Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18

Author Topic: World Viewer - Supports Mods + Graphical Map! (8/12)  (Read 66534 times)

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
Re: World Viewer - Supports Mods + Graphical Map!
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2010, 05:56:07 pm »

Woah, a map?  Sweet.  I need to check back on this thread more.  The original utility was cool, but the map will actually come in very handy.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2010, 09:28:17 pm »

Woah, a map?  Sweet.  I need to check back on this thread more.  The original utility was cool, but the map will actually come in very handy.

Thanks!

V1.9

Something else I was planning is a way of automatically collecting data to show information about dynasties.  It takes some work to get the information but form the worldhistory file you can find out who is the "father" or "mother" that are being referred to when it says a person inherited a post from them.  I got all this information compiled for you:

Picture:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This I've already implemented in 1.9

Next thing I'm going to do is create an additional tab which will list all of the various dynastic lines, with cool depictions of how rule had been passed down over time.  It's not perfect yet I'm sure, but I haven't found any bugs with who inheritied rule from who, but let me know if it makes any mistakes.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2010, 12:26:58 am »

You should modify the text input so that accented characters show up correctly (or use the Terminal font).
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2010, 05:34:29 am »

You should modify the text input so that accented characters show up correctly (or use the Terminal font).

Well that's cool.  I didn't realize using the Terminal font would show all the text correctly.  I'll make

V1.9.1

All the characters print correctly!  Thanks Sizik!

Upcoming
Working on "dynasties", which are coming together much better then I expected!

Teaser Image:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 07:42:09 am by Mason11987 »

pickupsticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2010, 08:19:25 am »

This is great!

(problem with the .zip on the most recent version, I had to use winrar to repair it before I could unpack it)

EDIT: I wonder if there's a way to get hold of the locations of the regions as well as the site names... my home-made maps of worlds that I was adventuring in always ended up with at least the mountain ranges and peaks listed, as well as things like rivers, oceans and deserts.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 09:05:19 am by pickupsticks »

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2010, 09:06:31 am »

Ok, still trying to use that same large file. This time I get, 'Run-Time Error '480': Can't create auto-redraw image'. Maybe the map is too big.

Also, it would probably help most people to use the windows zip function. Otherwise windows people will need to have a third party extractor.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2010, 11:10:29 am »

Ok, still trying to use that same large file. This time I get, 'Run-Time Error '480': Can't create auto-redraw image'. Maybe the map is too big.

Also, it would probably help most people to use the windows zip function. Otherwise windows people will need to have a third party extractor.

Ah, thanks cephalo, my map was big, I guess yours was bigger and we've hit some limit I've never seen before.  That's something I can test though, I'll just edit my image to be huge and see if I can't recreate it.  Thanks!

I meant to use windows zip, I'm not sure why it zipped weird.  This was the first one I didn't zip, then unzip and test, so I guess I'm paying the price for slacking on testing.

This is great!

(problem with the .zip on the most recent version, I had to use winrar to repair it before I could unpack it)

EDIT: I wonder if there's a way to get hold of the locations of the regions as well as the site names... my home-made maps of worlds that I was adventuring in always ended up with at least the mountain ranges and peaks listed, as well as things like rivers, oceans and deserts.

The names of the regions are there, and I could most likely pull them out of the XML, the problem is that I don't see any way that I can link locations to the map, to sites, to civs, or to people.  The best I could do is just provide a listing of the region names with no other connection, which isn't that interesting I think.

If someone can fire up their xml viewers and show me the connection I'm missing I would love to add that, but so far I can't find anything.

Thanks for your testing and help everyone.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2010, 11:36:01 am »

That XML file is a beast. I used a large file text editor to look at it, seeing if I could figure it out. There are so many historical events that you cannot just open the file and learn by browsing. You might have a thousand of this event or that event in a row, way more than you would want to just read.

In order to crack this file, I think you have to write a program to pick out clues. Something that will pick out all the tags from historical events, and also all of the data in those tags that is not numerical and not names ( I don't believe there are names in historical events). Once you have a condensed list of possibilties, you might be able to recreate the legends associations *maybe*(The xml dump does say it is incomplete).

It would be great to be able to trace back a persons ancestry, not just royalty.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2010, 12:06:43 pm »

That XML file is a beast. I used a large file text editor to look at it, seeing if I could figure it out. There are so many historical events that you cannot just open the file and learn by browsing. You might have a thousand of this event or that event in a row, way more than you would want to just read.

In order to crack this file, I think you have to write a program to pick out clues. Something that will pick out all the tags from historical events, and also all of the data in those tags that is not numerical and not names ( I don't believe there are names in historical events). Once you have a condensed list of possibilties, you might be able to recreate the legends associations *maybe*(The xml dump does say it is incomplete).

It would be great to be able to trace back a persons ancestry, not just royalty.

Yeah, the events are interesting but the sheer volume of text, and the difficulty in actually getting meaning from the information between two "historical_events" tags means that if it is attempted, it'll be far down on the list.

But what you're describing is exactly how my program works now with the sites portion of the XML.  It pulls out the id/name/type/coordinates, then matches it to a site from the world history (matching id and name, just as a safety) and then adds the coordinates onto thate already created site.  That way I can show where civs are on the map, even though that information doesn't actually exist directly in either file.

The same sort of thing is done in the worldhistory file, but it's more complicated.  For getting who someone's parent is, for example:
I assign each person an array of all of their children's ages at their death.
I then go through every person, and if they inherited the throne from their father or mother (I don't deal with the paternal/maternal grandmother/father situation which DOES happen), then I find if there is a person who has a child born at the right time to be this person, and if they are from the same civ + race then I assume that the child is theirs.

Example:
John - died 200, children ages at death: 20, 30, 40 - CivA
Bob - inherited from father, born 180. - CivA
Since Bob was born in 180 and inherited from his father, he could (and almost certainly does) match the 20yo who survived John in 200.

This doesn't take into account the fact that Bob could be born in 180 and if John died in 200 Bob could technically be 19, but it appears the game doesn't take that into account either, so it doesn't matter.

In terms of ancestry that isn't royalty, I'll have to attempt to gen a world where "cull unimportant figures" is "off" and see what happens.  So far I've actually never attempted that, but if it's in the files (worldhistory?) I'll do it eventually.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 12:09:12 pm by Mason11987 »

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2010, 05:10:58 pm »

I can't seem to extract the latest version. I keep getting the message "The Archive is corrupt" from WinRAR when I try to extract the files, and the message "Unexpected end of archive" when opening it.
Currently Building: Purplesaber (pit mine/anthill/80 z-level wound in the earth)

Former Projects: Roughnesschants(multi-level aboveground city)

Best summary of Dwarf Fortress:
I'm fairly certain every path in the game leads to some sort of massive execution.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2010, 05:49:56 pm »

Sorry guys, just got home.

V 1.9.2

Fixed the zip also the beginnings of the dynasty feature.*

* - The included world didn't last long enough for any dynasties to form, so in the default set that'll be empty.  In the future I'll hide the tab if there's nothing to go there.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 05:54:58 pm by Mason11987 »

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2010, 06:03:33 pm »

If you want a small xml - just generate a pocket world over the course of say 20 years. Maybe you should also change the raws to lower the populations.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2010, 06:29:54 pm »

If you want a small xml - just generate a pocket world over the course of say 20 years. Maybe you should also change the raws to lower the populations.

I have a small xml, that's how I got it, but 20 years meant no leader died and had an heir.

When I finish everything I want to do with the dynasties I'll gen a world that is small but shows everything the worldviewer can do.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2010, 07:06:14 pm »

This is cool. I don't have a world I'm particularly interested in at the moment though.
It could maybe use a better/sleeker explanation on how to get world information and use it.
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

Star Weaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2010, 07:21:02 pm »

Hm, you could mod a race to become adult in 6 months and die after 4-7 years and see if that helps you test things with less data? :)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18