Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: spatter bug ?  (Read 2583 times)

forumist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
spatter bug ?
« on: October 29, 2010, 05:18:20 pm »

I've got a channel that conducts water to an obsidian factory. I did not control the water well, so there was too much water in the factory and in the lower part of the channel, after producing an obsidian batch. So I channeled a bit near the obsidian factory, so that the excess water flows away.
As soon as the water level in the channel got low enough, lthe dwarves started taking the channel. This channel must be a good shortcut to my magma smelters and forges.

Now, I have tons of dwarves and pets dead or bleeding to death in the lower part of the channel, where water is 2/7. I already noticed children and a few other dwarves with blistered feet, so I suspect some FB extract. I guess the water in the channel got somehow contaminated, and 2/7 is deep enough to soak the dwarves whith the deadly extract.

This is really a stupid bug.

My game was already spoiled by massive fill pond cancellation spam (another bug, which makes it difficult to detect other problems and understand what is happening in the fortress) and very low FPS (various animalsplosions, lots of HFS monsters in abandonned galleries, ...), but I was building an underground tower for a future king, and wanted to keep that fort until I have a king (never had one before). But now, these stupid deaths are quite demotivating... I don't even bother to close the channel to avoid more deaths.

This is not FUN, contrary to when I inadvertantly breached the adamantine vein and had to sacrifice lots of dwarves while walling the galleries, and then recover from the ensuing tantrum. Loosing because of mistakes is FUN, but not loosing because of stupid bugs.
Don't quote me on that.
Cacame channels aquifers into submission by staring at them. Cacame is so badass, kobolds give him their children to leave them alone. If Hidden Fun Stuff digs too far down, they hit Cacame. Cacame once took a Tantrum Spiral and impaled four enemies on it.

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: spatter bug ?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 06:11:42 pm »

Wait, what bug?

Now, I have tons of dwarves and pets dead or bleeding to death in the lower part of the channel, where water is 2/7. I already noticed children and a few other dwarves with blistered feet, so I suspect some FB extract. I guess the water in the channel got somehow contaminated, and 2/7 is deep enough to soak the dwarves whith the deadly extract.

You gave a paragraph describing the events, and then called something a bug.  Are you talking about not being able to see the extract?  Or the rate of spread of contaminants?  Or something else?

--Rexfelum

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 07:01:37 pm »

Just a thought.

Usually, Water + Magma = Obsidian

But, sounds like you have Magma + Water = Obsidian + (Some really spanking hot leftover) Water + corpses (since living things are walking through it)

Or, did I misunderstand?
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

forumist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 07:03:15 pm »

Wait, what bug?

You gave a paragraph describing the events, and then called something a bug.  Are you talking about not being able to see the extract?  Or the rate of spread of contaminants?  Or something else?

What I consider a bug is the fact that the contaminant spreads instead of diluting in the water (plus the fact that dwarves don't put on shoes, for the first blisters detected). A forgotten beast that was killed maybe two years earlier shouldn't leave enough contaminant to suddenly kill 50 or so creatures.
Don't quote me on that.
Cacame channels aquifers into submission by staring at them. Cacame is so badass, kobolds give him their children to leave them alone. If Hidden Fun Stuff digs too far down, they hit Cacame. Cacame once took a Tantrum Spiral and impaled four enemies on it.

forumist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 07:10:21 pm »

Just a thought.

Usually, Water + Magma = Obsidian

But, sounds like you have Magma + Water = Obsidian + (Some really spanking hot leftover) Water + corpses (since living things are walking through it)

Or, did I misunderstand?

Maybe you're right and the death cause is hot water, not FB invisible extract. But the water has stayed 7/7 over an obsidian floor for a long time before the dwarves walked there again. Is the magma two z-levels below able to keep the water hot enough to kill dwarves ? And if so, are dwarves not able to consider the place dangerous and cancel their jobs instead of carelessly walking in 2/7 deadly hot water ?
Don't quote me on that.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 07:31:54 pm »

And if so, are dwarves not able to consider the place dangerous and cancel their jobs instead of carelessly walking in 2/7 deadly hot water ?

For Armok, dwarves aren't able to perceive they are ON FIRE.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 08:44:57 pm »

To be fair what would the purpose of a dwarf knowing they are on fire accomplish?

Oh noez! I'm on fire! I'll grab a bucket from this stockpile here put some water in it and put myself out!  ...Oh noez! The bucket is on fire!  Oh noez! The furniture stockpile is on fire! Oh Noez! The cat is on fire! Oh noez! The world is on fire!

or the less apocalyptic, Oh noes! I'm on fire!  I'll jump into this water!  Oh noez! Glub! *!!Urist McFlaming!! has drown*

I do agree that there should be some method for natural evaporation of contaminants.  The old way of everything just vanishing after a time seemed clunky though, and rain does not do it often or reliably enough.  And probably if it was just a simple matter of adding some kind of season counter to each splatter to make it get smaller as seasons pass it would have been done already.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 11:30:35 pm »

Oh noes! I'm on fire!  I'll jump into this water!  Oh noez! Glub! *!!Urist McFlaming!! has drown*
I honestly dont mind that. Just... get the **** out of the fortress.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 02:45:55 am »

Oh noez! I'm on fire! I'll grab a bucket from this stockpile here put some water in it and put myself out!  ...Oh noez! The bucket is on fire!  Oh noez! The furniture stockpile is on fire! Oh Noez! The cat is on fire! Oh noez! The world is on fire!

or the less apocalyptic, Oh noes! I'm on fire!  I'll jump into this water!  Oh noez! Glub! *!!Urist McFlaming!! has drown*

Sigged!