Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Kitchen Menu & Seed Shortages  (Read 2218 times)

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kitchen Menu & Seed Shortages
« on: July 10, 2010, 09:47:09 pm »

So far, I never allowed my kitchens to cook plants. Why? Because there's been several occasions on which I unintentionally cooked all my plants and then had no seeds left to plant next season! And that's scary! Because my fortresses tend to get big, and hungry, and without stable food supply except for the farms. But I want to make proper food for my dwarvies, not have them gnaw on plump helmets and berries all the time.

So: Is there a way of having automated cooking of plants, without the kitchens consuming all the plants? So some can be saved for seeds?
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
Re: Kitchen Menu & Seed Shortages
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 09:48:34 pm »

So far, I never allowed my kitchens to cook plants. Why? Because there's been several occasions on which I unintentionally cooked all my plants and then had no seeds left to plant next season! And that's scary! Because my fortresses tend to get big, and hungry, and without stable food supply except for the farms. But I want to make proper food for my dwarvies, not have them gnaw on plump helmets and berries all the time.

So: Is there a way of having automated cooking of plants, without the kitchens consuming all the plants? So some can be saved for seeds?
Forbid some of the plants. (The ones you want to save.)
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 09:57:59 pm »

I want all of them saved...in seeding quantities :(
Not just specific kinds, but some seeds of at least un-consumed specimen of each type of plant.

No workarounds for this one?
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Keolah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 10:00:30 pm »

Use types of plants that you can process before cooking?
There's no use crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of *cat tallow roast*.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 10:04:08 pm »

A million years ago there was discussion on these boards of a way to keep some number of seeds (or whatever else -- booze, for example) safe from cooking.  It would be nice.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 10:04:47 pm »

Quarry bush leaves, dwarven syrup/sugar, dwarven wheat flour, longland flour, whip vine flour, etc. are your friends.
or you could just go ahead and forbid the plants and compensate by seeding your caverns with serrated disc weapon traps. You'll get a pretty good amount of meat.

Or you can just gather plants in the caverns.

Generally my dwarves eat meat and all the plants get brewed.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 03:07:13 am »

I tend to do it in cycles.

I wait until I have a bunch of seeds for a plant, over 100 usually, sometimes even 200 (max).
Then I enable that plant for cooking and keep planting it.

Every season or so I recheck my food stocks, when the seeds are down to roughly the order of magnitude of how much of that crop I'm planting, I turn off cooking them until I'm well restocked with seeds.

I tend to rotate doing this, so I'm cooking one plant at any given time.

Mush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 04:39:48 am »

Have a book keeper? Good.

Status -> Stocks -> Seeds

Press Tab, Forbid all you want to save.

OR

Forbid them all, then Tab and unforbid the ones you want planted.

That's as easy as it can get, I'm afraid.

EDIT: ACTUALLY! There is another way, using burrows. You can have a burrow encompassing the kitchen with a small plant stockpile, beds, and food (I think you need all that?) Assign two or so cooks to it, and cook the small supply of plants in the stockpile.

EDIT2: I just realized you would only need a nice batch of "emergency" seeds you could have forbidden while you have cooking enabled. Haha...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 04:50:34 am by Mush »

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 05:13:41 am »

Christ on a tricycle...forbidding a small stockpile. Ingenious! But indulge me: How can I make sure all my 15 crops (have an aboveground farm) are represented in proper amounts? Making one stockpile per crop?

Mr.Elendig

• Bay Watcher
  • [TWISTED][INSANE][CANT_SPELL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 06:18:27 am »

Christ on a tricycle...forbidding a small stockpile. Ingenious! But indulge me: How can I make sure all my 15 crops (have an aboveground farm) are represented in proper amounts? Making one stockpile per crop?
Yes. You will probably only need one tile of each plant type, so it won't take up much space either.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 07:24:45 am »

I'm going to try this in mah nu 31.09...oh, wait, 31.10 fortress. Wagonloads of thanks, finally my dwarvies can stuff themselves properly  :D

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 03:40:06 pm »

>_> why not just brew until you have enough seeds to cover the plot. I have never run out of seeds before unless something drastic happened and I lost one of my starter crops.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 04:00:13 pm »

Because I prefer to automate things as far as possible. I'm usually far too giddy about my big projects to watch food supply and such. Can't multitask.

And because I *always* run out of barrels. Trees just don't grow fast enough to accommodate my monstrous industrialism!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 09:05:08 pm »

Because I prefer to automate things as far as possible. I'm usually far too giddy about my big projects to watch food supply and such. Can't multitask.

And because I *always* run out of barrels. Trees just don't grow fast enough to accommodate my monstrous industrialism!

What metal do you have the most of?

Is there anything you can alloy it with to increase yield?

If no, make barrels out of the metal. If yes, make fuckloads of the alloy and make barrels out of that. When I embark on volcanoes, all my stuff gets made of black bronze (native copper+galena+native gold) and I never have to worry about my wood supply.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 10:23:20 pm »

Hm. So far I never ever hit magma. It's my one failing I really have to work on. So it's usually fuel I'm running out of. Especially since making barrels takes up so much metal per piece :'(

Pages: [1] 2