Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Root: A Threetoe Story  (Read 23414 times)

Kadath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Root: A Threetoe Story
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 07:34:21 am »

One thing that Toady's analysis didn't mention: The squirrel appears pretty sapient/intelligent even as a plain old red squirrel. This opens up a pretty big can of worms. After all, animals acting intelligent is a common fantasy thing, but how do you simulate that in a game like DF? How do you decide which of your regular forest animals are intelligent, and under which conditions? Obviously, a regular red squirrel, even in DF, won't consistently act like that in all cases, so I think this deserves some analysis and speculation.

The story takes place in a sacred grove, so possibly the forest spirit changes the animals around it; making them more intelligent for example.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2010, 11:13:44 am »

do elves keep vermin as pets?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 03:00:24 pm »

One thing that Toady's analysis didn't mention: The squirrel appears pretty sapient/intelligent even as a plain old red squirrel. This opens up a pretty big can of worms. After all, animals acting intelligent is a common fantasy thing, but how do you simulate that in a game like DF? How do you decide which of your regular forest animals are intelligent, and under which conditions? Obviously, a regular red squirrel, even in DF, won't consistently act like that in all cases, so I think this deserves some analysis and speculation.

The story takes place in a sacred grove, so possibly the forest spirit changes the animals around it; making them more intelligent for example.

No, the sacred grove is the place the satyrs were at, where the princess woke up. The "sacred grove" is not the forest itself.

You're right about the forest spirit, though; it makes sense for divine influence of some sort to have that kind of effect.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 06:06:50 pm »

Thanks for reading my story.  I appreciate the feedback.  I'll keep writing.  I hope you keep playing Dwarf Fortress!

Well i am very pleased by this story - thank you! I would even donate without playing df if i get a one of your storys once in while :P . Which i should actually do - the donating - since i just got paid for the month.

edit:

No, the sacred grove is the place the satyrs were at, where the princess woke up. The "sacred grove" is not the forest itself.

You're right about the forest spirit, though; it makes sense for divine influence of some sort to have that kind of effect.

Matagan could make his comrades/tribe half-sentient too which would make control over them easyer, and if the Forrest spirit (or actually its soul-(con)struct) is linked to every animal it could sort some things out. Connecting the animals with the forrest-spirit could also solve some other issues for example how the spirit knows whats going on etc.

In code you could give animals "instincts*" a short term memory and a limited fact memory for imprinting.  (which by the way is a good way to simulate actual behaviour). For "half intelligence" you can override the decision of the instincts by the Soul of the Dominating being. Thinking of Matagans death you should have a man in the middle instead of direct control by the dominating being so: Matagan/spirit/whoever -> proxy -> Animal. Matagan gives a order to the proxy that gives the order to the animal. The proxy can do also the higher thinking of the animal based on the short term and fact memory of said animal. It Also could give back the thoughts/status of the animal to other animals or "higher" beings that are connected to the proxy.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 07:23:52 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2010, 08:31:11 am »

Beautiful story. It really highlights that Dwarves really are very brutish and dangerous creatures by their ignorance and priorites. Yeah we can make perpetual motion, yeah we can harness the power of magma. I'd be a millionare if I had a dollar for every kitten bone bolt spent in target practice by my orders. Where's the respect?
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2010, 01:12:45 pm »

Beautiful story. It really highlights that Dwarves really are very brutish and dangerous creatures by their ignorance and priorites.

Did I miss something? The only reference to dwarves in the story, that I remember, is that some dwarves crafted a particular sword mentioned.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2010, 02:27:58 pm »

Beautiful story. It really highlights that Dwarves really are very brutish and dangerous creatures by their ignorance and priorites.

Did I miss something? The only reference to dwarves in the story, that I remember, is that some dwarves crafted a particular sword mentioned.

I mean Dwarves from the wider context of what we know... Sorry to get all mystical on everyone.

Ok, what I mean is, the Elf in the story gathered up the squirrel and set out to avenge the squirrels master. A Dwarf on the other hand, would likely gather up the squirrel, tie the squirrel up on the periphery, and by his final death squeals be alerted of any goblin ambushes...

Eh, maybe that was a gopher. Same difference.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 02:39:05 pm by cephalo »
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2010, 03:40:47 pm »

A Dwarf on the other hand, would likely gather up the squirrel, tie the squirrel up on the periphery, and by his final death squeals be alerted of any goblin ambushes...

Eh, maybe that was a gopher. Same difference.

I hope Threetoe reads this and uses it for a future story plot.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2010, 09:32:27 pm »

It was good. Better than a few others.

But there were still a few iffy things, I say.
If I misinterpret it, it is because I skimmed parts of it.

The Elf Druid is drunk. Very drunk. And the Princess. Yet they don't seem to be drunk. I mean, I guess it is different with everyone, but usually they slur their words. Or soemthing like that.

And I know the druid is crazy, but when he tells Itho to go on the quest, it seems very sudden. Its just like this:

Oh no, Forest god thing is dead.
YOU MUST GO ON A QUEST FOR REVENGE. HAHAHAHAHA I AM CRAZY.

Well, not exactly like that, but you get what I mean.

Itho seems to realize it was his brother very fast. And we never get a mentioning of his brother. It just seemed very strange. Maybe adding something of his grief for his brother's sudden and tragic disappearance, just before his marrying or whatnot to the princess. That could have tied a few things together.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2010, 01:37:06 pm »

It was pretty good. There were a few minor story problems, but overall it was very well done! :)
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.
Pages: 1 [2]