Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18

Author Topic: World Viewer - Supports Mods + Graphical Map! (8/12)  (Read 67015 times)

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World Viewer - Supports Mods + Graphical Map! (8/2)
« Reply #180 on: August 06, 2010, 03:59:30 pm »

Yup, any historical figure above 32767 (2^15-1, this is the largest that can be stored as an integer).  That limit should now be fixed.
I advise to change every* int to long, just in case. With DF, no overflow is sufficiently far. ;)

*Ok, not every, but still.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 06, 2010, 04:41:41 pm »

I just downloaded world viewer from the link on the first page of this thread, exported everything from my world, and ran it.
I get the error "Run Time Error '5': Invalid Procedure Call or Argument" when the parsing reaches 22%.
My XML is a puny 105MB. Do you have any ideas?
That means it didn't even get to the XML, could you post your world sites/world history?  You can even just drop it inside spoiler tags right here if you like, they shouldn't be very long.

Thanks!
I tried, but got a message board error:
Quote from: SMF
The following error or errors occurred while posting this message:
The message exceeds the maximum allowed length (40000 characters).
The Sites file is 80KB, and the history file is 99KB.
I would be happy to send them to you; would you PM me your email address?

v 2.2.4
Fixed your problem.  It was some strange problem where a civ didn't have a leader.

Could you check the legends for your save for confederacy of tapering (under entities) and let me know what the hell happened to them that they didn't have any leaders.  Crazy :).  I had assumed that was a requirement.

Yup, any historical figure above 32767 (2^15-1, this is the largest that can be stored as an integer).  That limit should now be fixed.
I advise to change every* int to long, just in case. With DF, no overflow is sufficiently far. ;)

*Ok, not every, but still.

I have some memory problems already, but I did change everything I even considered possible to be a >30k.  Plenty of things can be ints though, like civ counts, number of leaders of a civ, end year, etc.

But there are a few that I put as long just in the "craziest possible circumstance", like number of Historical figures killed.  IN case a megabeast goes on a rampage for 10000 years and kills 40k different people. lol
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 05:27:37 pm by Mason11987 »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 07, 2010, 03:45:38 am »

v 2.2.4
Fixed your problem.  It was some strange problem where a civ didn't have a leader.

Could you check the legends for your save for confederacy of tapering (under entities) and let me know what the hell happened to them that they didn't have any leaders.  Crazy :).  I had assumed that was a requirement.
I believe that humans and goblins do not necessarily create their leadership positions right away, so might might take up to year 5 or so for them to appear. If the civ is destroyed by a sudden case of megabeast before that, this might happen.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World Viewer - Supports Mods + Graphical Map! (8/5)
« Reply #183 on: August 08, 2010, 12:25:12 am »

V 2.4.0

Fairly extensive re-write of my XML parsing, highlights:
  • It works! I was able to parse, complete with events, a 387 MB xml file.
  • It uses less memory during operation
  • After parsing is done most of the memory is cleared
  • Negative:Unfortunately, since I'm not taking all the events into memory at once I can't give a % done for events, some large files may have 1.5million or more, so be patient.  It's slower then legends mode but I think it's worth it.

Every world with xml that was sent to me works as well, which is the best I can do for testing right now.

I'm sending out a few PMs to those who showed interest but had world's too large.  If you wouldn't mind testing against it, that'd be great :).

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World Viewer - Supports Mods + Graphical Map! (8/5)
« Reply #184 on: August 08, 2010, 04:15:56 am »

V 2.4.0

• Negative:Unfortunately, since I'm not taking all the events into memory at once I can't give a % done for events, some large files may have 1.5million or more, so be patient.  It's slower then legends mode but I think it's worth it.

Every world with xml that was sent to me works as well, which is the best I can do for testing right now.

I'm sending out a few PMs to those who showed interest but had world's too large.  If you wouldn't mind testing against it, that'd be great :).

Awesome update I was able to parse a 784 MB XML file

Failed with a 1.02 GB XML file but...cant expect everything...nor do I expect GB XML files lol....I got carried away there >.>

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
Re: World Viewer - Supports Mods + Graphical Map! (8/8)
« Reply #185 on: August 08, 2010, 06:35:24 am »

Run time error '6': overflow :(

Happened around 59% xml parsing. Total file size is 263mb.
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 08, 2010, 07:12:48 am »

Could you send me all 4 files, I PM'd you my e-mail address.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 08, 2010, 11:23:29 am »

V 2.4.0

Awesome update I was able to parse a 784 MB XML file

Failed with a 1.02 GB XML file but...cant expect everything...nor do I expect GB XML files lol....I got carried away there >.>

Fantastic.  Hadn't tried one as large as 784 MB, glad it worked.  There are a few things you'll notice that won't work.  For example listboxes can only hold 32k items, so it won't list every hist fig you have, I'm not sure of a good way around this right now, but we'll see.  Also, it's possible you'll find a leader that has "...More" at the bottom but the "link" doesn't work, that's because that person wasn't in the histfig listbox.

I'll let you know when I make more memory improvements, I still have a lot of options.  How did you manage a file that big? thousands of years, no cull important figures, and huge world?

V 2.4.1

I fixed this problem, apparently you have a 50 civ world, and just a single one of those civs had 93 sites (out of 600 total). I've never seen a civ with that many sites.  Since it was humans they built a HUGE amount of roads, so much so that the road counter was over 32k (there are multiple roads that make up a connection between two sites on the map).  That was one of those things I didn't even imagine could be so large, but it makes sense now.  As I get larger and larger worlds I'll uncover huge world problems :).

Also, now I show the Year of the last checked event, so when you're running through 10k years of events, you can get an idea of how long it'll take.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 11:32:42 am by Mason11987 »

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 08, 2010, 11:56:16 am »

Since it was humans they built a HUGE amount of roads, so much so that the road counter was over 32k (there are multiple roads that make up a connection between two sites on the map).  That was one of those things I didn't even imagine could be so large
See? I told you! :P

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 08, 2010, 01:53:35 pm »

A quick idea: Just make the listbox so that it shows a part of an array and shift the displayed part if the player scrolls up/down.

edit: And considering the latest updates of the devlogs you should expect a fairly huge number of towns, villages, coatages, farms, bridges etc. being in the next version of df.

If this happens with all human civs you need robust dropdowns and sufficiently huge variables. Especially since i normaly play on large worlds with the ighest possible number of civs.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 01:59:28 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 08, 2010, 02:16:05 pm »

Since it was humans they built a HUGE amount of roads, so much so that the road counter was over 32k (there are multiple roads that make up a connection between two sites on the map).  That was one of those things I didn't even imagine could be so large
See? I told you! :P

I listened, just not QUITE enough :P

A quick idea: Just make the listbox so that it shows a part of an array and shift the displayed part if the player scrolls up/down.

edit: And considering the latest updates of the devlogs you should expect a fairly huge number of towns, villages, coatages, farms, bridges etc. being in the next version of df.

If this happens with all human civs you need robust dropdowns and sufficiently huge variables. Especially since i normaly play on large worlds with the ighest possible number of civs.

That's crossed my mind.  I'll have to think about how to actually do that using the controls that exist (I'd prefer to not have to package anything but an .exe), but thanks.

For all the stuff in the update, I'll have to see how in-depth the xml gets.  I'm not going to bother setting something up until I can parse it correctly.

As long as all that stuff is just added to entitypopulations the program will just ignore it until I put out a new version.

having 100+ locations (farms/etc.) for each civ won't really make or break anything, that's like 10k or so max probably, instead of the ~1k or so max number of sites.  I'm more concerned with their being many more events, or historical figures, neither of which will probably go up by 100x, so we're okay.

I am looking forward to this update though :).

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 08, 2010, 02:54:07 pm »

Inheritance should be possible in VB6 right? If VB6 is anything like MFC in C++ (Microsoft foundation classes) you could just overwrite the classes "Dropdown-field" original function with your own.  ... damn i just thought of a easyer way ... just make a class that inherits from the dropdownfield class everything and change the internal array of this thing to one that supports "Long"number of objects / allocates the needed Memory dynamicly.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 08, 2010, 03:21:15 pm »

Well done mason! Everything loaded up and works with out any issues. On a side note, judging by everyone's posted files sizes, I think you should change the "loading >10mb file please wait" message. I don't think I've seen anyone with less than 100mb file.
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 08, 2010, 05:14:55 pm »

And maybe a bar that shows what at the current moment is parsed to indicate that the program didnt crash.

Proud to be a Furry.

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 08, 2010, 08:25:34 pm »

And maybe a bar that shows what at the current moment is parsed to indicate that the program didnt crash.

Or, if it's difficult working out the number things requring parsing, something that flicks backwards and forwards during the loading. Or a box that swaps from white to black with each thing parsed.

Or something.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18