years.  They were never intended to be permanent and I am pleased to be moving our glass workers into permanent, high quality quarters. 

Cog's Journal, 14th of Obsidian, 315

It's just been odd jobs as the New Year rolls up.  Removing scaffold from the surface, planning and of course trying to get the rooms finished for the thrice cursed baron.  Granted, so far he seems fairly harmless.  Today he stomped into my office to inform me that until his offices were done, we were forbidden from exporting any bucklers.  Seeing as the only bucklers in the entire area are laying unused in the killing fields on the surface, I felt I could humor him. 

Something about holding a higher office seems to addle the brains of dwarves.  Personally, I think the Baron is just irritated that the miners would rather remove scaffolding from the surface instead of finishing his rooms.  Speaking of the twit, Syntic is keeping a surreptitious eye on our baron to see who might be a nobility sympathizer.  So far, he hasn't had a lot of time for socializing but he's a passing acquaintance with a few dwarves, mostly children hanging around in the statue garden.

Spoiler: Baron Relatioships 1 (click to show/hide)

Yes, I'm on that list too.  I don't have a lot of choice about talking to him. 

Cog's Journal, 16th of Obsidian, 315

Lovely, a distraction!  Soldiers to the front lines!  But don't rush too much; they can only attack us from one direction now!  Derm will be very excited, but I expect some of the other soldiers will be as well. 

I’m going to have Omen and Triaxx stay back from this fight.  Neither of them are well trained enough to handle a goblin siege. 

Events of the 20th of Obsidian, 315

Bennet was the third dwarf to the front lines to take on the latest siege.  One marksdwarf was far ahead and was already rapidly firing bolts at the approaching goblins.  It was odd though, Bennet was pretty sure his eyes were ok, but for some reason these goblins looked larger than normal.  He charged as fast as he could as he watched the goblin approach the marksdwarf.

Just as the goblins was about to strike down the archer, Bennet was in, and took a few solid swings at the goblin, stopping it in its tracks.  The first axedwarf on scene had the same idea and took a solid hit on the goblins as well.  From there, Bennet and the rapidly arriving military charged in and started to take down the goblins one by one. 

But this fight wasn’t going as smoothly as they had in the past.  Some dwarves were attempting charge attacks on the goblins.  Instead of the usual result of knocking the small creatures down, these ones were standing their ground and it was the dwarves who were bouncing off and crashing to the ground.  Bennet made no such mistake, swinging his hammer with great enthusiasm.  Finally, with a loud crunch, he caved in the skull of one of the goblins.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Then the fight really started to heat up as the first large squad of goblins arrived.  Catten got a spectacular shot straight to the brain of the goblin macelord with this squad.  And then the Soulchopper entered the battle . . .

Derm the Soulchopper:

Derm was absolutely certain these goblins were larger.  And the early fight certainly showed that while they might be knocking Derm down, their size still didn’t matter.  He sent pieces of goblin flying every direction as usual.  But he did observe several goblins knocking down dwarves which was a major concern.  Before he knew it, three goblins and a troll were dead from his axe. 

Still, there were more arriving from multiple directions.  “Hammers to the south, Archers, cover them!”  He shouted.  “The rest of you with me!”  And he charged north from the gate towards the hill side and the approaching enemy.  Beside him were Catten the Boneminer and Rashmed the Heron-marked, carving their own swaths through the approaching enemy. 

Rashem, Heron-marked:

Rashmed was taking great joy in this battle.  He was late but he was fighting right beside Derm the Soulchopper.  However, taking note of what happened to the other dwarves who had been knocked down, he simply slashed them apart, his sword a blur as it carved the goblins apart.  Several goblins attempted to attack or charge him, but he deftly jumped out of the way.  His greatest shot was a slash to the head of a goblin which completely removed it, just as Derm would. 

As he took joy in the battle, he also idly wondered how the hammerdwarves and archers were faring. 

Rifotangrir, Hammerdwarf:
Rifotangrir had the misfortune of being one of the last ones to the battle but fortunately for him, there were still goblins left.  He tore into a macegoblin with great enthusiasm first.  Then, covered by the marksdwarves, his squad was going up against lashers and a couple of trolls.  The fight was challenging but he finally got a couple good solid hit in on a Troll’s head to kill it.  The lashers were very nearly as tough as the trolls, as he was knocked down several times without getting any major hits in.  Then suddenly before he knew it, the fight was over. 

In the distance he could hear Derm shouting out the all clear.  This fight had been unique in that there had been no need to call any alarm out to the civilians.  The area was entirely safe. 

Cog’s Journal, 21st of Obsidian, 315

Well, reports from this fight suggest why the military at mountain home failed against the goblins.  Something is happening to the goblins, they’ve somehow managed to grow larger in a very short amount of time. I have no explaination for these phenomena, I’m just thankful that our dedicated military is so skilled.  In fact, here is a list of the kills by our dwarves:

Derm the Soulchopper: 5 goblins, 1 troll
Catten the Boneminer: 6 goblins, 1 troll
Rashem, Heron-marked: 3 goblins
Rifotangrir, Hammerdwarf: 1 goblin, 1 troll
Bennet, Hammerdwarf: 3 goblins
. . . (The list goes on from here)

An impressive showing all around.  We’ll have to redouble our efforts for the future.  In particularly, we’ll need alternate defenses if our military gets severely injured.  Time to polish off some other plans for the New Year celebration!  In the meantime, Zan Asteshstizash has organized a party to celebrate our military’s victory! 

OOC: I doubled the body size of goblin in this world.  It went well, but I think the military was more challenged than in the past.  I did have an initial run through and a crash partway where one of the axedwarves actually got a broken ankle and leg from a goblin so that should be a decent challenge level for the moment.  No dwarves were injured in the final version of the fight but the goblins being able to knock dwarves down makes this much more interesting. 

If your named dwarf isn’t on the list, you didn’t get any new kills, but that doesn’t mean you didn’t contribute!

@Omen: Done!  Animal training and wrestling.  I’ll put you in as a wrestler with the hammerdwarves for now.

@Indricotherium: Dyeing is quality based so it’ll just have to be a case of training up.  Unfortunately, you can’t control the type of cloth or dye used so it’ll mostly have to be done via trying to place materials appropriately close to the workshop.  Or by forbidding materials I don’t want used.  I’ll just ban all the blue and green dye for the moment.  As for your clothier skill, it’s actually pretty high.  You’re a skilled weaver and an adept clothier at this stage.  Pretty good on both counts actually.

@Thatdude: Yup, that’s right, dyeing is a quality modifier job.  Thanks for posting that!  We’ll see how things go in the depths.  You’ll be doing a lot better once the new update comes out and I can get the marksdwarves back on the archery range.  As for swimming, I’ll be putting all the military through swimming training as soon as I can get a swimming pool constructed! 

@Triaxx2: While those are all excellent ideas, I actually initiated the arrival of the baron to add a bit of “fun” to Towersoared.  I really don't have any intention of getting the baron killed except in an honest accident (As opposed to a planned accident like water pump stack being redirected into his rooms).  But those are all excellent ideas.  :)  As for your personal apartment, the pool right beside the cave entrance is a great idea.  The tunnel to the fortress stairwell will probably have a couple extra security gates in case your apartment gets infested. Looking forward to seeing the design.   

@Scaraban: Indeed!

@Syntic: Have a look above. He's a recent immigrant so he hasn't socialized a lot. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 01:02:17 pm by Battlecat »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: March 19, 2011, 09:58:07 pm »

Huh. Catten mined more than Derm chopped.

EDIT: I suggest the Baron's quarters look out into the caverns, with bridges between the windows and the flying building destroyers, so they can be closed in an emergency. If you want, I'll draw up some plans when the end-of-year schematics become available.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 10:00:57 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: March 19, 2011, 10:08:30 pm »

Huh, true.

Looking forward to tomorrow as always. Have you started the milita training thing?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: March 20, 2011, 03:08:13 am »

Syntic's Journal:
So this new Baron is starting to get to know some others in the fortress and I'm a bit worried about the people he's trying to get in close with. I'm not worried about him talking to Cog, or the Doctor, or the Wood Burner, but I'm the most worried about the number of children he's been speaking with. It's likely he's trying to do what he can to indoctrinate them with a pro-nobility mindset. What we need to do is keep both the children and the Baron occupied, so that they don't have time to socialize, and an idea comes to mind. It seems that the reason that the Baron and the children are able to socialize is because they both spend time in the same garden.

I think that perhaps Cog should set aside an area of the fortress for a special nobility statue garden. Then if anymore nobles end up coming to the fortress they call all spend time there instead of the "lowly" commoner statue garden. Then to keep the children occupied we should find smarter than average dwarf among the haulers and give them the job of school teacher. This dwarfs new and sole task would be to stay in the same places that we let the children go, and provide guidance and education on life in the fortress.

(OOC: The Baron and any future nobles should be put in a squad if they can be and have their permissions denied from the public garden. So they don't get to grumpy, they should be provided a "special" garden of their own. Define "special" however you want.

The Children should likewise be put in a squad of their own and they should only be aloud to go into "Child Safe Areas", and at least one adult dwarf should be put in this squad. He should have no tasks as well so that he's likely to spend his time doing the same thing that the kids are, and socialize with them. I think I had heard something how dwarfs pass on skills to other dwarfs when they socialize so if we have a dwarf with skills that would like to take on this role that might be best, so that the kids are entering adult hood with an advantage. If that's not the case though, then any random hauler would be good for the job.)

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: March 20, 2011, 03:10:36 am »

Interesting idea... I don't think squads are possible but burrows should be doable, have the two new burrows overlap everywhere but the statue gardens.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: March 20, 2011, 03:28:21 am »

You can't put children in the military.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: March 20, 2011, 04:04:04 am »

^^^why squads are not possible
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 118