Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18

Author Topic: World Viewer - Supports Mods + Graphical Map! (8/12)  (Read 66510 times)

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
Re: World Viewer - Supports Mods + Graphical Map! (8/12)
« Reply #240 on: August 18, 2010, 01:50:20 pm »

Cool tool it is. By any chance could you release a version that looks good on 1920x1080 monitors? That 5 px font is a little hard to read.

Oh, those no-name culled figures? You can turn off the culling of unimportant people, in the worldgen.
[CULL_HISTORICAL_FIGURES:0]
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 02:01:16 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 23, 2010, 07:54:01 am »

Something that's probably not going to be easy to be tracked, but occasionally, gods have the same name, but are of different civilizations and have different portfolios. For example, I have three dwarven deities named Doren:

Doren, deity: metals, jewels; in The Curled Dikes
  Doren, deity: mountains; in the Wall of Funerals
  Doren, deity: minerals; in The Glad Lanterns

And the program uses the last one only for all three. As far as I see, the distinction can't be made by originating civilization, since one force can be worshiped by several civilizations, and it can't be made by name plus portfolio, since they might still share the same portfolio after all.

Do you want the files in question?
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 12, 2010, 12:59:13 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Seems to parse fine up until it gets to my game start year, then a raft of those, is Genesis 3.03, 775mb xml, no idea what else might be useful to you, hope thats at least slightly helpful. Otherwise marvellous proggie, i may ofc have done something dumb, it's not beyond me, but afaik i chose the files in the right order, and is fine right up until it gets to the year i started.

Don't know if this is still being developed or what, but I encounter the same problem when trying to use the XML to go past my game start year. In addition to the above message I also get
I also seemed to get an Unknown error for almost every masterpiece item my site ever made. Clicked through it maybe three or four hundred times.

ouroborus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 12, 2010, 03:07:30 am »

Seems to me that a search feature could be added for finding potential embark sites. I've always thought that the in-game search feature could be at least faster and cover more variables. (Although I guess some things would not be search-able this way as they don't show up in the exportable data; e.g.: volcanoes.)

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 15, 2010, 11:30:26 pm »

Hey all, just wanted to let everyone know that I'll be working on getting you a lot more details that came from the .31.13 update.  This will be my project tomorrow/this weekend.  I'll also work on some bugfixing and addressing some questions that built up since I last focused on DF.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 16, 2010, 11:58:52 am »

Just noticed that Toady fixed the XML, it now has a header and footer like XML should!  I'm going through and looking for some actual changes.

Also, there is now a lot of stuff in the historical_event_collections and sections (thought all empty so far) in the entity_populations sections.  This should be really cool to work on, an example of something neat in the XML now that wasn't before:

And a few responses:

Seems to parse fine up until it gets to my game start year, then a raft of those, is Genesis 3.03, 775mb xml, no idea what else might be useful to you, hope thats at least slightly helpful. Otherwise marvellous proggie, i may ofc have done something dumb, it's not beyond me, but afaik i chose the files in the right order, and is fine right up until it gets to the year i started.

Interesting, I hadn't seen that event.  Could you maybe explore legends mode and give me a screenshot if you can see what this event actually means?  Normally I would do that myself but your save looks like it might be too large to transfer.  What if you set the end year to later?

Cool tool it is. By any chance could you release a version that looks good on 1920x1080 monitors? That 5 px font is a little hard to read.

Oh, those no-name culled figures? You can turn off the culling of unimportant people, in the worldgen.
[CULL_HISTORICAL_FIGURES:0]

I'll give it a shot, but it's lower in the list :)

Something that's probably not going to be easy to be tracked, but occasionally, gods have the same name, but are of different civilizations and have different portfolios. For example, I have three dwarven deities named Doren:

Doren, deity: metals, jewels; in The Curled Dikes
  Doren, deity: mountains; in the Wall of Funerals
  Doren, deity: minerals; in The Glad Lanterns

And the program uses the last one only for all three. As far as I see, the distinction can't be made by originating civilization, since one force can be worshiped by several civilizations, and it can't be made by name plus portfolio, since they might still share the same portfolio after all.

Do you want the files in question?

Interesting!  I didn't know this was possible.  I think I'll try to identify deities/forces by their name + details + civ, I seriously doubt there could be two DIFFERENT deities of the same areas with the same name worshipped by the same civ.  Thanks for pointing this out.

Don't know if this is still being developed or what, but I encounter the same problem when trying to use the XML to go past my game start year. In addition to the above message I also get
I also seemed to get an Unknown error for almost every masterpiece item my site ever made. Clicked through it maybe three or four hundred times.

I've never seen that event either.  If you could send me your save that might be helpful.  Thanks!

Seems to me that a search feature could be added for finding potential embark sites. I've always thought that the in-game search feature could be at least faster and cover more variables. (Although I guess some things would not be search-able this way as they don't show up in the exportable data; e.g.: volcanoes.)

The problem is that I can't really get a lot out of the map.  Because it shows by blocks, which in-game are 16x16 areas, I can't tell you anything about a 4x4 area through this.  In fact almost nothing in the finder I could help with, besides being near caves, or other civs.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 16, 2010, 01:13:38 pm »

Interesting, I hadn't seen that event.  Could you maybe explore legends mode and give me a screenshot if you can see what this event actually means?  Normally I would do that myself but your save looks like it might be too large to transfer.  What if you set the end year to later?
That does seem like it should be the arrival of a merchant caravan at a player fortress. I've seen those engraved before, so it makes sense that it would be an exportable event to.

Interesting!  I didn't know this was possible.  I think I'll try to identify deities/forces by their name + details + civ, I seriously doubt there could be two DIFFERENT deities of the same areas with the same name worshipped by the same civ.  Thanks for pointing this out.
Well, as I said, the same force can be worshiped by different civs if they start in the same area that the force permeates, so it should only be necessary for deities.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 16, 2010, 01:34:29 pm »

That does seem like it should be the arrival of a merchant caravan at a player fortress. I've seen those engraved before, so it makes sense that it would be an exportable event to.

Well, as I said, the same force can be worshiped by different civs if they start in the same area that the force permeates, so it should only be necessary for deities.

Agreed, I just hadn't seen it, and when I asked Toady to list all the possible events he didn't list that one (or I missed it).

It's possible I never tried to do this with a world that I've played for a while, so that could definitely be it too.

I treat forces almost the same as deities, so I'll put them in both.  Also, I think two civs have worshiped the same deity for me.

I set up a thread in modding so people can work together to figure out the historical event collections (new addition to the XML!), for anyone interested here is the link

theqmann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 20, 2010, 10:39:34 pm »

Any update yet on WorldViewer for .13? I realize now that I don't have it how much I've come to rely on it for worldgen results :P

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 06, 2010, 02:20:12 am »

This doesn't work anymore right? Because I get a "overflow" error with one of my worlds, but I might just be unlucky? I don't know.

helf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 06, 2010, 11:26:45 am »

it's either the fact I'm using 31.16 or that the xml file is over 700mb, but worldviewer crashes while trying to parse it :p I can uplaod the files if you want.
YOUR GAMES GLITCH: Hey, I got out of the map boundry!
OUR GAMES GLITCH: Hey, a horrid monstrosity just migrated to my fortress! Let's recruit it!

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #251 on: October 09, 2010, 02:34:37 pm »

I can't even get this to work with the example files included.  It hangs when it goes to parse a file.  It isn't clear which file I am supposed to choose out of the two text files which are offered, but both give the same result.  Also, this happens both with and without a check in the map+XML check box.  The symptoms are slightly different under different OS.

Win 7 Pro on quad-core computer: Program vanishes from application list.  It has to be killed from the process screen.

WinXP Pro SP2 Virtual Machine on quad-core computer: Program hangs and the process associated with the application is shown as using 99% of the CPU.  It can be killed from the application list.

WinXP Pro SP3 on single-core computer:  Program hangs and the process associated with the application is shown as using about 14% of the CPU.  It can be killed from the application list.

In all instances it is being run with administrator rights.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 18, 2010, 08:26:07 am »

I keep getting the "Overflow" error when I try to use it.

I thought it might be because of the fact that I'm using .16 so I checked it in .14 and .13 but still the same thing happens. In the end I get a parserlog with only one name in it and the thing crashes. Happens both when I'm using XML and when I'm not.

Running Windows XP as an administrator. Any way to get around it? or is it just not going to work for me? :P
I once flung a migrant off a bridge. He collided with the brook cliff and died.
A year later, my legendary engraver engraved him colliding with an obstacle and dying.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 18, 2010, 07:59:07 pm »

From what I probably-mistakenly gathered, it works on .12 and was never updated to .13.  So perhaps that is possible or perhaps I am wrong.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 20, 2010, 07:27:53 pm »

From what I probably-mistakenly gathered, it works on .12 and was never updated to .13.  So perhaps that is possible or perhaps I am wrong.

Thats exactly the case
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18