Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: [0.34.XX] Dwarven Higher Learning Mod v2.2 - Menaces with Spikes of Paper!  (Read 46762 times)

Shukaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Have you ever wondered to yourself, "Man, my dwarves are such idiots, I wish I could chisel some intelligence into their heads."? No? Then, er, disregard that last bit. What I present to you, here and now, no strings attached, is a workshop to solve a problem that you probably didn't even know you had! I call it, the Dwarven Higher Learning Mod. Now, what this thingawazzit does, is give your dwarves an opportunity to polish up some skills that they may have trouble practicing elsewhere. You know the situation, Urist McDoctor has your legendary axedwarf on your table, and he's got no idea how to stop him from bleeding out from wounds caused by rogue fluffy wamblers. Or you have precious little metal available on the glacier you so stupidly bravely embarked on, so you can't afford to waste it on dabbling weaponsmiths who've never handled a hammer before in their lives. This mod's workshops allow training through the time-honored traditions of; hitting rocks until your hands bleed, performing repetitive actions that will sap your will to live, practicing your skills on subjects that are worth less than most peasants (and won't sue for malpractice), and studying the works of your fellow dwarves, knowing full-well that you'll never be quite as good as them. Any questions, comments, suggestions (especially these), complaints, offers of money, or threats of lawsuits (I have an awesome lawyerdwarf, just sayin') should be presented in this thread.

------------------------------------------------

This mod contains five new workshops.

The Training Workshop
This workshop gives your unskilled laborers a chance to hone their skills (overseers not included).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Library
A quiet place for scholarly pursuits, the honing of all social skills, and booze.

The Medical Ward
Where dwarves who've failed out of the Mountainhome Medical School for Dwarves go to practice their skills.

The Training Dummy
A construct of incredibly intricate design, which dwarves may whack to improve their skills. Beware, it may fight back. Sometimes with water.

The Printers Workshop
The place where dwarves get down to the dirty work of producing literature. And paper.

Please use profiles to determine which dwarves you want to train.

------------------------------------------------------------

So, you've been enticed by these morsels and promises of epic, er, something or other? Yes? Then follow these simple instructions and you'll be running my mod in no time. No? Then carefully create a lever, connect it to an adjacent support, build a wide floor on said support, use the profile screen to restrict the lever's use to you, and add the Pull task to the lever. Then recieve your prize.

Download HERE

Simply extract the .zip file directly into your Dwarf Fortress folder.
If you have mods that change the entity_default already installed, then do not extract entity_default.
Instead, add these lines to the Mountain entry (Typically the first one) in entity_default in your raw/objects folder after you have extracted the other files. (If you aren't playing as dwarves, then add it to the appropriate entry)

Remember, adding new buildings or reactions to an existing world will not work. You must generate a new world after adding these files to raw/objects and/or adding lines to entity_default.

Many thanks to everybody with their helpful suggestions and feedback. Special thanks go to Shaostul, without his amazing guide this mod would not be possible. To Zared for his amazing workshop drawing tool. And of course special thanks to Toady, without his amazing game, our lives would be bleak, desolate, and quite dull.

Changelog

FAQ
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 11:06:29 am by Shukaro »
Urist McHauler Cancels Give Food: Patient Insane
------------------------------------------------------------------
Mouse Fortress | Custom Menu and Hotkey Framework
Dwarven Higher Learning Mod | Alternative Skill Training

Dummedu

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Ya spravku dostal shto ya s-s-s-sibanuty!
    • View Profile

Cool mod bro, there was such threads time ago, and there was a hard discuss about the skills. (It was possible to learn all the skills and people was like "wtf, how can dorrf become an uber-fighter reading literature?")

rgon842

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cool mod bro, there was such threads time ago, and there was a hard discuss about the skills. (It was possible to learn all the skills and people was like "wtf, how can dorrf become an uber-fighter reading literature?")

Because the pen is mightier than the sword.  :P

Nice job, Shukaro! This workshop will be helpful to my little schizophrenics; learning to smelt steel through reading a pamphlet show clearly demonstrate the comprehension capacities of the bearded ones.

BoomClap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

what's the point.. and I just feel like this is just a cheap rip-off of deon's genesis mod.

I mean, studying mining in library? WTF?

studying medical skills and social skills in library makes sense.

Not some ... mining.

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile

Cool idea, I'll try it out.

And mining doesn't seem like the thing you'd care about wasting on an unskilled dwarf. More important, expensive-to-train skills on the other hand... Like Siege Engineering, Gemcutting if you have no sand, you get the picture.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

what's the point.. and I just feel like this is just a cheap rip-off of deon's genesis mod.

Seriously?  The thing that impresses you about Genesis is that he has some training workshops?  Not the Dwarf castes or the other races or the dozen extra mods folded in?  It's the anatomical theatre and the training dummy and the library that has 0 overlap with this one?

Some people maybe want to just have a library, not a Snakemen invasion in the middle of Obsidian Dwarf induced stockpile fire.  (Not me though, I'm really liking the flaming dorfs).

And honestly, I can see wanting to vary what you have.  Maybe have training dummy and anatomical theatre and both libraries.

I'm with you on the mining thing though.  Siege engineering would not be amiss.

Also, what about adding more skills, but making the library bigger.

But the name Library isn't exactly trademarked by Deon.  Still maybe several different libraries could be named: Reference Library, Trade Library, Public Library, Technical Library, Stacks, etc.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 02:05:07 am by UmbrageOfSnow »

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile

Marking this very interesting thread so I don't forget about it.

I think making a single large workshop would defeat the purpose of a large library. You'd want to make dozens of small workshops or "sections" and arrange them into a large dwarven library, so many dwarves could read at once. Hopefully in an atmosphere of huge, imposing carved columns and engraved walkways.

Don't you love it when posting or reading gives you a new great idea for your fortresses!?
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile

I also agree with him on the smaller workshop part.

Imagine if they're like study tables, and they use 'books' in the reaction to train or something...
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also marking this thread.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile

I also agree with him on the smaller workshop part.

Imagine if they're like study tables, and they use 'books' in the reaction to train or something...
That's what I did for my game. I just put a low percent chance of getting the book back, so you have to keep printing books to get "easy" skills.

Shukaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What I want with this workshop is to make it so skills that are difficult to train elsewhere can be trained here, at a cost. About the smaller workshops, I think I'll split it into two or possibly three workshops for different skills. Thanks for all the input guys! And the books are sounding pretty good, I might do something like "tablets" or something.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 07:50:51 am by Shukaro »

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Create a reaction and tack it onto the soap makers workshop that allows for the creation of wax tablets. Since wax is highly malleable it would work well as a writing tablet that can be used over and over again. Just set the return rate at 90% for the studying reaction which allows you to simulate when the wax tablet is no longer usable. And wax is just a tallow product so it would fit. Just a suggestion.
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

Shukaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That actually sounds pretty realistic, although it suffers from the problem of being crippled in forts without animals, I'll check it out.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile

I mean, studying mining in library? WTF?

studying medical skills and social skills in library makes sense.

Not some ... mining.
proper swinging technique

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate

If you could tie it to the dwarfs Student skill, perhaps toss in a "Librarian" with Teaching skill...  Set limits on how high you could train, based on these factors (and perhaps the availability of lab materials), then this would be a very cool mod.  Not that it isn't as it stands!

I do like the idea of individual workshops for each skill (or skill cluster), that you could then arrange into your own library/community college/university.  Hmmm...  How to require an appointed dwarf to enable the reactions?  If possible, how to tie that dwarfs skill to the quality of reactions?

Library = pamphlets only, low skill increases.  Librarian noble required.
Community college = books, low-grade teachers and poor lab materials, moderate skill gains.  Librarian noble required.
University = books, high-grade teachers and fine lab materials, significant skill gains.  Provost/chancellor noble required.

Again, depends on if/how the quality of the reagents and custom positions can be worked into the equation.
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10