Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Waiters / Delivery

(1/2) > >>

smeej:
I desire the ability to have a Retrieval labor that when activated has the dwarf seek out an object that another dwarf needs or will need. This would allow someone in a workshop to work more constantly as resources or drinks are delivered to them.(My main desire to have this is so that I can have a bartender set up food on tables for people, but I do think there could be some possible minor benefits to such a skill. I would also enjoy the idea of having to have a percentage of your dwarves run shops and whatnot once your Fortress got large enough, but that's another thread. >_> )Thoughts?

Capntastic:
quote:Originally posted by smeej:
<STRONG>I would also enjoy the idea of having to have a percentage of your dwarves run shops and whatnot once your Fortress got large enough
</STRONG>You can build shops that your dwarves will run once the economy kicks in.   Never used 'em much myself but they are there.

Doniazade:
It would be excellent to have such delivery boys haul for several jobs in advance - for example, if a workshop has ten doors queued up he would deliver ten units of stone to it at once, instead of hauling them one by one as new tasks become active.

Areyar:
hmm...A)
it would be hugely inefficient in a small fortress, but if large enough the waiter/bartender-profession could be usefull.rewiring the get food/get drink job to first look for a nearby set table and go there. if not, get food in a stockpile and then look for unused throne(+table) as usual.The hard part is probably in preventing the serf from putting food on all tables in the fortress and leaving it to spoil.B)
Doing things the other way round would prevent such inefficient spoilage, but the extra chain would not really increase efficency...
Even if the waiter gets the order from the aether. It would only save time if the serf was waiting in the foodstocks themselves.D1(hungry)->go to dininghall,
serf(get food for D1)->bring food to D1.C)
Most realistic would be to have waiters only serf in 'food-shops'
(aka restaurants/inns/taverns), all other possible locations would be self service eats. +Nice happy thoughts about the superb service.hungry dwarf goes to an inn, hovering waiter hurries to the dwarf, dwarf asseses the menu(food inventory) and makes a choice, waiter goes and retrieves it.
Dwarf pays the price of the meal plus extra for the service.
The only good part about this is that the hungry dwarf is more happy about being able to rest a bit not having to haul it's own food.
A good service would require at least one waiter for every several tables, depending on distance to larder and number of hungry dwarves.
Happy thought dependent on time taken to get served, time can be stretched by high social skills in waiter, if time exceeded dwarf goes to get food himself and recieves a bad thought about the 'awfull service recieved at Sigur's eatery'.

Yammo:
Making sure a workshop is supplied with materials.
(without overflowing haulers with item-haul)
code:
.....+V - To Plant-storage
.....+.+
++++++.++
+WWW+P.P+  W - Farmers workshop(making thread)
+WWW....+
+WWW+P.P+  P - Storage for plants that can be used for thread.
++++++.++      Make sure u use q-s-t and select "take from".
.....+.+
.....+V - To cloth storage
[ June 06, 2008: Message edited by: Yammo ][ June 06, 2008: Message edited by: Yammo ]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version