Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Herman's Plant Mod v0.1 (for 0.31.08)  (Read 3106 times)

Lord Herman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Herman's Plant Mod v0.1 (for 0.31.08)
« on: July 08, 2010, 06:02:24 am »

Greetings!

After playing a number of the wonderful mods you guys made, I've decided to try my hand at modding DF myself. The result is a simple mod that adds many real world plants to the game. The underground plants are unchanged for now, but I've taken out the standard plants, replacing some of them with their real world equivalents.

Many of the plants can be brewed into booze, some can be milled for flour or sugar, and some can be extracted for jam and the like.

This is still a work in progress. I haven't done much with material values, and some of the prefstrings are just plain silly. Most plants can be found either in all temperate or all tropical biomes or both, and some are also in cold biomes - maybe I'll make the biomes more accurate later, but for now I wanted to make sure all biomes had access to a fair number of plants. I haven't quite figured out how to do plants of which the seeds are the only edible part, so I kinda cheated there.

As this is a work in progress, I welcome your feedback! Please let me know if I made any mistakes anywhere, if my information about a plant wasn't entirely accurate, or if the mod made your computer burst into flame.
Disclaimer: Lord Herman cannot be held responsible for the spontaneous combustion of any computer hardware or household pets resulting from the use of this mod.

I'd like to thank The13thRonin of the Dig Deeper mod for giving me the idea of beekeeping in farms.

List of new plants:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

To install the mod, download my modded plant_standard.txt file from the link below, and put it in your Dwarf Fortress/raw/objects/ directory. Backup your original plant_standard.txt file first!
Download linky!

cameron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Herman's Plant Mod v0.1 (for 0.31.08)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 12:15:23 pm »

im pretty sure that to just make seeds edible you put [edible raw] or whatever right after  [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SEED:SEED_TEMPLATE]

and get rid of it after
 [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STRUCTURAL:STRUCTURAL_PLANT_TEMPLATE]

look at Longland grass as an example. For plants that cant be brewed or milled (does milling give seeds?) maybe try making a custom reaction somewhere (kitchen?) to get the seeds from the plant if that would work
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 12:18:12 pm by cameron »