Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Guard rooms.  (Read 596 times)

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Guard rooms.
« on: December 02, 2007, 02:35:00 pm »

One of the big problems with fortress defense right now is that it's very hard to keep military dwarves where you want them; even when set to carry their own food and drink, they always eventually wander of to get some more.

So, why not give us the option to set up Dungeon Keeper 2-style guard rooms?  Guard rooms are places where your military dwarves are required to stay on patrol.  They would contain beds, barrels of drinks, and food; other dwarves would keep them supplied via hauling tasks (and there could be options in the room for how much food and drink you want to keep there.)  Guards would even sleep there, so if there's an attack the guard on watch could wake them up and they can leap to defense quickly.  Dwarves will actively try to keep guard rooms manned at all times, even putting off sleeping, going off-duty, and so on if there's nobody else available to replace them (although of course this will make them uphappy.)  The player could also select whether they want a guard room to be manned by melee dwarves, ranged dwarves, or both.  Or even siege operators.

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Metal Chao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guard rooms.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 02:41:00 pm »

That's a nice idea.
Plus you could set your complex series of guard towers to a guard room and have it constantly manned with dwarves.
That would be awesome.

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 04:56:00 pm »

You can do this already.  Build a room.  Put a pair of soldiers on duty, station them inside.  Assign a small drink stockpile and small prepared food pile.  Set soldiers to not carry food, not carry water, and sleep on the ground.  A year later, let them off duty and rotate in a couple fresh dwarves.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 05:04:00 pm »

I want to see auto-rotating guards, personally. But otherwise, yes, this is currently possible with a small bit of micromanagement.

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 05:28:00 pm »

What I've always really wanted is assignable barracks, where soldiers will only spar and sleep in the barracks they are assigned.  Thus, the fort guards could have a little romper room out front, maybe get the drop on a kobold one day and keep their spines from getting broken by my career Macedwarves.

DamnedChoir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 05:58:00 pm »

I like this, honestly, I've been annoyed with how freely my soldiers wander away from their posts, even DURING AN ATTACK!

This would help a ton.

The theory of evolution by cumulative natural selection is the only theory we know of that is in principle capable of explaining the existence of organized complexity

Dedas

• Bay Watcher
  • The dwarf next door
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 06:18:00 pm »

Why don't you just assign them a patrol route? I always do that to my guard units.

Zulaf

• Bay Watcher
  • Am I learning, or do I only think I am?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 06:35:00 pm »

[Generic approval]
WIERD 2-5-6-8-9-14

Zero Ziat

• Bay Watcher
  • Ello there
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 01:39:00 am »

Woot, you could have dwarves drop magma from some floodgated place with a lever at a siege time.

Or boiling oil, or petrol, or whatever dinos got extinct at.

un tiss un tiss

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 03:06:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by DamnedChoir:
<STRONG>I like this, honestly, I've been annoyed with how freely my soldiers wander away from their posts, even DURING AN ATTACK!</STRONG>

Ha, I saw some rhesus appear on the side of the map and activated my military to guard the entrance to my fort. By the short time the monkeys reached what they were after, all of the guards had wandered off.
My dwarves are not your dwarves.