Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Nice Music!  (Read 45588 times)

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
Re: Nice Music!
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2010, 01:31:16 pm »

Do you have plans to integrate sound into adventure mode at any point? I don't think it's something that would be high on anyone's list, but it would still be interesting. It might be a bit chaotic though, the way things seem to work with everything that happens between your actions seemingly occuring all at once.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2010, 05:49:53 pm »

Yeah, the only way it worked in Dragslay was that you had to press enter for every single line of text.  In DF adv mode, you'd have to do something like playing only the most important sound for the entire turn's announcement dump, and I'm not sure that would be satisfying, or you'd have to play them in sequence and just have them going on while you think about your next move, which also seems sort of weird.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2010, 06:06:25 pm »

Yeah, the only way it worked in Dragslay was that you had to press enter for every single line of text.  In DF adv mode, you'd have to do something like playing only the most important sound for the entire turn's announcement dump, and I'm not sure that would be satisfying, or you'd have to play them in sequence and just have them going on while you think about your next move, which also seems sort of weird.

Couldn't it just play them as they occur, while it's still churning through the combat calculations?  You'd probably have to multithread it, but that would probably be really simple in this case.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2010, 06:43:48 pm »

The combat calculation time is negligible compared to the length of a sound effect (I can churn out ~500 lines of combat log in 5 seconds in the arena while it is logging 2MB of debug data), but in adv mode overall, with the general delays that accompanying each phase, playing a sound from each strike might work, though there'd probably be some weird overlap at times if there isn't some time spent on delays/spacing.  If it's just you fighting one guy, the delay would be fine.  If there are other guys around, you'd want more overlap -- I guess it could allocate a channel to each ongoing combat within reason, though distributing that around might get messy if there aren't clean pairs of combatants.  I probably wouldn't need to mess with any threading myself, the way fmod seems to work.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2010, 11:07:05 pm »

Slowing down adventure mode combat, if done well(and with an init toggle), might actually help. If combat nearby within sight were louder and slower while the rest would be quieter and generally combined into a faint overall noise that passed quickly, it might focus the players on the nearby fight, and make it more immersive(how m any people notice everything with equal clarity?)...
Eh?
Eh!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2010, 06:55:00 pm »

Haha voice acted weapon sounds, somebody did something with Half-Life 2 where they replaced all the sound with their voice, pretty funny.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2010, 05:57:43 am »

Haha voice acted weapon sounds, somebody did something with Half-Life 2 where they replaced all the sound with their voice, pretty funny.

Which I believe was done even earlier with a cheat in Timesplitters where all the weapon sound effects are replaced by voiced sound effects.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2010, 07:52:50 pm »

Those death noises are awesome. Course, I like the uurrrgh, ERK (Armok1) better.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2010, 09:12:19 pm »

Oh god it's like runescape
Pages: 1 [2]