Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Uncronically freezing water?  (Read 1329 times)

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
Uncronically freezing water?
« on: July 11, 2010, 06:28:25 am »

So on my map, as I have said before, part of the water freezes in winter (the left side of the map, aside from a tiny bit near the waterfall and the waterfall itself, even though there's a sheet of ice separating them). However, mid-winter, the rest of the water freezes, and I can only assume that in late winter, the part unfrozen in early winter will thaw, and in spring, so will the rest. Is this normal? And is it an effect of multiple biomes?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: Uncronically freezing water?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 07:02:18 am »

I don't fully comprehend this question. I can only decipher that you're wondering about the whole freezing mechanics.

So it's actually quite normal for parts of the map to suddenly freeze, especially water.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 07:06:31 am »

My map is partly frozen in Moonstone, and fully frozen in Opal, and I assume partly thaws in Obsidian before fully in Granite. Is this because of diverse biomes?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 07:57:16 am »

Well freezing is goverent by temperatures which are governt by biomes. That means that this might be what is causing it. Alternatifly it might just be that something else is effectling the temperatures like large fires or moving magma.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 08:45:20 am »

This is on the surface, where there is no magma.

Yet.

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 10:00:23 am »

I think I understand the question, and, yes, this is the effect of multiple biomes.  I guess you're on the edge of a harder-frost zone, so you've got one-month freezers and three-month freezers.  But they should thaw like you'd expect.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 10:02:48 am »

So am I dealing with temperate and warm, or cold and temperate?

Ralp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://ralp.net/
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 10:24:11 am »

This is on the surface, where there is no magma.

Yet.

Check out this thread before you rig up an elaborate brook-warming system.  (basically: it probably won't work.) http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=61037.0

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 10:26:33 am »

Ok then...

What if I applied it directly to the forehead brook?

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 10:41:56 am »

if it did melt, it wouldn't be water anymore.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 10:46:58 am »

Yeah it would. Ice and steam are still forms of water.

However, I probably couldn't use it.

Eh. I'll just dig a cistern. I can use my indoor moat until something dies in it.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 10:51:59 am »

no, if you applyed magma directly to ice and the ice melted, it would be obsidian, wouldn't it?
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 11:16:16 am »

Even within a biome, it's normal for only parts of the map to freeze/melt at a time.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 11:35:07 am »

no, if you applyed magma directly to ice and the ice melted, it would be obsidian, wouldn't it?

The water vapor would still be around  :P

win32anon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 12:11:23 pm »

Related to the topic, but now directly...
How do I get steam?Is there kinds of steam(vapor, moderate hot, super hot)? Is steam like Mist that gives dwarfs happy thoughts(how about a waterfall-statue-sauna-room?)? Can I use steam to make a place warmer?

IIIIIIIII
XXXXXXXXX
MMMMMMMMM
XXXXXXXXX
IIIIIIIII

If I do this, will the Ice melt into water, turn into obsidian, turn in vapor or none?
Pages: [1] 2