Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Nice Music!  (Read 46570 times)

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
Nice Music!
« on: July 09, 2010, 08:16:49 pm »

I went to go check out this dead prequel, really to see where Dwarf Fortress came from, and mostly, it sucked.

The music was actually really amazing. Was it all created by Toady himself? It made me think of a perilous unending adventure mode game. Which is was Armok one pretty much was. I think.
Lisidadil - A story of one of my first forts.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Nice Music!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 05:12:53 am »

He he he, yeah, that was me.  It's weird to listen back to them.  The modified dates were all from 2002, so I guess I did those a year before I started playing the guitar.  I suppose midi was already out of date by then.  It would be fun to mess around with multi-instrumental stuff again, but I'm not even sure what people use these days when they don't have access to live musicians.

The title music is the same as the Dragslay title music from like...  1996 or something.  I guess that was a nostalgia thing for ourselves.  Actually, since you were curious to see the sucky beginnings of DF, here's the Dragslay music, he he he, my very first midi "songs".  There were also spoken parts (...), but those were VOC files and I'm not sure how to play them now.  The game itself doesn't run properly.

wilderness/town
regular battle
you died
dragon battle
undead battle
in the bar
title
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 10:00:41 am »

While you're at it, could you post the sound effects too?
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 11:31:05 am »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 01:52:09 pm »

Well, isn't this a boon; a musical window into Toady's development roots.  How ironic that I've been listening to videogame music all morning.

I love old MIDI music myself.  I even used to make some.  That they're even listenable and kinda catchy in an old arcade way is an accomplishment.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 02:33:28 pm »

It would be fun to mess around with multi-instrumental stuff again, but I'm not even sure what people use these days when they don't have access to live musicians.

There are countless programs, ranging from Free to Extremely Expensive. Ask anyone who actually knows one of them, and you will get a different answer from each person.
Of the free(and not free trial version) ones that I have seen(emphasis to make it clear to demitrolls that I know that it isn't the best), musescore seems fairly powerful without being incomprehensable, although it is primarily aimed at creating sheet music and the playback/save to audio features are far worse than more complex/expensive alternatives. It does do midi, though...
Eh?
Eh!

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 03:57:04 pm »

Wow, thanks Toady.

The music from Dragslay reminds me of my childhood. (I was 6 back in 96). So I missed the really early years of gaming/computers. But I at least grew up with the Nintendo.

But thanks for sharing, it does carry a lot of nostalgia with it.
Lisidadil - A story of one of my first forts.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

Captain Alchatron

• Bay Watcher
  • The Elbow of Ragnaros
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 05:20:49 am »

The bar music reminds me of the sailors' song in B&W (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0x4Kw_y4fg).  Sweet nostalgia!  That thing's been stuck in my head for years now.
If you go up to someone and beat the hell out of them with thread, you not only defeat them, you shame them and their entire family for generations to come (providing that there are any survivors).
Various mouths were involved, and a soda can and a penny I think.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 03:42:07 pm »

Those are the best and worst sound effects ever.  Voice-acted weapon strikes.  I love it.

Any thought of making another game that could use these?  (Or did I just guess the secret project?)
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 12:26:34 am »

*Aqizzar is suddenly banned and all traces of him are removed from the forum*
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 04:53:22 am »

I just have a question (Im not trying to be insulting):were some of the sounds made by using your mouth?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 06:22:29 am by Dwarf mc dwarf »

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 08:32:07 am »

Various mouths were involved, and a soda can and a penny I think.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2010, 10:14:18 am »

It sounds pretty good for various mouths,a soda can and a penny.
Pages: [1] 2