Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: decorate with bone  (Read 5008 times)

Bartleby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
decorate with bone
« on: July 10, 2010, 08:23:33 pm »

My Bone Carver can do bone crafts, but when i order to "decorate with bone" i get
"cancels Decorate with Bone: Needs improvable item".
???
I got tons of undecorate furniture.
What do i do wrong ?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: decorate with bone
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 08:26:03 pm »

Can he path to the furniture? Is it forbidden?

Is anything in his shop forbidden?

Bartleby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 08:37:17 pm »

Can he path to the furniture? Is it forbidden?

Is anything in his shop forbidden?
Nothing is forbidden. He can encrust Furniture with shell quite well, and he can make bone crafts.
This looks like a bug.

Maybe its because its all Goblin Bones...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 08:43:27 pm by Bartleby »

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 08:44:18 pm »

I've noticed that only cloth goods get decorated with bone.  I'm not sure if this is a bug or not.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 08:58:11 pm »

Is the furniture built, or is it in a furniture stockpile?  You can only decorate furniture that hasn't been built/placed somewhere.  If it is in a stockpile, it's definitely a bug, you should be able to encrust furniture with bone.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Bartleby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 09:13:35 pm »

Of course the furniture is in stockpiles, i have around 300 pieces of all kind of furniture and finished goods.
I checked the items he decorated so far, and he made some with "horse hoof".
And its not only cause of Goblin bones, cause i have also some animal bones too.
It is a bug, he gets the bone in his workshop and then declares "need improvable item", even if he has a piece of furniture in his shop, that is undecorated from bone yet.

Bartleby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 09:55:48 pm »

Ok after some test I found out its Goblin Bones.
You cannot decorate with Goblin Bones, crafts are possible.
The Message "needs improvable item" is pretty misleading thou.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 09:56:27 pm »

does your civ have the ethic that allows them to use sentient creature bones as trophies?

Bartleby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 10:02:16 pm »

I was not aware of this.  I use the default settings, so MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT = NO and thats the reason i cannot decorate with goblin bones. Thank you for the hint.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 10:03:11 pm »

I was not aware of this.  I use the default settings, so MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT = NO and thats the reason i cannot decorate with goblin bones. Thank you for the hint.
That would be part of the problem. I don't think "NO" is an acceptable entry. You should put "UNACCEPTABLE" I believe.

ChickenLips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 11:44:41 pm »

Ahh, I have this reported as a bug (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=2540).  I'm going to try forbidding the goblin bones and see if that fixes it.

EDIT: Yep, maybe that's it.  I'm testing it, and it does seem they're getting hung up on goblin bones, but the testing is being complicated by the fact that all nearby pets are suddenly attacking the human caravan that's trading, and so beloved pets are being slaughtered by caravan guards left and right.

Oh, and the specific default setting is:

[ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT:SHUN]
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 03:28:00 am by ChickenLips »
Do not meddle in the affairs of chickens, for you are crunchy and taste like a good seedgrain.

(You are not a seedgrain?  Of course, you and I know that very well.  But does the chicken know it?)

ChickenLips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 03:43:12 am »

Interesting.  I forbade [almost] all goblin bone in the fortress, and bone decoration resumed.  I got some clothing and furniture decorated stylishly in hoary marmot and rhesus macaque bone, like they do in Paris.

So it would seem it may indeed be about the game handling this ethical bone-trophy thing weirdly.  But it isn't so clear-cut, because of that [almost] above.  One of my sets of goblin bone, which I missed, got used to decorate a casket.  So, unless caskets are treated differently from, say, doors or cabinets, it's some other variable at play, possibly something intermittent.
Do not meddle in the affairs of chickens, for you are crunchy and taste like a good seedgrain.

(You are not a seedgrain?  Of course, you and I know that very well.  But does the chicken know it?)

Bartleby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 12:58:56 pm »

Well i changed it to  [ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT:ACCEPTABLE]
but i still cannot decorate with goblin bones.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 01:04:48 pm »

Well i changed it to  [ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT:ACCEPTABLE]
but i still cannot decorate with goblin bones.
Did you regenerate the world after you made that change?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 01:19:44 pm »

Do you have goblin bones, or goblin skeletons?  Skeletons (or partial skeletons) need to be butchered into bones before they can be used for decoration, and to do that I think you need to make the ethics mods that let you butcher sentients.  They may eventually rot into bones on their own, but this seems to be very slow and unreliable in my experience.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: [1] 2