Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18

Author Topic: World Viewer - Supports Mods + Graphical Map! (8/12)  (Read 67013 times)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World Viewer - Supports Mods + Graphical Map! (8/8)
« Reply #195 on: August 08, 2010, 08:36:13 pm »

Fantastic.  Hadn't tried one as large as 784 MB, glad it worked.  There are a few things you'll notice that won't work.  For example listboxes can only hold 32k items, so it won't list every hist fig you have, I'm not sure of a good way around this right now, but we'll see.  Also, it's possible you'll find a leader that has "...More" at the bottom but the "link" doesn't work, that's because that person wasn't in the histfig listbox.

I'll let you know when I make more memory improvements, I still have a lot of options.  How did you manage a file that big? thousands of years, no cull important figures, and huge world?

Actually I did it with a medium world....at only 2000 years old.

to get such large files I actually used Deons genesis mod....I believe since some of the added races are extremely aggressive they spit out lots of info (kills by HF and whatnot as well as constant conquests and stuff)

Hard to say really but I found Deons mod adds to the XML in an extreme way...if you want to test larger files WITHOUT having to tweak to much or gen for excessive amounts of time I would try some worlds with it

as for what I tweaked....bumped up the titans from 9 to 15 or so...and the civs from 20 to 30 I believe

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 08, 2010, 09:02:59 pm »

And maybe a bar that shows what at the current moment is parsed to indicate that the program didnt crash.

It doesn't show it's progress up top for you?
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

tenach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Personal Blog
« Reply #197 on: August 09, 2010, 03:45:52 am »

Thanks for such a great program! :D  It's quite awesome to see all this information for world gens. :3

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 09, 2010, 04:36:26 am »

ok managed a vanilla game with a XML of .97 GB....it failed...I am guessing that around the 800 MB mark is the limit for now

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 09, 2010, 06:01:25 am »

Well done mason! Everything loaded up and works with out any issues. On a side note, judging by everyone's posted files sizes, I think you should change the "loading >10mb file please wait" message. I don't think I've seen anyone with less than 100mb file.

I removed it outright, along with every other popup.  Either it will work, or it'll crash once you put in the files (also removed the "last year" for xml parsing, because I'm going to grab it from the year of the last event.

And maybe a bar that shows what at the current moment is parsed to indicate that the program didnt crash.

It's at the top for most of the time periods that take much time.

Bar at the top does it, but I can expand on it with more details for slower computers/bigger worlds.  But at almost every part you should be able to click on the civ/site/leader tabs and look around, if that works, it didn't crash.  Also if you see the titlebar being updated, it didn't crash.

Or, if it's difficult working out the number things requring parsing, something that flicks backwards and forwards during the loading. Or a box that swaps from white to black with each thing parsed.

Or something.

At a couple points it might show "Not responding" but if it does give it a minute before trying to close.

Actually I did it with a medium world....at only 2000 years old.

to get such large files I actually used Deons genesis mod....I believe since some of the added races are extremely aggressive they spit out lots of info (kills by HF and whatnot as well as constant conquests and stuff)

Hard to say really but I found Deons mod adds to the XML in an extreme way...if you want to test larger files WITHOUT having to tweak to much or gen for excessive amounts of time I would try some worlds with it

as for what I tweaked....bumped up the titans from 9 to 15 or so...and the civs from 20 to 30 I believe

I'll get an immense XML file when I go to work today, to see what happens.  Thanks.

Thanks for such a great program! :D  It's quite awesome to see all this information for world gens. :3

Awesome, feel free to vote on dffd for it if you like it :).   More is to come, including battles and similar interesting details if I can manage it. 

ok managed a vanilla game with a XML of .97 GB....it failed...I am guessing that around the 800 MB mark is the limit for now

It also might crash depending on your RAM, but yeah, that looks like it for now.  When I gen a huge world I"ll make it work for that too.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 09, 2010, 06:41:34 am »

I have 4 GB of ram with minimal things using it...but then again I am using Vista which does that super fetch BS that hogs half the RAM when its idle....maybe I should turn that off first.

Also....with an XML in the 700+ MB range it doesn't parse HFs....which is a major bummer...but civs and basic function is still intact

Here is the last world gen parameters that worked for me and produced a 700+ MB file (changes each time) but it seems to skirt the limit

it was in Vanilla and I modded the humans to be playable (simple copy of the traps, adamantine and steel, and nobles) and I also have the higher learning mod. These should not affect the results to much...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 06:43:31 am by dennislp3 »

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 09, 2010, 07:11:42 am »

Also....with an XML in the 700+ MB range it doesn't parse HFs....which is a major bummer...but civs and basic function is still intact

Interesting, I've yet to see it fail once it gets to hist figs, so that'll be good to see (since 2.4.1, when I moved events in front of histfigs).  I'm on about year 500 of a 3k year gen using genesis.  We'll see how it turns out.  Hopefully sometime this week I'll have a version out that can handle this huge of an xml (although it will DEFINITELY take a long time to parse.)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 07:14:24 am by Mason11987 »

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 09, 2010, 07:24:27 am »

Yeah when I parsed my world (about to test another) it just pops up with a message at the very end "did not parse HF"....no error code or message or anything....it just didn't do it.

any world with about 200,000 HFs and about 3 mil events comes out to be right around 700 - 800 MB....so use that as a gauge perhaps

FinalSin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 09, 2010, 07:46:29 am »

Is there any chance of getting the source for this? I would totally understand if the answer was no.

Alternatively, would it be possible to get some 'Export As...' functionality that could spit out a sqlite database, or something more manageable than the XML? I want to use the Legends data for a sideproject, but I dont' want to reinvent the wheel when it comes to parsing the Legends data raw.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 09, 2010, 07:58:53 am »

I like the idea of it being able to split up the XML....I know if the XML is to large it doesn't currently read the historical figures....if it could load the historical figures and everything else separate or something that would be great.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 08:30:46 am by dennislp3 »

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #205 on: August 09, 2010, 08:25:23 am »

I was just thinking this weekend that it would be nice if there was a way to export or save a world, so that you wouldn't have to parse the same data over and over again if you want to keep looking at the same world.  This assumes that VB has some sort of reasonable serialize function... ;)
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 09, 2010, 08:36:22 am »

I was just thinking this weekend that it would be nice if there was a way to export or save a world, so that you wouldn't have to parse the same data over and over again if you want to keep looking at the same world.  This assumes that VB has some sort of reasonable serialize function... ;)

I second this. It would be awsome to process these massive files once, and then delete them in favor of something more sane.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

FinalSin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 09, 2010, 08:47:50 am »

Also, exporting in a tasty format (like sqlite, not that I'm heavily hinting at anything) would allow other coders (again, not hinting, nope) to make use of the great work already done here, and write further utilities that use this simpler format. :)

Hint. (not hinting)

tenach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Personal Blog
« Reply #208 on: August 09, 2010, 02:09:13 pm »

<snip>
Awesome, feel free to vote on dffd for it if you like it :).   More is to come, including battles and similar interesting details if I can manage it. 

Ahead of you there! You've got a 5/5 from me :D

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 09, 2010, 05:19:58 pm »

Yeah when I parsed my world (about to test another) it just pops up with a message at the very end "did not parse HF"....no error code or message or anything....it just didn't do it.

any world with about 200,000 HFs and about 3 mil events comes out to be right around 700 - 800 MB....so use that as a gauge perhaps

Ah, I understand, I found where that problem comes from.  I'll fix this next update.

Is there any chance of getting the source for this? I would totally understand if the answer was no.

Alternatively, would it be possible to get some 'Export As...' functionality that could spit out a sqlite database, or something more manageable than the XML? I want to use the Legends data for a sideproject, but I dont' want to reinvent the wheel when it comes to parsing the Legends data raw.

I'm not quite sure now.  I like working on this myself right now, it's a fun diversion for me and if someone else took it over and went another route I could see it ruining the fun for me.  But if I stop working on it for whatever reason, I'll release it.

Exporting is near the top of my "to do" list.  I had planned to do a "export information about this civ" to text sort of thing, for people who mentioned using worlds for RP stuff.

One of the reasons I made this program was to do the connections that exist between stuff, things like getting the list of kills a HF had, or creating dynasties and (if I can convince Toady to add an XML event) family trees within leaders and historical figures.  I'm not sure how exactly I can do this, I guess having a series of tables with foreign keys referring to hist figs and such might be useful, but it seems like an immense amount of work for something not drastically different from the XML.

So for a database export I'll need some help specifically with database design, I've done this sort of thing before but having input beforehand might make me more willing to go through all the work.  This is all assuming it's possible

For text related (MUCH smaller than the XML) export I have a few ideas on how I could do it but feel free to offer any suggestions before I get started.

I'm thinking of doing small scale export (of civs, sites, leaders, dynasties, and battles) in a few different ways, but I hadn't initially considered a XML-replacement.  Would that be valuable even if I didn't have any of the additional logical connections from the program?

This is something I've been thinking about as well.  I think I'm being lead to create a .dfworld file.  Unless the entitypopulations update by Toady coming (soon?) is extremely complicated and interesting this will probably be my next project.

Also, exporting in a tasty format (like sqlite, not that I'm heavily hinting at anything) would allow other coders (again, not hinting, nope) to make use of the great work already done here, and write further utilities that use this simpler format. :)

Hint. (not hinting)

*Goes to read about sqlite again...*
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18