Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How can I stop my brook from freezing?  (Read 3676 times)

Ralp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://ralp.net/
How can I stop my brook from freezing?
« on: July 08, 2010, 07:05:46 pm »

My brook flows from south to north.  In the south it cuts through mountains and then reaches flat soil.  In the summer, it's all water.  In the winter, it's solid ice.  In between, the north part is thawed, right up to the 4 tiles where it flows out of the mountain, and the rest is ice except for a patch that, judging by the brook walls, runs through a patch of schist.  (I don't know what special insulating properties schist has but if schist will somehow make my water wheels run even 9 months a year instead of just 3 that would be swell.  My goal is year-round flow though!)

Anyway, I dug and filled a magma reservoir directly under all the southern-most water tiles, 4 tiles wide by, oh, like 20-30 long, following the path of the brook.  This didn't have any effect, neither on "brook" tiles nor channeled-out spots.  What gives?

My next best (desperate) idea is to dig out the ice, channel out whatever floor is under it separating it from the magma, and install nice conductive copper flooring.  I don't know if temperature flow works like that in dwarf fortress or not though.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
Re: How can I stop my brook from freezing?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 07:31:15 pm »

Step 1: Wait until it is summer, and the brook is completely thawed.  Save the game.
Step 2: Go into the init/d_init.txt file and set TEMPERATURE:YES to TEMPERATURE:NO.
Step 3: Play in perpetual summer.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Ralp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://ralp.net/
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 07:35:34 pm »

Yeah ok.  Try this question instead then: How can my dwarves stop their brook from freezing?

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 08:03:39 pm »

You may need to have the magma flowing.  I'm not to sure about the new version, but in the old version, magma 1zlevel below ice wouldn't melt it unless the magma was changing levels.  My guess is that's when it redid the heat calculations, so 7/7 magma wouldn't do a darn thing after the weather said "you freeze now" to the brook.

As for why that tiny bit of brook doesn't freeze...  it has nothing to do with the schist and everything to do with what the schist represents:  A new biome.  The biome don't have 100% straight edges, so they tend to bleed over a bit.  However, little things like "freezes in the winter" *don't* bleed past the biome edge.  So you have a little jag of warm weather in your otherwise frozen wasteland.

You can always run the water underground -- there's plenty of documentation on the wiki about perpetual motion.  Long story short:  run water down a channel, put waterwheels on it.  The water falls down a hole, and runs under the original channel (might as well put waterwheels on it).  The waterwheels then cause pumps to pump the water back up to the start of the original channel...  You have to make sure you have enough water for it to keep going, and you may have to restart it with a manual pump if it stalls out when you're making sure it has enough water, but otherwise, you're golden forever as the water won't actually evaporate out unless a tile stays at 1/7 for entirely too long.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 08:10:09 pm »

Hello;

In my fort Beandagger I spent about 8 years of my dwarves' hard labor trying to make unfreezing surface water using ingame mechanics. Basically I had an empty moat exposed to the surface, and I filled the caverns below the moat with magma (every tile which is meant to have water above it, has magma below it) and this did not work for me. The water still freezes in the tiles with 7\7 magma right below them.

!!!However!!!

This MAY be caused by the fact that I have bauxite roads built inside the tunnels with the magma in them. These count as buildings, which is supposed to prevent trees from growing in the unpaved caverns. The biggest problem right now is that saplings aren't set on fire by magma flows, so unpaved soil magma tubes with magma inside them are still in danger of suddenly growing trees and becoming impacted.

I made a drainage system and I'm emptying the magma moat out, to give it another shot without the bauxite roads in the tunnels. I noticed that the floor tiles above the bauxite roads are not having their temperature raised, possibly due to the buildings.

When I did a test-fill and put magma and water into the system with no roads in place, the heating DID work, but the surface of the water still froze into an ice floor. :( This doesn't seem to be possible to prevent or engineer around, unfortunately, but please please prove me wrong.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 09:10:40 pm »

Trees need mud to grow (or seem to grow very, very rarely without mud) and magma erases mud, so you shouldn't have to worry about trees growing inside your magma pipes.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Rkui

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 02:36:59 am »

Just channel your own brook inside your fort, underground water won't freeze, so your deviation will stay liquid, the main brook will freeze.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 05:58:57 am »

Trees need mud to grow (or seem to grow very, very rarely without mud) and magma erases mud, so you shouldn't have to worry about trees growing inside your magma pipes.

Incorrect... Trees grow on every single "dark" soil floor tile in my map. None of them are muddy. The only thing that stops it is the presence of a building, stockpile, or constructed floor. Muddy constructed floors grow trees, however.

Anyway, with my k menu I see that a young fungiwood is growing in the magma in several places around my fort. :|
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.