Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: [0.34.XX] Dwarven Higher Learning Mod v2.2 - Menaces with Spikes of Paper!  (Read 46761 times)

Shukaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Those are great ideas, but right now you sadly can't tie nobles to workshops. But you can, if you want set maximum skill "allowed" in the workshop via profiles, and you can also set quality limits on custom stockpiles. As for quality, I'm not sure, if a custom workshop's items can have a quality modifier, I'll have to test that, or someone else will say. Much of the stuff that it would be awesome to be able to get at is still hardcoded and out of reach.
Urist McHauler Cancels Give Food: Patient Insane
------------------------------------------------------------------
Mouse Fortress | Custom Menu and Hotkey Framework
Dwarven Higher Learning Mod | Alternative Skill Training

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate

Darn.  You can still add the nobles into the raws, and use them for flavor.  And in preparation for Toady someday opening up the noble/workshop interactions...  :)
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

Shukaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, then people could make a library burrow, and assign them to it, pretty cool, if purely aesthetic.

Shukaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, I think I've got what I want to do for v2.0 down pretty well. There will be 3 workshops, a training workshop, a library, and a combat dummy (got the idea from the genesis mod (awesome mod by Deon, we should give him cookies)). The training workshop will have physical nonmilitary skills like mining and engraving, the library will have nonphysical nonmilitary skills like organizing and surgery, and the dummy will have combat skills. I'm also adding a new item called chalk slate which will be used as a reagent for most of the reactions and can be produced in the training workshop.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile

Yeah, then people could make a library burrow, and assign them to it, pretty cool, if purely aesthetic.
build a noble into a workshop... place workshop into path of lava flow.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud

More book materials:
Slate
Shale
Mica
Leather
Cloth
Metal sheets

Thicker materials (like Slate and Leather) would probably require more individual items. Metal is the ultimate dwarfy book material IMO. And don't forget the dyes available! If I were making a library mod I'd add those to the reactions if it made sense. Cloth and leather books would last a lot longer than slate, shale and mica would fall apart easily, and metal would last the longest. And if you made books something ownable, dwarves could wander off with them to their rooms, an annoying but amusing problem (especially if they can still be used in the training "reactions" and are subsequently destroyed)
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Awesome idea, but i have a couple of question, int he library reaction to practice surgery, suturing, and wound dressing requires meat to practice with. I'm not big on leaving meat around to rot (not for the loss of food, but more for concerns regarding the creation of miasma.)

would it be possible to remove the meat parts from teh reaction and have it work?
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate

Awesome idea, but i have a couple of question, int he library reaction to practice surgery, suturing, and wound dressing requires meat to practice with. I'm not big on leaving meat around to rot (not for the loss of food, but more for concerns regarding the creation of miasma.)

would it be possible to remove the meat parts from teh reaction and have it work?

New reaction: Convert corpses (or meat) into cadavers for learning...  :)
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

Star Weaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I noticed in the error log that it was complaining about an invalid BUILD_LABOR of MASONRY for the building. I changed it to MASON and it stopped complaining. Looks like there's not full overlap with SKILL tags for that :\

Shukaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks for the heads up on the labor, I'll fix it in the next release. As for the meat, I think I'll make a fourth workshop for medical skills, and it will probably use a conversion reaction or two like that. As for the different properties of books, really the only distinction that I could make would be between things that can rot and those that can't without heavy item modding (so that isn't out of the realm of possibility for later releases), but as far as any functional difference, I can't make reactions give more or less experience at the moment. As for ownership, right now, the slates are classified as toys, so that's entirely possible.

EDIT: By next release I meant right now
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 02:47:44 pm by Shukaro »

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

you dont have to rework the mod regarding the meat, I was just wondering what would happen if I took that particular tag out.
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

Shukaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nothing bad would happen, if you want to remove meat use, just remove all reagent and product tags that have meat in them.

Shukaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Higher Learning Mod v2.0 - Menaces with Spikes of Knowledge!
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2010, 06:39:52 pm »

Tada! Ultramegaawesome new major big update!

SeigeOps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2010, 08:38:54 pm »

Tada! Ultramegaawesome new major big update!

Excellent looking mod, will definitely try it. As clarification, any non-eco stone can be used as a reading slate?

Star Weaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2010, 10:47:53 pm »

Cool. I threw 1.0 in as an alternative to making my own medical library, since I mainly want something for my dedicated doctors to do aside from stare at the wall and whine that they can't put their seeds back in the stockpile.

I'll probably throw 2.0 or whatever you're up to in next time I need to gen a new world ^_^.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10