Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

Author Topic: World Viewer - Supports Mods + Graphical Map! (8/12)  (Read 66015 times)

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
World Viewer - Supports Mods + Graphical Map! (8/12)
« on: July 06, 2010, 09:49:26 pm »

This tool has been replaced by World Viewer 2.0.

Spoiler: Original Post (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 10:47:31 am by Mason11987 »

cameron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World Viewer
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 09:56:16 pm »

now if only there was a link to it

--edit found it
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2637

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 10:00:05 pm »

now if only there was a link to it

--edit found it
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2637

I just copied from dffd, hilarious... Thanks.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 11:15:37 pm »

Now THIS is an interesting program.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 11:17:47 pm »

This is great! Thumbs up from me!
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 11:21:25 pm »

Think it might be possible to make a version that parses text data straight from DF's Legend's mode, so we can get a detailed Legends Mode mockup that can be reviewed out of the program?  Or something like that, I'm no coder.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 11:23:49 pm »

Now THIS is an interesting program.

This is great! Thumbs up from me!

Thanks!

I made some improvements: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2637

Think it might be possible to make a version that parses text data straight from DF's Legend's mode, so we can get a detailed Legends Mode mockup that can be reviewed out of the program?  Or something like that, I'm no coder.

Perhaps in the future.  I can't find an easy way to dump the rest of the info that's in legends mode outside those two files, but I'll take a look once I get the ability to view this stuff how I like.

MagicGuigz

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 11:32:29 pm »

Very well done, thank you :)

Phenixmirage

• Bay Watcher
  • Weak vs. Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 11:45:23 pm »

The program worked great with the included world info files, but when I tried to use my own world files I get a "Run-time error '5': Invalid procedure call or argument" pop-up, and then it closes.  :(  I liked what I saw with the default files though. :)

A few suggestions:

Make the Civ list sortable by race and the Deity and Site lists sortable by Civ (and possibly race).

In the Deity list, it seems the elven deities descriptions just show up as "of", rather than "deity of (blah)". Also, would it be possible to list the civ the deity is attached to (similar to what's been done for the Sites) as well as gender?

Judging by a quick glance through the included world files, it looks like the program doesn't show accented letters. I don't know if this is by design or not, but I'd appreciate support for them.

Add an option to export info for one or more civs to a text file (all sites, rulers, deities, etc).

Rather than requiring the world info files to reside in the same folder as the program and have specific file names, allow the user to select the files that they'd like to load.

Keep up the good work, this program looks promising. :)

Edit:  It looks like a new version came out while I was typing. Some of these suggestions may be redundant. ^^;

« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 11:47:00 pm by Phenixmirage »

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 11:54:50 pm »

The program worked great with the included world info files, but when I tried to use my own world files I get a "Run-time error '5': Invalid procedure call or argument" pop-up, and then it closes.  :(  I liked what I saw with the default files though. :)
Could you upload them to me?  I find http://www.senduit.com/ to be useful, do day+ please.

A few suggestions:

Make the Civ list sortable by race and the Deity and Site lists sortable by Civ (and possibly race).
All sorts of sorts are on the horizon :)

In the Deity list, it seems the elven deities descriptions just show up as "of", rather than "deity of (blah)". Also, would it be possible to list the civ the deity is attached to (similar to what's been done for the Sites) as well as gender?
I see "force of", for some reason in the world gen, elven civs worship "forces" not "deities", do you not see "force of"?  Civ on deity is on the list, I don't see the gender in those files though, am I missing it?

Judging by a quick glance through the included world files, it looks like the program doesn't show accented letters. I don't know if this is by design or not, but I'd appreciate support for them.
Yeah, that's a flaw with the language I'm using (VB6) and the controls it uses.  There are ways around it, eventually I'll pursue one of them.

Add an option to export info for one or more civs to a text file (all sites, rulers, deities, etc).
Neat idea! I might do this.

Rather than requiring the world info files to reside in the same folder as the program and have specific file names, allow the user to select the files that they'd like to load.
Of course, this was simple to start with.

Keep up the good work, this program looks promising. :)
Thanks!

Edit:  It looks like a new version came out while I was typing. Some of these suggestions may be redundant. ^^;

As you probably know, I like to make things with minimal functionality and throw it out there so I know whether it's worth bothering expanding it to something more useful based off of response, it looks like people might find this useful with more work.  Thanks!

Phenixmirage

• Bay Watcher
  • Weak vs. Water
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 12:26:14 am »

Could you upload them to me?  I find http://www.senduit.com/ to be useful, do day+ please.
Here you go: http://senduit.com/ec1631 (I set it for 2 days.)

I see "force of", for some reason in the world gen, elven civs worship "forces" not "deities", do you not see "force of"?  Civ on deity is on the list, I don't see the gender in those files though, am I missing it?
I tried the 1.1 version, and the elven forces still show up as just "of". (I'm on Windows XP 64, if it makes a difference.) As for deity gender, I thought I remembered deities showing up as "god" or "goddess" in the info files, but it looks like I got it mixed up with Legends mode. Sorry for the confusion. ^^;

Edit: Associated deities show up on the Civilizations tab just fine. Should I be seeing the Civ association under the Deities tab too?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 12:32:03 am by Phenixmirage »

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 06:02:59 am »

Here you go: http://senduit.com/ec1631 (I set it for 2 days.)

I tried the 1.1 version, and the elven forces still show up as just "of". (I'm on Windows XP 64, if it makes a difference.) As for deity gender, I thought I remembered deities showing up as "god" or "goddess" in the info files, but it looks like I got it mixed up with Legends mode. Sorry for the confusion. ^^;

Edit: Associated deities show up on the Civilizations tab just fine. Should I be seeing the Civ association under the Deities tab too?

I had genned a huge, 1000 year world in the hopes of getting all possible scenarios in my 100 civs.  Turns out lines can be "inherited", but not "inherited FROM" somewhere, which seems bizarre, but is now an acceptable scenario.

It now works with your files, if you want to test more and send me any sets that don't work, that'd be great.

I still can't see the deity just "of" situation, how bout a screenshot?  Thanks Edit: nvm, I was able to recreate it
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 06:35:59 am by Mason11987 »

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 06:03:52 am »

Fixed: Problem with "of" deities (now referred to as "living creatures", and otherwise listed with other deities).
Added: List of civs for deities (turns out there can be several!)

Subtle changes.  Double-clicking blue text, the sub lists in the "civilizations" tab, or the civ list in the deity tag will bring you more information about the item you're selecting.  This isn't really intuitive enough as I'd like, but it's useful and later will become more obvious.

For example, go to civs tab, pick a civ with people, select a person who's worshipped, click the blue name of the object of worship.

You're brought to that item on the deities tab, double-click a civ, and you're brought to that item on the civ list.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 07:19:20 am by Mason11987 »

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 07:56:21 am »

Use:
You can check out the program as it by using my included world (a 1025 year world: Adreramul - The Past Plane), or by replacing the worldhistory.txt or the worldsites.txt file with your own world files.
When the program opens click "Parse New World", you can click "Remove Dead Civs" to remove all civs that don't have any existing sites.

I am surprised that you didnt use the XML export. Iirc it has all info in one file including beast (mega forgotten titan) and some other stuff.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 08:08:34 am »

Use:
You can check out the program as it by using my included world (a 1025 year world: Adreramul - The Past Plane), or by replacing the worldhistory.txt or the worldsites.txt file with your own world files.
When the program opens click "Parse New World", you can click "Remove Dead Civs" to remove all civs that don't have any existing sites.

I am surprised that you didnt use the XML export. Iirc it has all info in one file including beast (mega forgotten titan) and some other stuff.

It says "incomplete" and whenever I tried to use it (on a 1000+yo world) it didn't work.  Due to the "incomplete" note, I assumed this wasn't completely user error.  I'll try to work with it some more though and use it to supplement this info.

Also, I uploaded a new version so you can view important people in a full list.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18