Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.10 Released  (Read 78846 times)

Vertibird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.10 Released
« Reply #90 on: July 12, 2010, 12:23:32 am »

so crossbow dwarves are now leading and watching demonstrations, thus levelling their marksman skill. Nice.
Still no archery practice though, but i guess that is good as no bolts are lost.

Rebirthocool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 12, 2010, 12:27:32 am »

a giant cave spider rushes my wagon really early, somehow one of my dwarrows managed to "bruise its brain" with a punch to the cephalothorax.

:D

Also: getting a lot of stockpile cancellations. seems to be affecting performance too
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 03:37:50 am by Rebirthocool »

Blackworth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 12, 2010, 12:46:39 am »

Keep em up! DF must become the ultimate game

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 12, 2010, 12:53:22 am »

(*)fixed problem where your units would not recognize the nice people arriving on business as their friends

I am tempted to download the last version just to try this :evil:

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 12, 2010, 01:42:57 am »

(*)fixed problem where your units would not recognize the nice people arriving on business as their friends

I am tempted to download the last version just to try this :fun:
fixed
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

Torham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 12, 2010, 01:51:42 am »

First of all let me thank Toady the WorldShaper for excellent release.

I have observed something weird. I was pumping through aquifer, and when i was building the inner wooden wall, you know how they cancel the construction all the time when it gets =>2/7 water. Well in the end they managed to finish all the construction, and the wall was watertight, and then the weird things started to happen. For some reason all the wall was still showing as suspended, partially constructed, and when i resumed it, dwarf just came and build a random sqare of wall witch i didnt design. if i ordered deconstruct, the wall produced a log. this was happening for some time and i got about 10 extra wood out of thin air. In the end i saved and reloaded the game and then all went back to OK, the wall was fully constructed and no more random building was occuring. Im not entirely sure what was i seeing so when you guys next time pump through aquifer/build a construction witch is interrupted a lot, keep an eye on something unusual.
I, for one, welcome our new Pony Overlords.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2010, 03:11:39 am »

Made an adventurer. Made a flint. Made a dragon die. Made 100 slabs of meat. Made a profit. Win.

Varjo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 12, 2010, 05:18:12 am »

I don't think crossbow bolts punching through armour really easily is actually particularly unrealistic- I think that's actually what arrows and bolts do. Whether it's good from a game-balance perspective is another question entirely.
No. Two times. It IS unrealistic and it IS bad for game-balance unquestionably. Additionally, it is undwarfish. Feel free to disagree with my opinion, though.
I personnally agree with zagibu. if bolt/arrow could pierce plate armor so easily , i doubt the firearms would have been developped. Chainmail sure, plate is a big no.

Dunno how it would affect the game but Heavy crossbow bolt _could_ penetrate full armored soldier on medieval battles (and if i remember right it could penetrate 2-3 soldiers if shooted close range)... It was superb weapon at time BUT to fire again they needed minute to reload - lots of slower than a long bow. Early smaller firearms could not penetrate armor and were very unaccurate but they were fancy new weapons for richer people :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossbow#Medieval_Europe
Heavy crossbow: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbalest

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 12, 2010, 06:15:26 am »

I just got my Marksdwarves to train by using the overlapping method :].

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=57660.msg1266683#msg1266683
That method still works:

The save of this experimental fort (built solely to test this feature). Checklist to get this to work (not all of it may be needed, but this makes sure it works):

- Did you specifically disallow shields? Crossbows are 2h weapons and they can't shoot with a shield.
- Did you specifically assign the squad ammo and did you check it was assigned? Assigned ammo shows up in the ammunition section in the military screen.
- Did you switch on Training and Squad Equipment for all 4 buildings that define the overlapping barracks? Armour rack, weapon rack, coffer and archery target?
- Do you have quivers?
- Have you specificallly NOT stockpiled your ammo? Especially NOT binning them?
- Is your archery target orientated the right way?
- Do you have ample spares of crossbows and bolts in case you also have hunters that compete for those resources (unless you specifically assign them different material bolts)?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 12, 2010, 06:19:15 am »

I don't think crossbow bolts punching through armour really easily is actually particularly unrealistic- I think that's actually what arrows and bolts do. Whether it's good from a game-balance perspective is another question entirely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3997HZuWjk

A well made armor could stop 'em. The mounted armored knights raped the enemy archer lines in that battle he's talking about. There's one test at the start and one at the very end.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 06:22:12 am by Orkel »
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Varjo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 12, 2010, 07:31:23 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3997HZuWjk

A well made armor could stop 'em. The mounted armored knights raped the enemy archer lines in that battle he's talking about. There's one test at the start and one at the very end.

Thanks, nice vid but thats a long bow - not a heavy crossbow which is a different weapon.

"""The Medieval Crossbow could be used by an untrained soldier to injure or kill a knight in plate armor. The crossbow was therefore viewed as an inhuman weapon which required no skill and had no honor. It was even banned by the Pope."""

http://www.medieval-life-and-times.info/medieval-weapons/crossbow.htm

izraqthedark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 12, 2010, 09:04:41 am »

I was playing the SDL version for windows and once again my shift key for capital letters cuts out again after 5 minutes of gameplay which I suppose isn't bad since I wasn't pulling levers or setting up traps/walls/machinery.  My game also crashed for the 3rd time and I don't know what to consider it as a bug, blame it on my laptop, blame windows 7. Any thoughts on what the problem could be? I am off to play the legacy version and see if the same thing happens and then I will report back.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #102 on: July 12, 2010, 09:35:49 am »

Shortly after importing my save into 31.10 the atomsmasher array water drain in my lower machine hall stopped working, resulting in the lower machine hall being completely flooded with water.  This is probably completely unrelated to the version change and is more likely due to a flaw in the design of the lower machine hall.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #103 on: July 12, 2010, 11:13:37 am »

"By the time of the Hundred Years War between England and France (1337-1453), even the advantages of a mounted knight disappeared, as English longbowmen massacred heavily-armored chevaliers.  Bows had traditionally not been able to penetrate plate armor, but English longbows were much more powerful than earlier bow technologies, and advances in crossbows were also telling the tale in plate-armored corpses.  Once firearms showed up on the battlefield, there was no longer a point in even pretending the armor was useful." (http://www.dailykos.com/story/2009/9/14/2646/36615)

I guess all elven bows and dwarven crossbows should mostly ignore armor. Goblins could have a lower tech level, and use weaker goblin crossbows. Should goblins have the exact same tech level as the dwrves.

(Would a goblin have the patience to train 15 years for high-strength-requirement bow?)
Sucks about the projectile fire rate not being moddable.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 11:16:06 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 12, 2010, 11:18:02 am »

I guess all elven bows and dwarven crossbows should mostly ignore armor. Goblins could have a lower tech level, and use weaker goblin crossbows. Sucks about the projectile fire rate not being moddable.

Yeah, that firing rate is the key to simming this properly. I can't imagine that would be so difficult to impliment in the near future. Firing rate is a huge factor in range combat.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17