Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: [0.34.XX] Dwarven Higher Learning Mod v2.2 - Menaces with Spikes of Paper!  (Read 47057 times)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

yes they are hardcoded but I think they are merely placeholders right now. I have seen nothing that indicates otherwise

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is it me or there is lot of typpo from the product entry in the various task like getregentmaterial from A when it should be B and so on?
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

drayath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Here's the (completely unofficial) reactions files i'm using in my game that fixes the reaction product material types and a wood duplication bug in one of the reactions.

Should just be able to replace the file in an existing game.

reaction_library.txt
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Drayath's Gem Splitting Workshop - Split large gems and gem trinkets into numbers of small gems.
Drayath's Seed Brewery - Convert bags of spare seeds into useful booze.

Shukaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks for pointing out those errors, I've updated the OP now, so it should be fine.

If only notepad++ could tell me, "Hey, stupid, you put an A there instead of a B."  :'(
Urist McHauler Cancels Give Food: Patient Insane
------------------------------------------------------------------
Mouse Fortress | Custom Menu and Hotkey Framework
Dwarven Higher Learning Mod | Alternative Skill Training

Vince7403

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Unintended silliness: At embark, you can take things like paper and cadavers, made from such materials as bronze, silver, rose gold, etc.

Seven dwarves abscond with the gilded remains of their saintly ancestors in their wagon. Ford the river, then STRIKE THE EARTH!

Shukaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And that, my friends, is exactly what a true dwarf would do.

It's also what comes of using the toy token for those items.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's possible to avoid the issue entirely if you're willing to create everything through reactions, as then the toy doesn't even need to be added to the dwarf entity entry.

Shukaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

True, that's probably the best thing to do now. I'll update the OP.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile

Lovely Mod.

I plan on using it in my Washington D.C. Mega Project in the Library of Congress.
Lisidadil - A story of one of my first forts.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

Shukaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah, if only the real library of congress was staffed by a horde of short, drunk, insane people.  :'(

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I mean, studying mining in library? WTF?

studying medical skills and social skills in library makes sense.

Not some ... mining.

Well, IRL mining and mining engineering do require a fair amount of study and training to make sure you don't screw up and cause a cave-in and/or to actually access the deeper veins.  This isn't really modeled in DF because you're the one designating mining and all that, but it's a real issue when it comes to actual mining.

On a related note, I would sort of like having skill in mining or a related skill required to identify stones, gems, and ores.  It's sort of odd that some random peasant can pick up a pick and automatically identify different ores when digging in to the rock.  Of course, this can be explained by the likely fact that, dwarves being dwarves, pretty much everyone has some education regarding types of stone...
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Re: [0.31.X] Dwarven Higher Learning Mod v2.1 - Menaces with Spikes of Paper!
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2010, 08:09:03 am »

Just found this via the original poster's signature and really like the sound of it, but I have a suggestion for making it even more realistic and challenging.

Wax and slate etc could be used to create blank slates, which are then used in a reaction called 'write instruction manual' to create a 'wax/slate [skill] text' using the relevant workshop. This is then used in a reaction in a 'reading room' built from one chair and one table (do you need one block of stone as well to build all custom workshops?) with about a 98% chance of keeping the original tablet afterwards to simulate wear and tear or breakages.
Producing instruction manuals for skills that don't have their own workshop could be done in a 'study' or something similar, which could also be used for creating duplicate tablets using the prose skill.

There's not much we can do about the lack of item-quality modifiers in the reactions mechanic, but it would add a bit of flavour by enabling proper libraries with texts stacked by subject and dwarves liking particular types of text.

Also, why not make parchment behave as a type of cloth?
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Shukaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2010, 11:45:26 am »

Adding in a second tier of tablet/books for different skills sounds like something that would add a lot more realism to the whole learning thing, so I'll look into that, I'll also be checking out more unique reactions, and probably a bookshelf workshop of some sort. As for making parchment behave like cloth, that's an interesting idea, but then you have dwarves running around in tower cap paper trousers and stuff like that.  :-\

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2010, 06:22:10 pm »

Actually, the paper of that era would be quite weatherproof if waxed; it'd be fairly thick and stiff, and even modern paper makes a good insulator. And when you consider the fact that dwarves make almost everything out of stone and their primary domestic source of cloth is also an important source of booze, parchment as a means of producing cheap clothing isn't all that illogical.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Moonshine Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2010, 12:33:01 am »

Awesome, I most definately need to try this when I get home. Sweet! Btw, you should totally name this mod "Dwarven University" ;)

EDIT: I heard proper spelling helps communication. *doh*
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 07:30:49 am by Moonshine Fox »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10