Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: [0.34.XX] Dwarven Higher Learning Mod v2.2 - Menaces with Spikes of Paper!  (Read 47024 times)

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile

Question: Why can I not find the library & such in any build menu?

And yes, I gen'd a new world.
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile

Nice little mod Shukaro.   Just to let you know, from my experience with my stone destroyer mod, a lot of the professions listed in the entity default.txt file do not work in custom buildings yet, but I think as the versions move up more and more will.

So if any of them do not actually train the skills yet just give it some time and I think they will.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Urist McAddict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why not have teacher's use some workshop to create books from logs and those books would be used in the reaction for the library?
That would make a little bit more sense opposed to creating things from nothing =P
Just a thought here...

Shukaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Snook - Have you created and filled the correct files? And added the lines to entity_default under the mountain entry?

Profit - That seems to be a fairly serious problem, I'll have to go through my reactions and make a list of any that don't work.

McAddict - None of the reactions create something from nothing, they all have 1-3 reagents.

I just wish I could mess with skill training rates and level caps with reactions. The closest I could get now is to create two or more reactions for each skill with varying reagents. As for the level caps, I can't touch those now, although you can set them with the profiles menu.
Urist McHauler Cancels Give Food: Patient Insane
------------------------------------------------------------------
Mouse Fortress | Custom Menu and Hotkey Framework
Dwarven Higher Learning Mod | Alternative Skill Training

Shukaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Good news everybody! Knowledge of paper and books has now reached the mountainhome!

Addendum: Back-to-back out of town trips truly wreak havoc on updates.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 07:39:58 pm by Shukaro »

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile

*cough* Does this still work for 31.12? I guess I'll try. And maybe it'll work for me this time!

SeigeOps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*cough* Does this still work for 31.12? I guess I'll try. And maybe it'll work for me this time!

Works fine for me, although I can't seem to get all of the training shop options, primarily the smithy jobs. Am I doing something wrong or is it not implemented yet?

On the positive side, my doctors are no longer rusty at their trade and I have something to do with all the vermin remains (although I think you may need to devalue the cadavers a bit, Shukaro; I'm getting 40-80 dwarfbucks on average). Right now, I am setting up a training room for my military and training up a 'Drill Sargent' (with weapons, armor and teaching skills) to whip all the recruits into shape. Maggots.

One last question, do books do anything aside from look nice and be a decent trade good?

Shukaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If not all the options are available to you (not all of the professions have a reaction, see the list), and you installed it correctly, then you should check to make sure you have the required reagents for the reactions (books, slates, weapons, shields, metal bars, etc). As for the cadaver values, I think the value of toys is hardcoded, so I can't do much about it. The books are used in the library reactions.

As for compatibility, it should be compatible with anything 31 onward, provided Toady doesn't change up the raw syntax again.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 11:19:30 am by Shukaro »

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile

Yeah, I got it working. Sweeet!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

I like this simple little mod.
It does not feel cheaty, since you actually need to put effort into the materials for learning, and the learning process itself is pretty slow.
As long as the military training is not working properly, I'll be using this.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I like this simple little mod.
It does not feel cheaty, since you actually need to put effort into the materials for learning, and the learning process itself is pretty slow.
As long as the military training is not working properly, I'll be using this.

As far as I know it is working properly....am I missing something?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

My previous fort, after 4 years of normal military training (demonstrations mostly, every now and then they spar, but way too little), my dwarves hadn't even reached skilled yet in the basic fighting skills.
This learning mod gets them up to adequate in 5 combat skills of choice in about 2 years of grinding.

Also, I've found no way to prevent the 'depressed/angered/enraged by long patrol duty' thought, which is a pretty harsh negative.
Even with a legendary dining room, great booze and meals, decent personal rooms and a mist generator in their training barracks, I had a hard time keeping my military happy after a few years of training.
Even when setting military to 'inactive' / no orders only gets them to go on individual combat training sessions, keeping the negative thought.
I guess that's a bug still to be fixed.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What you need to do is go into the orders menu and there is an option to select how many dwarfs are required for the scheduled task (default 10) if you put this to 1 or 2 below how many dwarfs or in your squad it should take care of most of the unhappy thoughts because it allows them time off on shifts of there choice and it allows you to not waste months on being inactive.

as for speed of training....train them in teaching/student....these will make demonstrations much more efficient...you can also put the people in training in small squads of about 3 and this will have them spar a lot more often.

this is because demonstrations happen when one dwarf gets ahead of the other dwarfs in a skill....essentially the system tries to keep everyone on the same level and so when someone falls behind demonstrations are used to bring them up to speed

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Now this is an extremely useful looking mod. I read about the library workshop in the Genesis mod while browsing the skill rusting thread, and then saw that the Genesis mod seems to have 99.99999% stuff that I don't want.

Thank you for creating just the library without the flameball spitting sylvan dwarves and norse speaking aryans or whatever that was.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

I'm curious: What exactly are the tracking, and the reading /writing skills used for? I have not seen them in vanilla dwarf fortess, but I suppose they're already hardcoded in?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10