Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.09 Released  (Read 50689 times)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.09 Released
« Reply #120 on: July 11, 2010, 05:55:11 pm »

Spears have normaly a cutting edge in addition to being pointy ;) so cutting of/open things is relistic. it depnds thought how long the spearhead is.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 05:56:44 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 11, 2010, 06:32:48 pm »

Man, there is no sweeter sight than that of sixteen ogres waling on a bronze collosus with steel daggers and turning it into a big bronze statue of, um, a pixie.
Are you sure those were daggers, and not chisels? :)

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 11, 2010, 09:02:10 pm »

Spears have normaly a cutting edge in addition to being pointy ;) so cutting of/open things is relistic. it depnds thought how long the spearhead is.

Sure, but you don't swing a spear, you thrust with it, the cutting edge on a spear is small, if you swing, you're more likely to just bruise your oponent with the shaft.

You can put a big cutting edge on the shaft, thus making it more effective while swinging, but then you no longer have a spear - you have a glaive or a naginata.   

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 11, 2010, 09:10:26 pm »

Sure, but you don't swing a spear, you thrust with it, the cutting edge on a spear is small, if you swing, you're more likely to just bruise your oponent with the shaft.
Battle log states that severing happens on thrust hits (You stab ...), so swinging is not directly related.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 12, 2010, 01:44:41 am »

Dudes, we've already discussed this. Stabbing a hamster in the leg with a spear will probably cut its leg off, due to the relative size of said spear to the hamster's leg. So, at least that makes sense.

Severing a human head with a spear should also be possible, given repeated thrusts to the neck, or a single superdwarvenly strong thrust that snaps the spine and somehow separates all that sinew and muscle and shit.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 12, 2010, 02:25:42 am »

The issue wasn't a hamster stabbed in the leg though; there were larger creatures stabbed in, say, the upper/lower body.

Also, fully severing someone's head with a freaking spear would be a challenge indeed, considering how much connective tissue is holding it all together.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 12, 2010, 07:57:59 pm »

Yes, but people seem to be complaining about thrusting severs in general. I have yet to personally bisect something with a spear, but that's one of the possible issues people could be having. For example, the worst I've ever done to a wolf is spilling its guts out after one or two spear thrusts, which is plausible; other things I've severed are human hands (thrice) a few fingers, guts, ears, and so on. I haven't yet seen an implausible sever due to a spear attack. (Yet).
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]