Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Kitchen Menu & Seed Shortages

<< < (2/5) > >>

Urist Imiknorris:
Quarry bush leaves, dwarven syrup/sugar, dwarven wheat flour, longland flour, whip vine flour, etc. are your friends.
or you could just go ahead and forbid the plants and compensate by seeding your caverns with serrated disc weapon traps. You'll get a pretty good amount of meat.

Or you can just gather plants in the caverns.

Generally my dwarves eat meat and all the plants get brewed.

UmbrageOfSnow:
I tend to do it in cycles.

I wait until I have a bunch of seeds for a plant, over 100 usually, sometimes even 200 (max).
Then I enable that plant for cooking and keep planting it.

Every season or so I recheck my food stocks, when the seeds are down to roughly the order of magnitude of how much of that crop I'm planting, I turn off cooking them until I'm well restocked with seeds.

I tend to rotate doing this, so I'm cooking one plant at any given time.

Mush:
Have a book keeper? Good.

Status -> Stocks -> Seeds

Press Tab, Forbid all you want to save.

OR

Forbid them all, then Tab and unforbid the ones you want planted.

That's as easy as it can get, I'm afraid.

EDIT: ACTUALLY! There is another way, using burrows. You can have a burrow encompassing the kitchen with a small plant stockpile, beds, and food (I think you need all that?) Assign two or so cooks to it, and cook the small supply of plants in the stockpile.

EDIT2: I just realized you would only need a nice batch of "emergency" seeds you could have forbidden while you have cooking enabled. Haha...

Shrugging Khan:
Christ on a tricycle...forbidding a small stockpile. Ingenious! But indulge me: How can I make sure all my 15 crops (have an aboveground farm) are represented in proper amounts? Making one stockpile per crop?

Mr.Elendig:

--- Quote from: Shrugging Khan on July 11, 2010, 05:13:41 am ---Christ on a tricycle...forbidding a small stockpile. Ingenious! But indulge me: How can I make sure all my 15 crops (have an aboveground farm) are represented in proper amounts? Making one stockpile per crop?

--- End quote ---
Yes. You will probably only need one tile of each plant type, so it won't take up much space either.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version