Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Voice tallent needed!  (Read 5495 times)

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Voice tallent needed!
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2010, 07:38:13 am »

I'm up for it, even if my mic is currently missing (not anymore it ain't). 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 07:53:30 am by Xotes »
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2010, 08:29:17 am »

I'll get some stuff recorded soon, probably tonight or over the weekend, Wednesday at the latest.

Captain Hammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2010, 12:16:34 pm »

A round of applause for the amazingly helpful DF community. SO many people willing to help. I am impressed.

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2010, 02:04:16 pm »

Did you have any particular ideas in mind for lines or sounds? In particular, any specific phrasing or accent, or we just go with something and see what happens?
Currently Building: Purplesaber (pit mine/anthill/80 z-level wound in the earth)

Former Projects: Roughnesschants(multi-level aboveground city)

Best summary of Dwarf Fortress:
I'm fairly certain every path in the game leads to some sort of massive execution.

Tokkius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2010, 02:21:25 pm »

Download link...
)

but i will check it out asap... and so i did

Whoa, good ones! It is quite silvery voice you have there, you could easily be newscaster!

It is a bit serious and human-like tone but overall, you nailed phrasing and i think i will make pack with just them :), it sounds like it is perfectly suited for alt-tabbed fort.

Thank you. If you ever need some new clips or a re-record, just let me know.

edit: I'd definitely like to do a complete do-over once I get a better mic. Then again, my school has a couple recording studios, so I'll see if I can get into one of those on my downtime.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 02:24:53 pm by Tokkius »

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2010, 03:04:23 pm »

Did you have any particular ideas in mind for lines or sounds? In particular, any specific phrasing or accent, or we just go with something and see what happens?

Well, typical dwarves are supposed to sound scottishy and df dwarves a bit insaninity/comedy mixed in (DF talk dwarves are quite good at this for example). Phrasing shoud be snappy and short so that if anouncements start comming quickly it does not become annoying (Tokkius got it perfect).

Then there is possiblitiy of Dungeon-keeper like anouncements that some people already said they would like: demonic, deep and slow voice. Menancing lines.

I woould like "basic" pack sound a bit natural (as in, something that you could catch with mic in dwarven settlement), so instead of saying it started raining, there would be rain ambience.

It is a bit serious and human-like tone but overall, you nailed phrasing and i think i will make pack with just them :), it sounds like it is perfectly suited for alt-tabbed fort.

Thank you. If you ever need some new clips or a re-record, just let me know.

edit: I'd definitely like to do a complete do-over once I get a better mic. Then again, my school has a couple recording studios, so I'll see if I can get into one of those on my downtime.

And here it is for everyone to use: http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/toikkus.zip

(btw, can anyone provide example of log with noble having demand? Any other log would be helfull too to catch missed lines and events because i am for example sure that migrant log messages are a lot more varied than what i know about., but since that happens randomly ...)

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2010, 05:47:16 pm »

Out of curiosity, is it possible to have SoundSense choose from a set of sounds whenever a trigger comes up, or is it always the same sound?
Currently Building: Purplesaber (pit mine/anthill/80 z-level wound in the earth)

I'm fairly certain every path in the game leads to some sort of massive execution.

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2010, 06:09:58 pm »

I'd love to join as well  :D
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2010, 06:28:36 pm »

Tokkius has set
The bar for our recording
mine is crap compared.

Nothing I do now
sounds like it is up to scratch
Someone else post theirs.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2010, 09:31:27 pm »

Oh, one other thing: Should we worry about cleaning up sound quality or will you do that?

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2010, 11:10:52 pm »

How about posting a list of events we need lines for?

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2010, 12:16:19 am »

Idea: How about having (some) sounds be a dwarf reaction, fading into an announcement (I'd record it, but I lack the proper tools to do the effect(or rather, don't feel like coughing up $60 to do it), and I don't want to wake people up).

Descriptive example (imagine the audio coming in according to relative position) (Artifact complete):
Dwarf: "I've done it, it's beautiful. (Fade to about 25-40%)Look at it. It's so shiny. I've done it"
                                                             Announcer: "An artifact has been completed"
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 02:07:10 am by Shadowfury333 »

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2010, 12:25:56 am »

I can pull off a demonic voice that manages to scare people when they aren't expecting me to do something weird. Can also maybe attempt something for the gobs on the other end of the spectrum. The problem is I lose said demonic voice if the line is too long, my throat makes me want to cough too terribly. I'll see if I can get my mic in working order. PM me what you'd like to hear me try, if you're interested.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Moonlit_Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • The moon is red... Flee little mortals and despair
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2010, 01:07:46 am »

have you had anyone voice the elves yet?  If not, I believe we need some audio of someone who speaks softly yet clearly with proper grammar and sounds pompous and/or arrogant. 

Reasons: 
soft voice because what other kind of voice could those frail androgenous bastards have.
Clarity and grammar because as immortals they should be fairly well educated.
Pompous and arrogant because they are and because it will give you the urge to kill them.

the only exception to this is the merchant, who should sound like a pansy, especially when you sieze his goods.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2010, 03:13:45 am »

"Your base is under attack!"
"We require more minerals!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5