Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Adamantine weapons?  (Read 8928 times)

Nibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adamantine weapons?
« on: July 06, 2010, 03:07:37 am »

According to the wiki, adamantine "may" not be suitable for making weapons in the newest version, because it's weightless, and weight is an important factor in determining weapon strength.  Is this true?  Would I be better off sticking to steel weapons?  How about armour?

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
Re: Adamantine weapons?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 03:10:47 am »

Don't make blunt weapons from it. Cutting should (?) be fine.

And it makes great armor and clothes.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 03:26:39 am »

You want to look at this

Soluzar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 05:23:53 am »

I hope it is alright if I ask another question about Adamantine here. I've yet to encounter any, being new to the game, but I was under the impression that when you do it would be a bad idea to mine it, so... how do people get Adamantine to make weapons, armour and other products from without unleashing all kinds of Fun?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 05:25:52 am »

I hope it is alright if I ask another question about Adamantine here. I've yet to encounter any, being new to the game, but I was under the impression that when you do it would be a bad idea to mine it, so... how do people get Adamantine to make weapons, armour and other products from without unleashing all kinds of Fun?

Be careful, and have a system ready to wall off (bridge, collapsing ceiling, etc) the mining tunnel.

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 05:48:36 am »

Be careful, and have a system ready to wall off (bridge, collapsing ceiling, etc) the mining tunnel.
Throw caution to the wind and equip every last dwarf with naught but a pick!

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 12:30:33 pm »

Spoilered for obvious reasons.  (Nothing too major, though)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The walling-off system is not a good solution imho, since FUN is a serious drain on FPS.

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 12:37:46 pm »

do the dwarf thing and  burn the goblin spy in the fiery blood of the blood god, along with the traitor dwarfs that came with him.

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 01:14:08 pm »

Does anyone know a link to the weapon damage calculations offhand? Since axes use both weight and edge to determine damage, I'd like to see how their exact calculation compares to hammers and swords.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 01:29:33 pm »

Throw caution to the wind and equip every last dwarf with naught but a pick!
We're all so helpful here on the Dwarf Fortress forums.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 01:41:35 pm »

Does anyone know a link to the weapon damage calculations offhand? Since axes use both weight and edge to determine damage, I'd like to see how their exact calculation compares to hammers and swords.

Nobody knows the calculations but Toady, I think.  For more mundane metals, though, generally axes > swords > spears > hammers and maces; dunno about adamantine axes. In the current version, anyway. In 31.09 which should be released later this week, the weapons will be more balanced (but adamantine bludgeons will still probably be crappy).
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 01:51:58 pm »

Yup, 31.09 looks to be interesting.

Bladed weapons will be just as devastating against unarmored opponents as they currently are, with limbs being chopped off all the time. However bladed weapons are apparently getting a nerf against armored opponents. Blunt weapons sound like they will essentially ignore armor, meaning against heavy armor blunt weapons will actually be better than a bladed weapon.

At least this is from what I understand from my reading of the dev log.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 01:55:20 pm »

According to the wiki, adamantine "may" not be suitable for making weapons in the newest version, because it's weightless, and weight is an important factor in determining weapon strength.  Is this true?  Would I be better off sticking to steel weapons?  How about armour?
adamantine makes for the best armour in the game, as well as the best CUTTING weapons (swords, axes). For BLUNT weapons (hammers, maces) platinum is the best, due to being the heaviest.

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 03:03:37 pm »

Well, the main reason I'm asking is for adamantium... if axes have the damage of swords plus the damage of hammers, then even the low density of adamantium would make an axe better than a sword; for steel, an axe would be far superior to a sword. However, if the damage of an axe was half the damage of a sword and half the damage of a hammer, then an adamantium axe would be about half as powerful as an adamantium sword.

I'm also curious, since weight and sharpness both factor into axes, and many materials have different values of each, where exactly axes and swords are superior to one another in different materials. For example, bronze has the same max edge as steel, but is heavier. Bismuth bronze has the same edge and is heavier still.

Last, and this I've never gotten an answer for, how good are platinum axes, since they have lots of weight but a very poor max edge. I'd calculate it myself, but... guess not. :P

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 03:09:34 pm »

Last, and this I've never gotten an answer for, how good are platinum axes, since they have lots of weight but a very poor max edge. I'd calculate it myself, but... guess not. :P

It's my impression that edge is more important for axes than weight.

Pages: [1] 2