Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.10 Released  (Read 78742 times)

marginoferror

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.10 Released
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2010, 09:03:42 am »

Hmm...so I have 2 Marksdwarf now and an Archery Range. Somehow they "spar" instead of practice shooting and one of them just became a Hammerdwarf (although he only has a Crossbow in his hand). What the hell? :D

This is less confusing if you know that default behavior for marksdwarves who run out of ammo or can't shoot is in fact to resort to using their crossbows as clubs, with the hammer skill.  So either your dwarves have no assigned ammo, or else more likely there's a bug keeping them from shooting so they're resorting to another kind of training.

steveman0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2010, 09:17:13 am »

Hmm...so I have 2 Marksdwarf now and an Archery Range. Somehow they "spar" instead of practice shooting and one of them just became a Hammerdwarf (although he only has a Crossbow in his hand). What the hell? :D

This is less confusing if you know that default behavior for marksdwarves who run out of ammo or can't shoot is in fact to resort to using their crossbows as clubs, with the hammer skill.  So either your dwarves have no assigned ammo, or else more likely there's a bug keeping them from shooting so they're resorting to another kind of training.

Or they don't have a quiver to hold the ammo they have assigned.  Even with ammo assigned they can't shoot without a quiver to carry their ammo around.

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2010, 09:23:53 am »

Yea but since you default embark with quivers now, they also have quivers :)

Crossbow+Quiver+Ammo+Archery Range = No Target practice...unfortunately :(

John Keel

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_AVATAR:ALWAYS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2010, 10:26:11 am »

Mac version still not working for me. The folder contains "df", a unix executable, "dwarfort", and exe, and README.linux, another unix executable. All of them ask what application to use to open them.
Open "df" with Terminal. It's under /Applications/Utilities if I remember right.
King of the Onslaught of Narwhals

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2010, 10:42:53 am »

Mac version still not working for me. The folder contains "df", a unix executable, "dwarfort", and exe, and README.linux, another unix executable. All of them ask what application to use to open them.

Easiest way: Open Terminal under Applications>Utilities Type:
Code: [Select]
cd desktop (or cd into whatever non-default place you put the df_osx folder)
cd df_osx
sh df

There are many other options:

If the df_osx folder is on your desktop, you need to type either
~/Desktop/df_osx/df or
cd ~/Desktop/df_osx/
./df
Substitute the path to wherever you put DF as necessary.
If you've put it in, for instance, your Applications folder, it'll be
/Applications/df_osx/df

Terminal doesn't seem to want to let you drag it onto the application itself or pick it from the "open" window.
You need to select "Enable: All Applications" in the select application box (control-click/right click -> Open With -> Other...) and you'll be fine for the rest of your computer's lifespan.

If you feel like being moderately clever, you can also rename the dwarf fortress folder to "MacOS", put it inside a folder named "Contents", and put that inside a folder named "df.app". Then it'll run when you double-click that folder (which will take on a generic application icon).

If you want it clickable without a bunch of weirdly named folders, clever as that is, you could always make an applescript.  It would look a little something like this:
do shell script "/Users/umbrageofsnow/Desktop/df/mods/genesis/genesis_31_08_ascii/df"
Or substitute whatever shorter location your chosen df file is in.

But you can put the script in your sidebar or on the desktop or wherever without having to have the actual df folder there.  Good for OCD filing of different versions.

Oh, save your script as an app by the way.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 12:43:19 pm by UmbrageOfSnow »

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2010, 10:43:21 am »

Sweet.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

moosecow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2010, 10:44:29 am »

Edit: Well, they're doing Individual Combat Training right now. I'm hoping they'll start shooting at the range soon afterwards.

weird, all my crossbow dwarfs are actually archery training and firing bolts at my archery range, of course the entire time causing a flood of equipment cancels for each bolt fired.. still they are firing at least  :o

Rkui

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2010, 11:25:46 am »

Just in time, i have that human caravan few step from my entrance and i was wondering if i will have human siege in the future too, after i made that elven masacre with the last caravan... You just saved a lot of trouble to my dwarfs!!!

And the elves i think i'll ive with it, its too late now, next time they should choose a non buggy version when coming :D

edit, ye i quickly tested my crossbow squad and it work great on goblin at least, they run a lot to the equipement depot but whatever i shall put it closer to the execution room now. Poor goblins.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 11:32:43 am by Rkui »

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2010, 11:29:11 am »

Posting to keep track of the thread.. I should probably do something about the mac situation already.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2010, 11:32:53 am »

Posting to keep track of the thread..

cartmann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2010, 11:34:43 am »

What is the 'Knapper' skill for?

Can't wait to travel forever killing and butchering my food enemies!

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2010, 11:35:26 am »

What is the 'Knapper' skill for?

Bashing 2 rocks together to make one of them sharp. I think.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

cartmann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2010, 11:37:32 am »

Yeah, just realised, thanks

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2010, 11:45:45 am »

Posting to keep track of the thread.. I should probably do something about the mac situation already.

Aww, but we've got so many ways around it, and I've got so good with copy and paste  :'( :'( :'(

John Keel

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_AVATAR:ALWAYS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2010, 11:58:45 am »

You can also drag the df file onto an open terminal window. Terminal doesn't seem to want to let you drag it onto the application itself or pick it from the "open" window.
This is wrong. You need to select "Enable: All Applications" in the select application box (control-click/right click -> Open With -> Other...) and you'll be fine for the rest of your computer's lifespan.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 12:00:50 pm by John Keel »
King of the Onslaught of Narwhals
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17