Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: 31.10 weapons  (Read 23973 times)

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
Re: 31.10 weapons
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2010, 08:40:05 am »

("The format is ATTACK:EDGE/BLUNT:contact area:penetration size:verb2nd:verb3rd:noun:velocity multiplier
Penetration size currently only matters for edged attacks.")

So vanilla Whip has [ATTACK:BLUNT:1:10:lash:lashes:NO_SUB:5000].
laser-like tiny contact area? One could try setting the 1 to 6.

hammer [ATTACK:BLUNT:10:200:bash:bashes:NO_SUB:2000]
mace [ATTACK:BLUNT:20:200:bash:bashes:NO_SUB:2000]
flail [ATTACK:BLUNT:200:4000:bash:bashes:NO_SUB:2500]
short sword slap [ATTACK:BLUNT:20000:4000:slap:slaps:flat:1250]

Scourge has [ATTACK:EDGE:10:50:lash:lashes:NO_SUB:2000], it's like
spear's [ATTACK:EDGE:20:10000:stab:stabs:NO_SUB:1000]. But sharper!
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2010, 03:16:13 pm »

Seems like DF-vanilia lashes are made from thin carbon nanotubes! No wonder they are so deadly - they cut through anything.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2010, 09:30:27 pm »

Sounds like the game physics is having trouble with flexible weapons. If you're hit by a whip and a warhammer that both weigh the same amount, guess which will hurt more? There's a reason that, as far as I know, whips were never actually used in combat and if they were, it wasn't widespread. A whip's flexibility, while it makes it hard to block and capable of striking around defenses, also makes it very hard to strike without losing a lot of the force.

I think the easiest way to neuter them right now is to up the size of the strike zone, maybe to simulate a flat strike instead of a precise one. Honestly, though, I don't really understand why Toady added them to the game in the first place, they seem out of place in the 14th century european fantasy he focuses on as the basis of the game.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2010, 09:08:51 am »

...whips were never actually used in combat and if they were, it wasn't widespread
Not for 14th century Europe, no.

However, predecessors of the nasty South African sjambok are recorded in India and Indonesia in the 17th century and surely existed before then.  Then there's the very dangerous buntot pagi of the Philippines, which is made from the tail of a stingray and retains the venom - the longer it is (and therefore the larger and more dangerous the ray it came from) the more prized it is - the Filipino Royal Collection has a six-footer, typical combat-ready ones are 4.5 feet.  I'd love to see one of these modded into the game, with the venom effects.

And of course, the good ol' U S of A invented the blacksnake, which is a normal bullwhip, but with a handle that is a disguised blackjack.  Doesn't use the same skillset of course.

One thing on whip combat - almost everywhere where combat whips have been used, the wielder has a knife in the other hand to deal with an opponent who breaches the striking zone.  Until more realistic hand-to-hand striking zones are modelled, and until multi-wielding is in, simulating whip combat will be quite unrealistic anyway.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2010, 09:43:49 am »

Sounds like the game physics is having trouble with flexible weapons. If you're hit by a whip and a warhammer that both weigh the same amount, guess which will hurt more? There's a reason that, as far as I know, whips were never actually used in combat and if they were, it wasn't widespread. A whip's flexibility, while it makes it hard to block and capable of striking around defenses, also makes it very hard to strike without losing a lot of the force.

Sounds like being hit by a whip in the current version is more like being hit by a hammer-on-a-rope.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2010, 09:45:57 am »

Which sounds relatively scary, actually. Imagine getting hit by a hammer toss.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2010, 12:10:15 pm »

Dwarves with lasers. This make me wonder what would happen if I changed crossbow bolts a little...
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2010, 12:17:18 pm »

Sounds like being hit by a whip in the current version is more like being hit by a hammer-on-a-rope.

Not quite, because it isn't ropelike at all. It's more like being hit by a really tiny, really fast hammer with miniscule contact area.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2010, 12:24:23 pm »

Dwarves with lasers. This make me wonder what would happen if I changed crossbow bolts a little...
Like this?

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2010, 08:19:05 am »

Close, but not quite! Since my lahzars wouldn't help accuracy at all.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2010, 08:59:55 am »

I am more happy with the combat now, but there are still work to do to balance the weapons and materials.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2010, 09:10:36 am »

Toady apparently has rebalanced combat for the next release, on the 22nd or the 23rd.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

SeanTucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2010, 06:14:52 pm »

Whips being overpowered makes me think that Toady's a Castlevania fan.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2010, 08:31:30 am »

Puns appart i'm trying to mod the whip to make them less of an instakill. What parameter should i work on ? I'll admit i don't know much on the subject

The whip is super, because it's blunt force in a super small area:

("The format is ATTACK:EDGE/BLUNT:contact area:penetration size:verb2nd:verb3rd:noun:velocity multiplier
Penetration size currently only matters for edged attacks.")

hammer [ATTACK:BLUNT:10:200:bash:bashes:NO_SUB:2000]
mace [ATTACK:BLUNT:20:200:bash:bashes:NO_SUB:2000]
flail [ATTACK:BLUNT:200:4000:bash:bashes:NO_SUB:2500]
short sword slap [ATTACK:BLUNT:20000:4000:slap:slaps:flat:1250]

Scourge has [ATTACK:EDGE:10:50:lash:lashes:NO_SUB:2000], it's like
spear's [ATTACK:EDGE:20:10000:stab:stabs:NO_SUB:1000]. But sharper!
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2010, 09:24:37 am »

A swift test indicates that adamantium short swords kick iron armor's ass. Also, my adamantium armor is resistant to war hammers.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]