Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to get hunters to hunt: Tested  (Read 1517 times)

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to get hunters to hunt: Tested
« on: July 06, 2010, 12:42:44 am »

I tested it in 31-08, to get arsenal dwarfs to assign bolts and hunters to equip bolts:

Have a hunter with the skill enabled. Arsenal dwarf will not assign bolts to a group without a hunter with the skill turned on.

Create a bolt group or two in military ammo screen for hunters - m - f. NEVER delete the bolt groups. If you delete it, the bolts get "locked up" and will never be reassigned. The arsenal dwarf will refill bolt groups as new bolts are made.

Turn on forbid used ammo or else your bolt groups will get filled with recycled single bolts, and your hunters will go out hunting with 2 bolts.

Hunters seem to ignore the bolt group stack sizes after they get refilled a few times. I had it set to 100 but they would only pick up one stack at a time most of the time, though they had 100 bolts at a time before.

The hunter should have a quiver and a crossbow. Once the bolt groups are filled (bolts will be listed in the rightmost panel) - pause and disable the hunting labor on your hunter, then unpause briefly, once the hunter is heading to the weapon stockpile to drop off their weapon, pause again and re-enable hunting. The hunter should drop their crossbow off in the weapon stockpile, pick it back up again, and then go get some bolts and go hunting. Each time they run out of ammo, repeat this last step.

Bolts purchased from a caravan, and bolts that belonged to a deleted bolt group, will never be reassigned by the arsenal dwarf. Consider them useless for hunting.

I tested this carefully but may have missed a step, let me know if this doesn't work for you.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

TealThanatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to get hunters to hunt: Tested
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 01:20:30 am »

Hey mate, the workaround is much simpler than that, I worked it out myself back when they were first broken, I thought everyone sort of knew.

To get hunters to work properly, there's only a couple of things you need to do. (you already mentioned it, but I thought I'd cut out the unnecessary stuff to make it simpler.)

1. Make sure your ammo stockpiles are set to ZERO bins in their settings. Arsenal Dwarf will not assign bolts properly that are in a bin.
2. Make sure bolts are assigned in the military screen for the hunters.
3. Make sure you have quivers available, the hunter won't hunt without a quiver. A quiver can only hold 25 bolts maximum.
4. Simply toggle hunting off your hunter when he's empty, then back on a few seconds later, and he'll refill.

That's all there is to it :) Don't have to worry about all the rest of the stuff you mentioned.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to get hunters to hunt: Tested
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 02:13:41 am »

I have a few dozen stacks of unusable iron bolts that disagree with you. :D  They are in a stockpile with no bins but I cannot assign them to a bolt group in the military hunter ammo screen. They were previously part of a bolt group that I deleted. I can't get the copper bolts I bought from a caravan to be assigned either.

And yeah I forgot to mention to make an ammo stockpile with no bins. For others: If you have your ammo in bins already, make a new ammo stockpile, set bins to 0 (with "C" I think) and set it to take from the existing stockpile.

How to break your bolts: Create a bolt group for them, let the arsenal dwarf fulfill it, then delete the bolt group. Watch them be unusable ever again.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 02:25:51 am by Beeskee »
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.