Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Windows emulation on Mac for DF utilis?  (Read 470 times)

anacrucis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Windows emulation on Mac for DF utilis?
« on: July 06, 2010, 06:23:12 pm »

Mac users: I've been happy running the OSX version of DF, but I miss using Stonesense, et al.

I'm curious if anyone has preferences for programs like Fusion or Parallels vs Boot Camp, etc. I can read reviews on the intartubes all day but they can't tell me what y'all might be able to: what runs all these potentially buggy, alpha-release programs simultaneously, most stably?

castellan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Windows emulation on Mac for DF utilis?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 03:08:25 pm »

You'll probably do fine with any of them. Virtualization is pretty stable now, and some of those offerings have some nice features.

Personally, I use VirtualBox since it's free and open source, and I think it runs great. At my non DF job (perish the thought, I know) we're a VMWare shop, but I have a VirtualBox install on my work laptop for fiddling around with different OS builds. Windows XP/Vista/7 run fine in it (for varying definitions of "fine" -- this is Microsoft, after all) and I've had success running DF and some of the visualizers, too.

I typically play DF on my Mac and copy the save file over to a Windows VM if I'm interested in running some of the utils, but for the most part, I'm a purist when it comes to the game and prefer to only use the 3D visualizers and not the memory hacks, etc.

I expect you'll do fine with whichever solution you choose.

anacrucis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Windows emulation on Mac for DF utilis?
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 05:31:00 pm »

Awesome tyvm for the suggestion and input!