Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Caravan arc : fleets

(1/2) > >>

Areyar:
Basically a suggestion to include fleets as caravan type that can travel on water (ocean/sea/lakes/river/not minor brooks) of at least one level deep.I'm not sure whether or to what degree Toady has the concept of ships in woldgen/DF ingame world movement planned already...I relied on the wiki for links to the devnotes etc. :dumb:
Can't find any relevant threads on the forum (fleets/ships) anyhow.---From any coastal site (with access to wood) settling expeditions can head for the lands across the blue yonder and trading fleets can set forth to (known) ports.
bloating: May require friendly relations with the port-siteowner or an earlier exploration expedition having located the site.humans and elves should have an advantage here...but mainly due to their favorite site locations greater likelyhood to be next to a coast.
(bloat) Range of naval expeditions can vary a bit by culture too.
(bloat) a 'naval tag' can be added for cultures that prefer to settle coastals and become naval powers.(army-arc)
Marine military invasions can be implemented.
Sea battles with coastal patrol fleets.advantages of naval transport are :
bulk transport
less tiring than marching
Can be shorter than skirting around an ocean.
disadvantage is unreliability of speed can be fast with favourable winds, but just as easilly end up delayed by a wayward squall.
another is: ships and dwarfs can sink on water, like wagons cannot.hmm...are highway robberies (and other potentially deadly occurences) considdered for caravans already?
Not the DF ambushes, more like a pre-DF ambush.

Areyar:
really?
... is this a suggestion repeated to death?
why no reaction to this, it seems a rather logical idea.
...Not even a "this is already in devnote REQ666" ?

Duke 2.0:
Perhaps we can't think of something funny to say about it? Personally, I want to see more towns based upon water features. Sure you will get a town NEAR a body of water, but you don't ever get any town in the same wold tile as a coast. Once that is fixed, perhaps trading could be possible. But currently, bodies of water are more like large lakes than oceans. When we can get more specific controls over world-gen, we can make worlds that can be used for transport. Now they don't really go anywhere. I'm sure Toady had some discussions on ship movement, as the current multi-tile objects are glitchy enough without being a more complex shape.

Areyar:
Yeah.
about multitile ships: I really don't care how it is implemented right now.
A waterborn wagon would suffice (minus the horses).
But as the title said...caravan arc is likely the req.I have seen plenty of seashore (human) towns.More influence on worldgen is also one of my favorite ponies. :0
...Although I understand 'world' is a bit of a misnomer, as I understand it, the generator attempts to generate not an entire world but just a small region of one.
...or more comonly known as a pocket universe.  ;)[ June 06, 2008: Message edited by: Areyar ]

Samyotix:
That would also be neat when you start on an island ...But then, would you have to build ballistae to defend against goblins using the same kind of boat? Hmm ...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version