Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.09 Released  (Read 50688 times)

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.09 Released
« Reply #90 on: July 11, 2010, 01:16:57 am »

You're not going to get a spearhead that's wider than a person's waist, you can trust me on that one.
Well, I didn't test it on sapient creatures, just occured while I was gathering bodies for butcher testing:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 11, 2010, 01:19:55 am »

unfortunately, dwarfs are still upgrading their left gauntlets with higher quality right gauntlets :(
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 11, 2010, 01:22:33 am »

You're not going to get a spearhead that's wider than a person's waist, you can trust me on that one.
Well, I didn't test it on sapient creatures, just occured while I was gathering bodies for butcher testing:

Well, it probably depends on how big the groundhog is.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2010, 01:27:54 am »

Well, it probably depends on how big the groundhog is.
And whether it's biting you with its entire face.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 11, 2010, 01:29:13 am »

Yeah, doing it to a groundhog makes more sense, although it's still rather odd.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 11, 2010, 01:35:58 am »

Man, there is no sweeter sight than that of sixteen ogres waling on a bronze collosus with steel daggers and turning it into a big bronze statue of, um, a pixie.

But yeah, the bit where it died was sweet.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 11, 2010, 01:37:10 am »

Also, seems spears are bugged. Many of my strikes with spear result in severed bodyparts, such as heads or even lower body's.
Does this ever happen when the body part has never been hit before, or does it apply only to already wounded parts?  We did get cumulative damage this update, and a spear could realistically (albeit gruesomely) dismember a major body part with enough strikes.

RabidRabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 11, 2010, 01:53:27 am »

Quote from: Orkel
Awesome. I noticed one thing though, bolts are insanely deadly. Copper bolts tear through "blue metal" armor like butter. Sure this is supposed to happen? ;)

He he, every version will have its problems.  You could try reducing the velocity in the item_weapon file, but I'm not sure how much that'll help before they can't penetrate anything.  We continue to spiral down toward proper behavior.

Been testing w/ dwarves shooting at each other in arena - each equipped w/ a full suit of metal armor, iron crossbow, and metal bolts:

Changing SHOOT_MAXVEL from the crossbow entry from '1000' to '30' results in slightly more reasonable behavior.  Material doesn't seem to matter anymore, and iron/steel/blue bolts will pierce iron/steel/blue armor roughly 1 out of every 3-5 shots.  Changing it to '10' is too low, where anything not a neck shot is harmless, and '50' is still high enough to penetrate any armor all the time.

Also, is it just me, or do bolts have a better chance to penetrate on subsequent shots after the first wound?  Does it have something to do w/ the target falling down, or the armor weakening after letting the first bolt through, or am I just imagining things?

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #98 on: July 11, 2010, 02:46:23 am »

I think I'll download .09 just to embark with 100+ puppies and wait till autumn.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 11, 2010, 02:52:20 am »

It's just not called a spear anymore ;)

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 11, 2010, 03:00:21 am »

Any news on .10 ? Will it still come "tonight"?

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 11, 2010, 03:04:57 am »

So, what's next on your plans, Toady?

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 11, 2010, 03:09:02 am »

Decided to try my hand at MSpaint drawings in the spirit of this event
Okay due to the speed of Toady this is rather useless and the large amount of grammar and spelling mistakes saddens me greatly
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 05:00:05 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2010, 03:26:45 am »

Quote from: cowofdoom78963
Dont you think x should be added to the list of keybindings?

Ah, yeah, if you are talking about the manual page, I haven't added an adv key for a while, and totally forgot.  It'll be in 0.31.10.

Quote from: Capntastic
To be sure, the only knapping product currently is sharp rocks?

Yeah, I didn't get to the scrapers, chisels and daggers that we might end up having when we get to clothes-making.  I thought I would be able to squeeze in a little bit more back when I added it, but it ended up being just the lone thing, sadly.

Quote from: loose nut
Hmm, got it to crash as I was trying to select training ammo for my lone crossbowdwarf in the military screen. Was this a pre-existing bug? I vaguely remember having heard of it.

There have been crashes floating around that screen, but it's possible we've got a new one too.  Hopefully reproduction steps will find their way to the tracker over time.

Quote from: Syke
Anyone else have their macros run /really/ slowly?

I changed MACRO_MS from 15 to 150 in the init, as part of the fixes that Baughn did to some bug there, but I'm not actually sure what the number should be.  You could try changing it and see if it makes a difference.  If this is the right variable and there's a rough consensus for some default, we can set it to whatever.

Quote from: RabidRabbit
Changing SHOOT_MAXVEL from the crossbow entry from '1000' to '30' results in slightly more reasonable behavior.

30 is slower than a punch in the game, and 1000 is much faster (I think they are usually around 70 to 100?  I'd have to go check again), and I don't think it is getting reduced much below 1000 by the bolt weight, if at all, though the force parameter should do something there.  I'm not sure what an average punch speed is compared to a bolt speed in real life, but if we had sensible values there we could locate the other problems in the system more efficiently, since the velocity is one of the things that is easier to treat as an absolute starting point.

Quote from: yarr
Any news on .10 ? Will it still come "tonight"?

I'm almost done with it.  Mac compile is ongoing.  That usually takes about an hour.  The rest of them are ready, then I just need to upload/etc.  I probably shouldn't say it'll be up soon unless something weird happens, because last time I said that the forum got blasted.

Quote from: Miko19
So, what's next on your plans, Toady?

Sleeping myself will be an important part of it, but I'll probably write something up on the dev log about the next-next release.  I've got email catch-up and other B12 stuff to do that is piling up, so it might be pretty quiet for a few days, unless some of it continues to get put off.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Torham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 11, 2010, 04:02:22 am »

I have done some research on the net.
Average punch velocity = ~ 7.3 m/s.
Average Crossbow bolt velocity(modern crossbow) = ~ 34.1 m/s.

assuming these values are close to reality, crossbow bolt velocity should be around 4.6 times faster than punch.
I, for one, welcome our new Pony Overlords.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9