Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: DF in WoW  (Read 68085 times)

Raviaric

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_CARDBOARD_BOXES]
    • View Profile
Re: DF in WoW
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2010, 09:13:43 pm »

They need an entire quest chain referencing DF. With a bright cyan axe as one of the possible rewards.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2010, 09:45:19 pm »

Why is anyone of the sort complaining?!

This is awesome!

1) The biggest MMO is putting a easter egg conversation referring to DF. That in itself is amazing.

2) Free freaking advertisement for this great game!

3) ITs awesome!

At your second statement, it doesn't really say, "Hey this is from Dwarf Fortress at Bay12games.com."
And people who don't know about Dwarf Fortress wont get it.
Holy shit, just posting in a thread related to WoW made my computer freeze for a second.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2010, 10:13:00 pm »

It's the curse of the void.

Look away, lest it ask for all of your personal information.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2010, 12:17:52 am »

Why is anyone of the sort complaining?!

This is awesome!

1) The biggest MMO is putting a easter egg conversation referring to DF. That in itself is amazing.

2) Free freaking advertisement for this great game!

3) ITs awesome!

At your second statement, it doesn't really say, "Hey this is from Dwarf Fortress at Bay12games.com."
And people who don't know about Dwarf Fortress wont get it.
Holy shit, just posting in a thread related to WoW made my computer freeze for a second.

Advertising doesnt need a sign pointing into the direction of what is being advertised, it could be a simple mention which gets people talking through discovery and conversations. Word of Mouth. Etc.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2010, 04:32:16 am »

Yeah, except that conversation is funny without knowing it references anything, and it would be very difficult for someone who didn't already know about DF to link that to DF, especially since they wouldn't really be looking.

I'm not quite sure how you're envisioning a random players reaction, but it certainly won't go like this:
"Man, that was funny, I bet it's a reference to something, I'm going to go find it rather than continue to play this shiny new expansion."

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2010, 12:09:08 pm »

Yeah, except that conversation is funny without knowing it references anything, and it would be very difficult for someone who didn't already know about DF to link that to DF, especially since they wouldn't really be looking.

I'm not quite sure how you're envisioning a random players reaction, but it certainly won't go like this:
"Man, that was funny, I bet it's a reference to something, I'm going to go find it rather than continue to play this shiny new expansion."

Guess why tv-tropes exists. :P Exactly for looking up references and stuff before going back to the shiny new expansion.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Captain Alchatron

• Bay Watcher
  • The Elbow of Ragnaros
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2010, 12:19:15 pm »

Daw, that's really sweet.  And about time too, it's only taken, what, three expansions to get in a reference to DF!  It'll be great using the very same NPC conversation to refer friends on WoW to DF; even if there's no direct reference to the name, I think that way there will be some who'll be enlightened.

It's also something to think that there are designers in Blizzard who play DF themselves.  It could be any one of us...!
If you go up to someone and beat the hell out of them with thread, you not only defeat them, you shame them and their entire family for generations to come (providing that there are any survivors).
Various mouths were involved, and a soda can and a penny I think.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2010, 12:28:15 pm »

Goblins are in the new expansion. I wonder if they life in obsidian towers and have demonic overlords.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Raviaric

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_CARDBOARD_BOXES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2010, 03:22:18 pm »

Goblins are in the new expansion. I wonder if they life in obsidian towers and have demonic overlords.
They're playable in the new expansion; they've been in the game since before the Burning Crusade.

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2010, 04:48:07 pm »

They need an entire quest chain referencing DF. With a bright cyan axe as one of the possible rewards.

Kill 70 elephants...gather 100 mermaid bones...

Then again, DF actually could give WoW some fresh breeze by adding new kind of quests like: engrave a hall, drown the noble dwarf, save a village from starvation by butchering 100 puppies....

Aah yes, the possibilities....

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2010, 02:15:40 am »

At least he didn't magma flood Ironforge.

Captain Alchatron

• Bay Watcher
  • The Elbow of Ragnaros
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2010, 05:02:34 pm »

At least he didn't magma flood Ironforge.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Close enough!
If you go up to someone and beat the hell out of them with thread, you not only defeat them, you shame them and their entire family for generations to come (providing that there are any survivors).
Various mouths were involved, and a soda can and a penny I think.

Xanares

• Bay Watcher
  • Cut them all down!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2010, 05:04:10 pm »

I find it quite cool. It's subtle as it should be. It's a nice way for devs to show respect for quality products by other devs.

When WoW players come up empty-handed searching for Ironforge in game, they'll try google. (or call customer support asking where the hell the dwarwen fortress is)

Krumbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2010, 05:10:15 pm »

I've never seen such a group of rude, self interested, self important, snot-nosed juveniles. The content is without precedent in terms of quality, yet it is all ruined by these barbarians. I can't stand the community there.

When I used to play, on the European servers, everyone was lovely. barely met a bad person ever.
Only in Dwarf Fortress could you get 4 armed heads scuttling about on cavern roofs.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2010, 05:29:21 pm »

Not quite ascii, but there was an april fools joke similar to it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWfyf74jMvg
I lol'd :)
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7