Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The begining of a green administrator  (Read 1008 times)

Vagabond

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
The begining of a green administrator
« on: December 15, 2007, 10:26:00 pm »

Yup, so far so good. I followed the tutorial posted at the wiki.

Through much trial and error, and about six restarted attempts I finally managed to get my little gang working. I so far discovered that a fisher and a fish cleaner shouldn't be assigned to one dwarf as that bugger will sit down and fish all day and the smell of rotten fish will not even remind him about cleaning!

Also discovered that you don't need a mountain to make a home. Can just dig underground.

Right now, moving my stores underground and trying my hand at farming.

Does anyone wish to throw some pointers at me?

Apologies if this all sounds very elementary, but you know, I wish to let you all know that I found this game a very rewarding experience.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: The begining of a green administrator
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 10:33:00 pm »

Sounds like you're doing very well.  Most people have a lot of trouble mastering the basics, but you seem to have a pretty good grasp already.  I'd say the best thing to do is just experiment and see what happens.  How the game plays is entirely dependent on what you want to do with it, so set some goals and work towards them.  Of course, if you find yourself with any questions, feel free to ask!  And welcome to the support group.  You know, Dwarfaholics Anonymous.

Keizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Proving dwarven motorcycle gangs are yankees too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 10:36:00 pm »

No, this post is awesome. I love reading posts like this.

I can give you a few useful pointers. I can't see your fort so you may already have learned about these, but what the hell.

1.) Make almost all of your hallways 2 spaces wide. 1 space wide hallways = massive slowdown, as dwarf need to lie down to let traffic pass by them in tight spaces.

2.) Brewing is more important than food in general. Your dwarves drink more than they eat, and dwarves without alcohol become very unproductive very fast. It's good that you're starting farming up, as it's vital to your success.

3.) To make your dwarves happy, construct a fairly large dining hall and make it a meeting ground. Pack it full of tables and chairs, and whatever decorative statues or arts that you have available, smooth and engrave its floors.. it'll do wonders for dwarf morale.

I'm still pretty new to the game and the largest my forts have ever been is ~120 dwarves, but I hope this helps. And have fun!

[ December 15, 2007: Message edited by: Keizo ]

火族

DR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 10:43:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Keizo:
<STRONG>
1.) Make almost all of your hallways 2 spaces wide. 1 space wide hallways = massive slowdown, as dwarf need to lie down to let traffic pass by them in tight spaces.
</STRONG>

I'd say probably 5 wide is better for busy areas.

Vagabond

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 06:59:00 am »

Much thanks for those pointers.

One more thing, the traders left.

How do I know whether I had traded anything at all with them?

It seemed like the 't' option wasn't advaliable to me the whole time when I selected the trade depot.

Ah well, I got enough seeds to last me til the next year.

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 07:14:00 am »

To trade in this version, you have to have your Trader/Broker at the depot. You can do this by the 'Request Trader at Depot' when you open the depot menu. Only if the trader is actually on the depot, will you actually be able to trade anything.

Vagabond

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 08:27:00 am »

Seems like my trade was not a success.

Ah well, right now my farm is providing enough.

Right now, the dwarves survived winter. The fisherdwarf spent the cold season making bone crafts. It also seemed that I have too much stone and not enough wood. However my past accomplishments over the year is looking mighty fine:
- Caught over two hundred units of fishes.
- Converted their carcasses to something salable.
- Constructed barracks, dining room, and an individual bedrooms for each little bugger, complete with a stone door, wooden cabinents, stone coffers and wooden beds. (Next time, I will try and make them out of stone). Their thoughts indicated they stayed up late at night admiring the fine stone door. I'm glad they are happy, but... that's odd.
- Made a large farm.
- A meagre office for my leader. I will move him downstairs to the stone level.
- Constructed workshops and tradeshops.

Pending tasks on the agenda
- Manipulate water flow so that it is closer to my underground home.
- Create weapons
- Smelt some magnetite ore
- Trade successfully
- Brew more alcohol
- Hope for more immigration. Seven guys is a bit too stretched.

[ December 16, 2007: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 08:43:00 am »

I assume your game is running fine, as you seem relatively happy. But I suggest at least for the first bit, toning down the max population to something manageable, like 20 dwarves. Otherwise, its entirely possible, and I have seen it done (plus had it happen to me), that you get *too* many immigrants and it just becomes so hard to feed them all....then they get all unhappy....Then you lose. ^_^

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 05:51:00 pm »

One thing most people miss initially is that the dining hall needs one chair per table, or one table per chair. If you put 4 chairs around 1 table, all your dwarves will sit around that table and complain of the lack of tables.

Another tip: Have one defensible entrance, rather than having several entrances that enemies can attack. A large part of the fun is thinking up devious ways to kill invaders and then building those traps.

"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 05:59:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Skanky:
<STRONG>
Another tip: Have one defensible entrance, rather than having several entrances that enemies can attack. A large part of the fun is thinking up devious ways to kill invaders and then building those traps.</STRONG>

More fun is having years of sparring come up to a single five second gore fest between Dwarf and Goblin.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Shadowslasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2007, 10:23:00 pm »

I guess I'll add my kernels of knowledge

-Remove hauling tasks from any Dwarf whose profession you need to use often (I.E. Miner, Woodcutter, sometimes Mason/Carpenter).

- Attach a war dog or two on a chain near your front entrance, to stop Kobold thieves.

-Later on, if you need hauling done, take a legendary dwarf and give him only hauling jobs. He'll move things fast!

-Slaughter kittens and cats unless you want too many to handle in a couple of years. Once a Dwarf has them for a pet, you're basically stuck with them for life and those suckers breed.

Feel free to ask any questions on the forum!