Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Prototype: Metal Fiber Extruder  (Read 779 times)

Star Weaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Prototype: Metal Fiber Extruder
« on: July 08, 2010, 08:00:47 pm »

Download: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2646

This is a minimally-tested hack to allow the production of fiber from metals via an extruder workshop.

Currently, all metals are in, so you can have pig iron fiber or whatever craziness you want. I haven't changed the physical properties of anything, because I haven't looked up how metal fibers would really work or anything :).

Current downsides:

* Fiber metal types will show up in dwarf preferences instead of normal metals sometimes. On the other hand, fiber metals will probably not satisfy preferences for the metals they are based on.

* I haven't been able to get the fiber itself into a stockpile. I think I had some luck with stockpiling the cloth, but I need to test more. Just haven't gotten that far with a live fort.

* You have to smith clothes with the fiber at the forge, which takes fuel, and I'm not sure I determined which labor does it.

Entity lines for the main file:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've also thorn in an experimental unnatural metal: frore, from the igneous intrusive ore gelidite. Both have a fixed material temperature of around 40 F; I was thinking that it might be useful to keep people cool in very hot zones, but I haven't tested it for that. It's got most of the values from gold, but silver's value and sheer force stats approaching copper. It also uses stone and metal colors that are not taken by any default materials.

If you don't want that, just get rid of the *_cold.txt files.

Entity codes:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
Re: Prototype: Metal Fiber Extruder
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 04:29:44 pm »

I don't have DF with me right now, but wouldn't this work better as it is for all metals? Or more?

[REACTION:PROCESS_WOOD]
    [NAME:process wood to fiber]
    [BUILDING:EXTRUDER:NONE]
    [REAGENT:A:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:NONE]
    [PRODUCT:100:1:THREAD:NO_SUBTYPE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:15000]
    [SKILL:EXTRACT_STRAND]

[REACTION:PROCESS_STONE]
     [NAME:process stone to fiber]
    [REAGENT:A:1:BOULDER:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:NONE]
     [PRODUCT:100:1:THREAD:NO_SUBTYPE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:15000]

[REACTION:PROCESS_METAL]
    [NAME:process metal to fiber]
    [REAGENT:A:150:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:NONE]

Beats having a reaction for every metal. Plus works for other mods.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 06:48:42 pm by BigFatDwarf »
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

cartmann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 05:29:34 pm »

Ouch, that must make the OP feel like they've wasted a loooong time!

Well, it'll sprice up the hospital!
*Gold Thread* for a bandage, awesome.

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 06:32:19 pm »

Gold? GOLD!? *Real* dwarves make their bandages from stone! And sew stone up for clothes!

I wonder how would stone clothes go up for combat though.

EDIT: Still, I don't know if it REALLY works. So could somebody test it? I'll need ages to get the DF config'd and with utils and tilesets.
          Then there's the horrible worldgen speed.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 06:54:51 pm by BigFatDwarf »
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

Star Weaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 07:43:12 pm »

I tried something like that and got metal cloth that I didn't seem to be able to do anything with. Your example might not have that problem; I was following along someone's example of making gold thread (where they also had this problem) from a while ago.

Using thread made from a metal with the [wafers] tag was the first thing I found that made the cloth useable.

I meant to say, I have no idea if this is the best way to do this, just the first I came up with that worked at all :).

Someone suggested using materials attached to plants that don't exist for the fibers instead of ore that dosen't exist, which might also have less side effects, so I'll have to try that at some point.