Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 286586 times)

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #675 on: March 24, 2011, 01:01:05 pm »

Events of the 19th of Felsite 316

The alarm came from the cave traps set up front.  A goblin ambush had arrived!  Derm the Soulchopper quickly rushed outside, flanked by a number of other dwarves included Catten the Boneminer, Bennet, Rashem Heron-marked.  Others were coming having heard the alarm sounded.  As Derm came through the gates, he quickly observed that there was a squad of crossbow wielding goblins by the gates.  Easy as can be he thought. 

Then he chuckled as he heard a horn sound in the distance.  No wonder the goblins were here today.  The horn was the sound of the Elves announcing their approach. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

He paused for a moment at the gate to let Bennet and Rashem catch up, and then the three of them charged the goblins as bolts began to fly in their direction.  He watched as Bennet charged out ahead and caved in the skull of a goblin without any hesitation. 

Two more quickly feel to Bennet.  Derm was about to go into battle, when out of the corner of his eye he saw a bolt coming at him.  He quickly dodged to his left, right into the defensive moat.  He heard the death scream of the last goblin as it was eviscerated by Rashem, Heron-marked.  Derm was slightly disappointed, but only slightly.  It was only a squad of four goblins after all.  He pulled to his feet and walked up the ramp. 

“Everyone back to the fortress, I'll check in on the Elves.” 

He made his way out and around the edge, when he spotted two more goblins lurking nearby.  They were poorly armed, carrying nothing but sacks.  They had to be snatchers here to steal children for food or worse.  And there were a lot of children in Towersoared. 

The first goblin charged at him, knocking him down and then ran for it.  The other goblin began to run as well.  Derm gave chase, and in a moment of inspiration jammed his shield straight into the head of the first snatcher.  It dropped to the ground, dead.

The second was still running, then he saw a third.  The third was closer, so he began his attack.  This one wasn't nearly as nimble even though it looked like a master thief and he quickly removed a foot to keep it from fleeing.  Then he proceeded to dice it up, removing every limb.  Now it was time for the third one.  The Elves scattered in panic seeing the goblin.  But then Derm caught up with it right in the midst of the Elves.  He carved his axe straight through the goblin's ribcage, exposing and tearing the heart.  And yet it still lived!  With surprising agility for a creature with a damaged heart, it skipped over right next to an Elf merchant.  To Derm's surpise, the elf took a swing at the goblin before retreating.  Then the thief collapsed to the ground, unconscious.  Not wanting to take a chance, Derm deftly removed the goblin's head. 

The Elves were looking at him with a mixture of horror and admiration.  He'd killed some goblins and horrified some Elves.  His day was pretty complete now!  “Better get inside before some more of those goblins show up” he said to the Elves.   And he began to stroll back towards the fortress. 

As he walked, he heard shouts from inside.  Somehow, a fourth snatcher had managed to sneak through the gates and was over near the main fortress entrance in the hills.  Derm started sprinting and arrived just as the creature had arrived at the bottom of the hill and was about to make the dash across the desert to freedom.  He didn't even pause, just took one swing to send the goblin flying in two separate directions. 

Yes, a very good day indeed. 

Cog's Journal, 8th of Hematite 316

Trading with the Elves went as well as always.  They seemed more reasonable than usual, probably due to their encounter with Derm unleashed.  In addition to our usual purchases, I bought all the dye they were carrying.  Excavation of the obsidian factory is going smoothly as are other projects.  I don't expect to be up and running this year, but maybe next year if we're lucky. 

When this factory is completed I expect our wealth will begin to soar upwards even more quickly than it already has.  I don’t expect any problems in the near future.  We haven’t had a serious attack in years, and the idiot Baron even seems content, spending most of his time in his room looking at pretty pictures and statutes.  At least his wife is useful; she has been invaluable as a hauler.

Today I also drafted out a reorganized military.  In the interest of diversifying our military, I've divided the Axedwarves among the other two melee combat squads and reassigned several dwarves to fight with Derm the Soulchopper.  The following dwarves are now in Derm the Soulchopper's Squad:

Bennet - Hammerdwarf
   Rashem, Heron-marked - Sworddwarf
   Thor – Hammerdwarf
   Lars – Hammerdwarf

Catten Boneminer and Rifotangir are commanders of the other two squads.  Triaxx and Omen are both very enthusiastic about joining Derm’s squad as well.  I'll take that under advisement and run it past Derm the Soulchopper, but I feel that a certain level of skill should be achieved before fighting under Derm.  Omen and Triaxx need more time in training as they've only been in the military for a season. 

Old Towersoared on the 10th of Hematite 316

It had been many long years since Zanfar's arrival in Towersoared.  This place had been no end of frustration to the nobility of mountain home and all efforts to slow down progress had barely had any impact.  The biggest impact Zanfar had accomplished had been the mass sabotage many years ago but ever since the leadership of Towersoared had been watching all activity carefully and Zanfar was forced to play the part of the good citizen. 

All his other efforts had been for naught, including his venture out to the far end of the now empty lake with a pick he had stolen so many years ago.  If anything, draining that lake had been a benefit to Towersoared, not a hindrance.  The goblins were hardly help either, the military here was beyond amazing and the defenses of the fortress worked against both goblins and beasts with equal effectiveness.

But the fortress had grown large and with the arrival of the Baron, eyes were focused more on the newer dwarves than on the older longtime residents such as Zanfar.  Some places were quieter and some places weren't being watched as carefully anymore.  Places such as this one, despite its proximity to high traffic zones.  With a quiet crunch, the last dust covered mechanisms were broken apart by Zanfar's efforts.  Zanfar stood and made his way back to the depths.  All that remained was to slip in the order to pull the lever into the queue.  It would have to happen quickly before someone noticed the damage.

OOC:  Hmmm, plot!  I’ve reworked the squads a bit as above, so most of the named dwarves are in Derm’s squad now.  I kept squad leaders the same though.

@Dermonster: Ok, you’ve got the dwarves listed above in your squad.  Did you want to your squad take Omen and Triaxx’s training on as well?  Or do they need to train up to earn a place? 

@Omen: I’ll keep you weaponless for a bit longer, you suddenly picked up some wrestling skill in the last few training sessions.  I’ll put you on spear in the next year or something. 

@Triaxx2: I was originally thinking about holding off your assignment to Derm’s squad until your dwarf had more experience, but actually I suppose that’s not such a big deal. 

As for your hanging tower, the area as marked is 14x14, which is the floor space but the walls around it would make the total size 16x16 as it constructs downwards.  As it turns out, at that size the walls of the tower will touch the wall of the magma pipe.  That doesn’t feel quite right, so I’m going to reduce it to an interior floor space of 13x13 assuming you’re not superstitious.  If you are, I can drop it to 12x12

@Thatdude: Well most of them.  You’re still safe in a separate squad.  I have no intention of putting marksdwarves in Derm’s squad.  It’s easier to keep you separate, especially because of the way ammo is assigned. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 01:22:38 pm by Battlecat »

Omen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: March 24, 2011, 01:14:22 pm »

OOC: Great update!  Keep me out of Derm's squad for now.  Omen needs a lot more training to be up to the task.

Omen's Journal, 19th of Felsite 316

There was a bit of a scuffle at the gates today.  A small goblin squad was wiped out and the elven merchants got in all right.  Those dwarves are amazing!  I really have a long way to go until I can come anywhere near them.

Omen's Journal, 8th of Hematite 316

Derm's starting a new squad!  I asked Cog if I could join, eventually I mean.  I know I'm not good enough now.  Some day!  Wrestling is getting a little easier.  I was having a bit of a hard time getting the hang of it.  I know, though, that being able to handle myself without a weapon is a very good idea. 

Cog said that he's working on getting me some weird and awesome pets to train.  That would be really cool.  It'd almost be worth not being in the elite squad if I was in a squad with monsters!  Oh yeah!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: March 24, 2011, 01:14:30 pm »

To be in my squad, you need a minimum weapon skill of, on a scale from 1 to 100, a 65 or so, and have at least 15 kills to your name.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: March 24, 2011, 01:19:37 pm »

@dermonster: On a scale of 1 - 100 where 1 is "which end of the sword do I hold?" and 100 is legendary? 

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: March 24, 2011, 01:20:00 pm »

Yes.

Technically a 1 is "Oh dear I seem to be bleeding from my hands I must grip it harder'
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: March 24, 2011, 01:52:25 pm »

Fine by me. And frankly, if it has to vary in size from level to level, I don't mind that either.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: March 24, 2011, 02:02:30 pm »

Thors Journal
19 of Felsite 316
Things have been gettin boring out here, as no suicide squads have shown up I *gap between sentences* Well some stupid goblins said to themself's "hey lets go attack Towersoared, maybe we'll win this time". Nope. Once again Derm dismembered them glouriosly with goblin parts flying and blood spraying. Bennet and Rashim, Heron-marked also got some kills. I, however showed up late and missed the fun. Oh well time to polish my hammer, and wait.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: March 24, 2011, 09:37:47 pm »

Events of the 19th of Hematite 316

Feb Logemeshim the Thresher had been here less time than most, but long enough to realize there was limited work for him.  It was still months before the dye supply would run low, making him needed.  So when an order with his name on it appeared in his bedroom one morning, he didn't question it one bit.  Work was work after all and this was different from his normal fare. 

The order was to go up to the old Towersoared control room and pull lever #1.  A simple enough job really but very odd.  There weren't really any major controls up in Old Towersoared.  But it was a simple job and it wouldn't be a problem.  Apparently it was behind an old glassworks and refuse room.  He found his way into a dusty old room with marble walls with three levers.  What an odd place, this must be long before his time here.

But clearly labeled above one of them was the number 1.  He threw the switch and listened and looked around for any sign of an effect.  Nothing at all.  It must be dead or in a different part of the fortress then.  He then headed out, not giving much more thought to what the lever was for . . .

Eral the Mason was outside at work when he heard a screech that chilled him to the bone, straight out of stories and nightmares.  He saw a Nightwing swooping down from the entrance tower.  It had been many years since a Nightwing had attacked Towersoared, so all thought that the charm of the pyramid was working.  What had changed?  Then he looked closer, curiosity overcoming caution. 

A masterwork steel chain was wrapped around the beast's neck.  This was the very Nightwing that should be chained up in the pyramid.  It was loose!  He began to run, screaming out the alarm.  It pursued him right up to the top of the pyramid.  It hissed at the glass bridge that sealed the top, spitting its defiance at the prison that held it for so long. 

He ran while the beast was distracted.  Then he noticed it flying into the obsidian factory.  “Look out!” he shouted.  The miners and haulers inside the factory scattered as the beast approached.  Then he saw four of the marksdwarves emerge from the fortress.  They ran over to the obsidian factory, then inside and started shooting.  He heard the beast screech in pain and then there was silence.  Finally, he heard Adker shout in joy, “I got it!  I got it!  That's my bolt in its brain!” 

Zanfar watched from a safe distance, having run upstairs with the other dwarves at the sound of a commotion.  He quietly ground his teeth at the idiocy of the creature.  After all this time, this was the best it could do?  Armok would have to send him better servants than this. 

OOC: A bit of plot to diversify the day.  Honestly, after all these years it was about time for a bit of mayhem.  Sadly, that's the best the stupid Nightwing could do.  I delayed calling the military as long as was reasonable but honestly, it had plenty of time chasing around the dwarves all of whom run much faster than the Nightwing!

@dermonster: Lol!  Ok so by my calculations, your squad members must all be 65% of the way to Legendary, therefore, the lowest level they can join your squad is between Professional and Accomplished skill with their weapon.  Noted for the future!

@Triaxx2: I'll see what I can do.  I think 13x13 all the way down sufficient though, just means there won't be walls between the sections.  It'll make it feel more like an outpost anyhow. 

@kisame12794: You'll be in for the next siege, guaranteed!  Well ok, assuming your dwarf isn't asleep when the call to arms comes.  :)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 01:28:33 pm by Battlecat »

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: March 24, 2011, 10:10:38 pm »

OOC: Seiges wait for no dwarf
Also I think Derm is worthy of the Title Demigod, or Armok's blood supplier
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: March 24, 2011, 10:11:52 pm »

And I think that just got sig'd

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: March 24, 2011, 10:30:55 pm »

Syntic's Journal:
Bit of activity today with the Nightwing getting loose from it's prison. When it was dispatched without to much fuss, I took a chance to investigate the chain that should have held it in place. I had thought I might find a broken link that might explain what happened, but it did not take long to find out that the chain was in perfect condition. This was clearly a deliberate act. The list of suspects is a bit to large at this time though, so I've sent in a report to Cog that the official story should be that when the recent cave in for the glass works happened, that a bit of stone was knocked loose and damaged the chain, and over time the Nightwing was able to escape. I'm hoping this public story will make the criminal think that he was all sorts of sneaky and pulled one over our eyes. This should bolster his confidence and he will then likely attempt something more extravagant.

The only people that should be informed that this was an actual act of vandalism should be the highest ranking members of the Guard and Military, and the crafter of the chain that held the Nightwing so that they know personally that their craftsmanship isn't being called into question.

Rashemd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: March 25, 2011, 08:19:27 am »

Diary's of Rashem 13 Slate, 316

Been a while, nother year passed, a Baron has come to Towersoared though he hasn't really started any trouble other than hitting a few of the dwarves, funny really he probably hurt his soft hands more than the dwarf he hit. We've had a goblin ambush (though truth be told they seemed bigger than the ones of years passed). Cog told me by way of message that my "questioning" room in old Towersoared is complete. Had another small ambush and they we're no match for Derm, Catten, Bennet, and me. Cog has reorganized the military and Derm will have his own squad of Legendary warriors, (I hope that I will prove worthy) New plans for an obsidian factory have been drawn up. *the ink(chiseling) appearers fresher here* Damn someone let the chained Nightwing free. I must start my "questioning" soon. All will admit their sins and come to the light and truth. Those goblins must know something if only why some of the more recent ambushes have goblins as large as ugh humans. On a side note mayhaps Syntic will work with me to find the one that is trying so destroy Towersoared through these seemingly petty things.
Welp they always say ‼LOSING‼ is ‼FUN‼.

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: March 25, 2011, 10:31:39 am »

Indri's Journal, 12th of Hematite 316

Cog sent word that he bought out the entire Elven caravan's stock of dye! It's nice to see the clothing industry getting attention and respect in the fortress. Why, the other dwarfs barely snicker when I walk by and I've only been called 'Softhands' three times this week. But we'll show them the value of our work, we will!

I also heard that the Nightwing thing got loose upstairs and had to be put down. I wonder if the captive Giant Cave Spider could be chained in its place? I wonder if it could be tamed? Could you imagine being able to get fresh GCS silk on demand! That would be awesome!
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Omen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: March 25, 2011, 10:59:22 am »

Omen's Journal 19th of Hematite 316

I got to see the Nightwing!  Unfortunately it was dead, so I didn't get to see how it moved.  Cog says they aren't tamable.  That's a shame.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: March 25, 2011, 11:56:40 am »

Cog's Journal, 20th of Hematite 316

Sabotage!  The worst case of sabotage I've seen since the destruction of all those crafts many years ago.  This was a deliberate attempt to injure dwarves.  Several security systems were in place to ensure the Nightwing would not escape including a set of locked hatches and a series of cage traps.  Both the cage traps and the hatches were sabotaged allowing the beast to enter the fortress proper.  We’re just very lucky it didn’t go into the bedrooms.

Having a lever to release the beast for re-caging seemed like a good idea the time, but I never considered the possibility that lever could be abused.  A work order must have been issued for it to be released so cleanly with no damage to the chain as Syntic discovered during his investigation. 

I had an interesting meeting with Syntic to discuss what to tell the fortress at large.  I think his idea is a good one but I just suggest one change.  The chain is obviously undamaged and has been witnessed as such by several dwarves in the mining site.  It’s far more likely that the sand collapse or some other mining activity in the area damaged the release mechanisms, triggering them by accident. 

It fits better with the events that occurred and it doesn’t insult any craftsdwarves, especially since the mechanisms were some of the first crafted in this fortress.  The only dwarf who will know this isn’t true the one who actually pulled the lever.  But he’ll believe he fooled us which as Syntic said, is the important thing. 

I'll have to ask Syntic to redouble his efforts at watching the dwarves.  Funny enough, his choice to work every job in the fortress gives him good reason to be snooping around.  Someone wants to stop our work here. 

And oh, apparently there's a beast in the lowest cave level. 

This one is gross beyond words!  According to reports it's lurking at the bottom of a deep lake out of reach and fish are floating up to the surface dead around it.  Hopefully it will wander close enough for our archers to take care of it.  I expect this will be one for the archers.  I don’t trust those poison creatures.  There's a lot going on, so for the moment I'm going to have the access to the third cave level sealed. 

Cog's Journal, 24th of Malachite 316

Indri came by briefly with several ideas involving chaining the giant cave spider in the pyramid.  Or even the possibility of taming it.  I countered by presenting an idea I’ve been percolating for some time now.  If we place the spider caged in a secure room with lots of space and release it and dump a few extra animals in the room, it might produce silk to try and capture the animal.  Silk that could be harvested once the spider is recaptured. 

It might even be possible to do this without actually sacrificing any animals.  More research is needed but it is something I’m considering.

Cog's Journal, 1st of Malachite 316

Derm expressed his disappointment to me that he didn’t get to fight the grime beast.  Well I think he’ll enjoy fighting this one. 

Go get it Derm!

Events of the 2nd of Malachite 316

Derm the Soulchopper was ready for battle once again.  For one moment, he thought he was going to miss out on the fun when the creature stumbled into the cage traps. 

But the beast quickly burst the cage open and continued its steady walk towards the fortress.  Derm shouted out a challenge. “Oi, UGLY!  Yes I mean both of you!  Bad luck getting hit by the ugly stick in both faces don't you think?” 

The Ettin roared in anger with one head at the insult and the other head shouted “You are no match for me puny dwarf.  I am Gerthu the Destroyer.  I will stomp you and all your other puny dwarves to take this place as my home!”  And then it charged at Derm.  Derm deftly sidestepped the clumsy charge and with a twitch of his axe, he fractured the Ettin's left foot, tearing nerves and tendons.  In response the Ettin collapsed to the ground gasping in pain.   

Derm looked at the thing with a mixture of pity and disgust.  “That’s it?  Really?  Is this really the best you can do” he asked as he hacked his axe into the right foot with the axe.  “Honestly, I was expecting better.”  Snick went the axe and the Ettin's hand went sailing away.  The Ettin tried to crawl away.  “Seriously” Derm said, “you came here threating to kill my people and take away all our hard work?  And THIS is the best you have to show for it?”  And with that he sent the left head flying. 

The right head looked paler than Derm thought possible.  He continued to idly chop at it with his axe but he was getting bored.  Might as well finish the thing off.  “Goodby Gerthu the Destroyed.”  he said as he carved off the right head with one more deft blow of the axe. 

Forgotten beasts were much more interesting.  It was a shame the one in the depths was probably too dangerous to handle. 

OOC:  Before any of you ask, I used runesmith to remove it from the cage.  A giant getting caught in cage traps is silly!  Now that runesmith works properly, I inspected Derm's stats.  Derm is now a level 69 Axedwarf, level 24 shield user and a level 82 fighter.  Level 16 is legendary, so Derm is now a Legendary +65 fighter and a Legendary +53 Axedwarf! 

On a completely separate note, another two cave lakes started draining off the map without any good reason.  In the interest of preserving fps and not losing a water supply again, I’m using df hack to turn the edge of the map on the two lakes into obsidian and then resetting the water level to 7 throughout the lakes.  Not my preferred solution but I’m out of ideas with bugs like this.  For simulating long term water supply I’ll either occasionally refill it with DF hack to simulate spring floods or add river source tiles to the cave.  Most likely the first one to preserve game integrity.  For now I’m just going to see how far the water supply goes and maybe let the lake drain and then remove the trees before refilling.  Out of the box, these cave lakes are supposed to be infinite.  Something’s obviously wrong with that. 

@kisame12794: I think that might be a good title for Derm as well.

@dermonster: Nifty.  Hope you enjoy the dialog I wrote for Derm today.  I can just see him being sorely disappointed at the poor showing from this Ettin.  And informing the Ettin of it in great detail as he kills it. 

@Syntic: Good idea, Cog has accepted the idea for the official report with one small change as described above.  The mechanisms used were very old. 

@Rashemd: All the veteran military dwarves are well worthy these days!

@Indricotherium: You will indeed.  I’ve got a work order going forward in the next update that’s very important!  On the note of the giant cave spider, I think we have to leave it untamed to make the most reliable silk production.  I’ve got an idea floating around to make a GCS silk farm. 

@Omen: Indeed it is.  War animal training coming soon!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 01:32:42 pm by Battlecat »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 118