Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Voice tallent needed!  (Read 5494 times)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
Re: Voice tallent needed!
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2010, 04:12:32 am »

Out of curiosity, is it possible to have SoundSense choose from a set of sounds whenever a trigger comes up, or is it always the same sound?

The can be list of sounds of which one is randomly chosen, see production pack for example.

Idea: How about having (some) sounds be a dwarf reaction, fading into an announcement (I'd record it, but I lack the proper tools to do the effect(or rather, don't feel like coughing up $60 to do it), and I don't want to wake people up).

Descriptive example (imagine the audio coming in according to relative position) (Artifact complete):
Dwarf: "I've done it, it's beautiful. (Fade to about 25-40%)Look at it. It's so shiny. I've done it"
                                                             Announcer: "An artifact has been completed"

That sounds like a good idea!

Oh, and since log lines contains names, anouncements can also go like "Urist done X", "X happened to urist" for some common names.

have you had anyone voice the elves yet?  If not, I believe we need some audio of someone who speaks softly yet clearly with proper grammar and sounds pompous and/or arrogant.

Well, I think that elves are only in speaking roles when diplomat and caravan arrives, so the could be lines for that, yeah.

I would be neat if elven siege woould be anounced as something like "We have come to avenge trees and consume your corpses!", but i am not use how elven siege is anounced in log since i have never been sieged by em.

How about posting a list of events we need lines for?

There is one fairly incomplete in SS thread, but my main problem is i have yet to gather all the possible lines (as possibly important) lines. Hence, me asking for
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 04:14:40 am by zwei »

chantelle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • Chantelle
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2010, 01:08:06 am »

My SO linked me to this, hinting you might be low on the female-voice-offers count. :)
Feel free to PM me with anything you need, I'm happy to help in any way I can; even if I only voice a kobold thief.

Or a million cats.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2010, 01:10:53 am »

Do you have a need for someone who sounds snooty and kind of gay? Because I mighty qualify.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

tyrspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2010, 04:02:46 am »

I have a pretty good voice for semi-professional and professional stuff. Samples here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHIWwUU3sgI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWp2IhA7qb8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6R52V9_S0I

i'd prefer if you email me if you're interested. krause@krauselabs.net

I also enabled notification of replies for this topic.

I also know how to use sound engineering software and could probably help with some samples, other than voice acting.
Chris Krause
Soundsense Mod Community Organizer
http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2010, 04:24:37 am »

I can do a pretty good goblin if you need one.
I put a few examples here
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 04:31:03 am by Robocorn »

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2010, 10:39:56 am »

I've covered all the stuff toikkus did in a neutral tone, I may do another in a more humorous/emotional way.
In the event that you can have separate sounds for different civs coming to trade/kill you, I really want to record a dwarf, remarking of incoming elves:
"The pansy-wagon is on it's way."

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2010, 01:47:49 pm »

I can do a pretty good goblin if you need one.
I put a few examples here

Those are quite good goblin sounds! I deepend em a bit (sounded a bit kobbold pitched, imho) and added then as semi-rare variant of ambush sound.

I have a pretty good voice for semi-professional and professional stuff.

Well have to talk :)

Do you have a need for someone who sounds snooty and kind of gay? Because I mighty qualify.

You mean elf? I guess so :)

My SO linked me to this, hinting you might be low on the female-voice-offers count. :)
Feel free to PM me with anything you need, I'm happy to help in any way I can; even if I only voice a kobold thief.

Or a million cats.

Dwarvem lasses are indeed underrepresented even if there is usually at least 50% of them in fortresses, so of course :)

I really want to record a dwarf, remarking of incoming elves:
"The pansy-wagon is on it's way."

Do that!

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2010, 06:31:57 pm »

Zwei, do you have Skype? It might be easier for us all to bounce ideas for voice styles, instead of making a bunch hoping some will be the right tone or line. Also, there may be some sounds involving multiple people that would require more planning (i.e. groups).
Currently Building: Purplesaber (pit mine/anthill/80 z-level wound in the earth)

Former Projects: Roughnesschants(multi-level aboveground city)

Best summary of Dwarf Fortress:
I'm fairly certain every path in the game leads to some sort of massive execution.

Box

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMINHUNTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2010, 08:44:41 pm »

Clarity and grammar because as immortals they should be fairly well educated.

for being well educated they sure don't show it when they attack steel-bearing buff-as-hell dwarves with wooden weapons
You should come inside the box.

Then you'll know what I mean.

Moonlit_Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • The moon is red... Flee little mortals and despair
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2010, 04:00:15 am »

told you they should sound arrogant :P

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2010, 06:58:42 am »

It looks like we got plenty of aspiring voice actors, but if you need someone a somewhat deep voice and a Dutch accent I can contribute :P (not a very thick accent, but my countymen recognize it).
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2010, 03:44:48 am »

Okay, this is rough battle-plan:

1) As far as sounds go:

There are basically three types of sounds:

a) Possibly repeated often or of minor importance. (Example: masterpiece spam, births/growths, cancel spam, combat). Theese should not have any voicework because that would clutter sounds space.

Theese should be sfx shorter than roughly two seconds. As natural as possible (canceling milling job could sound like two stones moving against each other, combat is obvious) because they are going to be atmosphere enhancement.

Each type should be distinctive enough so that player could recognize roughly what happened without looking into log. (i.e. that his manager order was completed).

This is great opportunity for many people who want to help as many different skills can help and you can contribute just well by scouting net for sounds or just tweaking them in editor if you do not have recording equipment.

(And, of course crazy one-in-million easer egg sounds. It would be neat to have 1% chance of dwarf gloating about his leetsness when he makes masterpiece or 1% chance of dwarf going "Hey, what about cutting down some damn trrrees, you elf!" if he has "cancels job: needs wooden log." event.)

b) Infrequent events and/or events of some importance that player will want to catch. (Examples: moods, migrants, caravans, mandates, invaders)

Theese are a bit tough, basically three things can be done:
i) music piece/ambient sounds.
ii) voiced commentary (from dwarf or from other party)
iii) more distinct ding.

For example, mandate could be either "Aehm" cough that player would recognize as tip-off to check nobles screen or "i have a new mandate." line could be said.

You can react to ambush by short combat music piece or spoken comentary.

Generally, if Dwarf does something, it should be voiced commentary of him doing it. ("I have breached into caverns deep underground!" (guess what), "shhhh, i have an idea, mumble mumble mumble" (secretive mood dwarf) or "i feel compled to mumble mumble" (possessed dwarf) ).

This is wherrre dwarrrfy voices are needed and where much of deciding needs to be done.

c) Simple state anouncements that do not really mean much on themselves but which are great opportunity to impact mood. Raining for example, or Seasons.

Currently, seasons are music pices that is kind of lackluster: songs are distracting while they should be more of background loops. And even then, it is music. Many people already listen to music in they player of choice, so it is pointless.

Basically, this needs scouting for more suitable tracks or compiling list of ambient non-music tracks. Or even musician on quest of making dwarfy summer/autumn/winter/spring music.

2) Identify what can be done.

Since we are limited by logs, we can really only react to what we find in logs, so:

a) All possible messages need to be compiled including rare ones that might not even happen for some particular fortress (based on location, player playstyle and his preferences). Basically, many gamelogs are needed.

Your logs, I need them.

3) Your packs :)

Frankly, I would be quite happy if people followed sphr's example, adopted certain functionality they are interested in they way people currently make their own tileset and publish them.

Or if you just tinker with some existing pack and make it's remix.

Zwei, do you have Skype? It might be easier for us all to bounce ideas for voice styles, instead of making a bunch hoping some will be the right tone or line. Also, there may be some sounds involving multiple people that would require more planning (i.e. groups).

It would be awesome if someone did what you propose, of course. Guess it is time for me to get skype account

It looks like we got plenty of aspiring voice actors, but if you need someone a somewhat deep voice and a Dutch accent I can contribute :P (not a very thick accent, but my countymen recognize it).

tyrspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2010, 04:15:02 am »

I think you would do well to appoint a team organizer for this project - to manage who can do what, and who is available for what. I'd be willing to do it if you want.

I get the feeling that you don't have the time to manage the human resources aspect of this mod - as I replied to both threads and emailed you and didn't really get a response. I have a lot of free time over the summer and could help you with this mod.
Chris Krause
Soundsense Mod Community Organizer
http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2010, 12:34:35 pm »

I'm afraid my mike's bricked, so I'm having to drop out. SOrry.

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2010, 05:29:49 pm »

I can PM you my Skype username if you want, zwei.

Also, for 1.b), I was considering the same thing, but thought that many dwarf POV messages would be rather obtuse. Having an announcer mixed in, at least for some of the times the message pops up, would reduce confusion and make it easier to associate sound with event.
Currently Building: Purplesaber (pit mine/anthill/80 z-level wound in the earth)

Former Projects: Roughnesschants(multi-level aboveground city)

Best summary of Dwarf Fortress:
I'm fairly certain every path in the game leads to some sort of massive execution.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5