Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18

Author Topic: World Viewer - Supports Mods + Graphical Map! (8/12)  (Read 66522 times)

FinalSin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World Viewer - Supports Mods + Graphical Map! (8/8)
« Reply #225 on: August 11, 2010, 05:03:04 am »

Is there any way of coaxing Tarn into putting more detail into the legends? I know we can make formal suggestions but it's so obscure and so few people want it I don't think it would get through that way.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 11, 2010, 05:05:20 am »

You would need a stronger argument/suggestion then "more detail into legends"

What are you working on anyways?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 11, 2010, 06:12:58 am »

Yeah, could easily do that. I would almost certainly marry you if any of this happens.

So I've found that it SEEMS like exporting to sqlite is possible, here's some plans.

Spoiler: Thoughts? (click to show/hide)

There is a many-to-many between civs and deities too (which doesn't quite get covered by the deity -> Site -> Civ relationship) that isn't shown. 

Specifically I'm not outputting events, because since I can display information in the program without storing events, I think it can be just as useful in the database without a table (by putting stuff like founders in sites and killed by in HF.

Errrr a relationship indicator would be helpfull here. I can only guess whats "many to many" "one to one" etc.

Between entity and Site: I guess a site can be counquered Multiple times by multiple entitys (also founded(not so much), destroyed, and reclaimed). This can easely be one table between Site and entity with each entitys/sites Primary key, a date and the type of event.

[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

FinalSin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 11, 2010, 11:02:06 am »

You would need a stronger argument/suggestion then "more detail into legends"

What are you working on anyways?

I want to use the worlds generated from DF and use it to augment other games - a bit of game design theory, really. Let's say I write a generic set of puzzles in a text-adventure style. Can I then publish that as a game, and say "Hey, make it personal by adding in a Legends printout. I'll reset the entire story so it takes place in this world!"

I'd like to see what I can do with it.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 11, 2010, 02:48:28 pm »

Yeah, could easily do that. I would almost certainly marry you if any of this happens.

So I've found that it SEEMS like exporting to sqlite is possible, here's some plans.

Spoiler: Thoughts? (click to show/hide)

There is a many-to-many between civs and deities too (which doesn't quite get covered by the deity -> Site -> Civ relationship) that isn't shown. 

Specifically I'm not outputting events, because since I can display information in the program without storing events, I think it can be just as useful in the database without a table (by putting stuff like founders in sites and killed by in HF.

Errrr a relationship indicator would be helpfull here. I can only guess whats "many to many" "one to one" etc.

Between entity and Site: I guess a site can be counquered Multiple times by multiple entitys (also founded(not so much), destroyed, and reclaimed). This can easely be one table between Site and entity with each entitys/sites Primary key, a date and the type of event.

I didn't bother doing that yet.  But they are all one to many.  The lines are actually all supposed to connect from a Primary Key to another table, but I realized I broke that moving stuff around.

It's true that a site can be conquered multiple times.  I hadn't taken that into acocunt in the program so I didn't account for that in here yet.

Thanks for the comments, as I bet you could guess, I don't do database design for a living :).

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 11, 2010, 06:28:33 pm »

This is the best use of VB code I've seen in a long time :P
Legends mode/worldgen data is incredibly amusing at times, but the legends viewer in-game surely has its shortcomings. I am glad to see that "relatively useless" data is getting some love, and tools like this will help more people get more from it. And in modding this is valuable to test interactions or what killed a modded race too early (for debug) and such.
I'll make sure to tell anyone interested in Legends about this. Everyone else should do the same! *cracks whip*
There's too much amusing bullshit hidden in those Legends, who knows what kind of goodness the community can end up doing if it's more accessible than it is now.
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 12, 2010, 12:16:44 am »

This is the best use of VB code I've seen in a long time :P
Legends mode/worldgen data is incredibly amusing at times, but the legends viewer in-game surely has its shortcomings. I am glad to see that "relatively useless" data is getting some love, and tools like this will help more people get more from it. And in modding this is valuable to test interactions or what killed a modded race too early (for debug) and such.
I'll make sure to tell anyone interested in Legends about this. Everyone else should do the same! *cracks whip*
There's too much amusing bullshit hidden in those Legends, who knows what kind of goodness the community can end up doing if it's more accessible than it is now.

Thanks!  Solid 4k lines of VB goodness :D.  Feel free to offer any suggestions or throw a vote on in DFFD if you think it's worthwhile.

I've really enjoyed genning worlds and testing them out here.  I played this game for so long without having any idea about worldgen, I just want to make sure others can get into it without a lot of effort like it took me originally.

V 2.5

@dennislp3
I believe I've fixed the problem with historical figures, please test this.
You also shouldn't get the event popup for plundered site anymore

@Kaelem Gaen
Spoiler: Much better filtering (click to show/hide)
If anyone can think of something else that could go here, feel free to ask.

Removed the request for a last year if you're using XML
Cleaned up the screen a little and some minor related fixes (ex: clicking a site/leader/entity/etc. will now show their name in the frame caption above the listbox, which I had meant to do, and did for civs)

Edit - Found a bug that might show up in larger worlds where histfig kills will have blank names.  Nothing serious though, I'll fix that soon.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 01:14:06 am by Mason11987 »

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 12, 2010, 04:54:33 am »

Thank you very much! testing now and I will let you know how it works

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 12, 2010, 04:56:25 am »

Excellent when I pop back upstairs later today I'll check that out.  thank you

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 12, 2010, 05:07:40 am »

Alright....well...it works better and I like the improvements...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
except for that

Keep up the good work!

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 12, 2010, 10:31:50 am »

Alright....well...it works better and I like the improvements...
except for that

Keep up the good work!

ha, alright.  Is that how you originally saw it, or was that after you filtered or something?

I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is anyways, I'll fix it today.

V 2.5.1

For people with large xml with particularly large number of historical figures (probably 60k or more), they had many historical figures without a name.  This is fixed here.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 11:21:50 am by Mason11987 »

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World Viewer - Supports Mods + Graphical Map! (8/12)
« Reply #236 on: August 12, 2010, 11:25:28 am »

I didn't touch the filters. I could select names on the left (as you can see the one selected is about 6 or 7 names down or something) but the names did not display....in the descriptions only year and location were shown so hopefully it is related to the update you just posted...let me test it for ya

*EDIT*

Ok awesome...now the names show up just fine it seems...my only question is where are the "sort by" options for HF? were they never there? I don't remember but I know you can sort every other section by things like length/age/pop etc.

I am genning with a  487 MB XML file (as opposed to my usual 7 or 800 + MB ones =P)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 11:33:29 am by dennislp3 »

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 12, 2010, 11:40:08 am »

I didn't touch the filters. I could select names on the left (as you can see the one selected is about 6 or 7 names down or something) but the names did not display....in the descriptions only year and location were shown so hopefully it is related to the update you just posted...let me test it for ya

*EDIT*

Ok awesome...now the names show up just fine it seems...my only question is where are the "sort by" options for HF? were they never there? I don't remember but I know you can sort every other section by things like length/age/pop etc.

I am genning with a  487 MB XML file (as opposed to my usual 7 or 800 + MB ones =P)

Yeah, the list can fit at max 30k things.  Turns out my method for sorting items (selection) is terrible at sorting 30k items :).  Really, it's painfully slow.

If you put filters in that drop the number far enough (5k) the options will show up.  Before I put in options that let you do ridiculously long sorts, I have to improve how sorting is done.  Problem is I can't seem to figure out a good way to implement quicksort or mergesort yet.  But it's been on the list.

Does the 700MB one work?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 11:57:25 am by Mason11987 »

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 12, 2010, 01:32:45 pm »

I haven't tried with a 700+ MB world yet cause I have been busy but I will try and get one tested in the next hour or two

Thoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 17, 2010, 12:07:01 pm »

Seems to parse fine up until it gets to my game start year, then a raft of those, is Genesis 3.03, 775mb xml, no idea what else might be useful to you, hope thats at least slightly helpful. Otherwise marvellous proggie, i may ofc have done something dumb, it's not beyond me, but afaik i chose the files in the right order, and is fine right up until it gets to the year i started.
"Do not offend the chair leg of Truth. It is wise and terrible" - (Urist) Spider Jerusalem
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18