Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Taming.. glitch?  (Read 1198 times)

pulsusego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Taming.. glitch?
« on: July 11, 2010, 12:32:21 pm »

I have read many times that to tame an animal (in my case, a wild fox.) you have to build a cage, put the fox in said cage, and then go to a kennel and press m (tame large animal). then you go over to the fox, and select it. then your animal tamer's supposed to automagically do it with some meat.

i did it, with a newly butchered mule as a meat source. when i went over to the fox's cage after pressing the button at the kennel, it acted as if selecting a new building, not working as a kennel. the black menu just went to the different building, and when i tried to go back to the kennel and re-issue the order, it didnt work again. am i doing something wrong or is the game? is the fox even tamable? i can't find a good list of tamable animalst o find out. i'd think it would be..

and another quick question, how do you make tallow? wiki says it's at the kitchen, when you have fat (mule, again) at the ready. i went to it and the only options there are the three meal options. i don't get it.
I got a high master!!!.... animal caretaker... ****.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taming.. glitch?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 12:35:55 pm »

Foxes have [PET_EXOTIC] so you need a dungeon master to tame them.

KrazyDocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 12:41:22 pm »

And as for the tallow... I think the default setting is for the kitchen to automatically "render fat" (I think that's what it's called) when the fat becomes available, which is pretty much right after the butchering.

KD

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 12:43:27 pm »

How are foxes exotic?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

pulsusego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 12:44:45 pm »

thanks very much, i'm now off to mess with the file format n stuff. hopefully not causing fun for my game save.
same with the tallow, thanks. now my doctors can have a proper workstation :)

and @double a, i have no clue. it kinda sucks though :P

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 12:45:21 pm »

How many people do you know who have foxes as a pet? You can change this by removing the '_EXOTIC' from the raws (if you want it to take effect in a game already generated you need to edit the save's raws).

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 01:03:38 pm »

Yeah, anything you want to tame, add [PET] to their tags in the raws.  If they are [PET_EXOTIC], change that to [PET].

If you want war foxes or hunting foxes, add [TRAINABLE] as well.

Make sure you change the raws in the df>data>save>WhateverTheRegionIsNamed>raws>objects folder, not the ones in df>raws.

I just do a find and replace of all [PET_EXOTIC] to [PET] anyway.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 01:16:54 pm by UmbrageOfSnow »

pulsusego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 01:15:56 pm »

omajebus! i actualy managed to do the raw thing myself :3 i feel so smart for getting it right (probobaly more accidentaly than anything.) still, thanks for reasurance. and as far as i know a war fox would suck. that's what i have 15~ puppies for. just a waitin game now...

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 01:18:08 pm »

A war fox would kind of suck.  A war Hippo on the other hand...

pulsusego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 01:20:57 pm »

or a war elephant. let's try to make this a good version of boatmurdered... haha

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 01:51:28 pm »

How many people do you know who have foxes as a pet? You can change this by removing the '_EXOTIC' from the raws (if you want it to take effect in a game already generated you need to edit the save's raws).

They shouldn't be that hard to tame, compared to other feral animals.

And since foxes are "exotic," does that make elephants, hippos, etc exotic too? What isn't exotic, cause I heard there was a bug with the Dungeon Master, and don't want to hang onto anything I can't tame.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 01:53:26 pm »

Anything that isn't a "normal" pet is exotic.  Normal includes Horses, mules, cats, dogs, a decent amount of animals, but most things are exotic.

And the dungeon master thing isn't a big deal.  Just mod the raws as above.  Tame whatever the hell you want.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 01:56:17 pm »

I suck at modding.

I also get the feeling like I've seen that post before. Freaking déjà vus.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 02:32:00 pm »

Well it is a decently common question.

Seriously though, open the raws for your save game folder.  Open whichever text file corresponds to the animal you want tamed. (Hint, they are labeled by biome.  The search feature is great here).  Replace one bracketed word with another one.  Nothing to it.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 02:39:55 pm »

That's all there is to it? Wow. I can do that. Hell, my mom could do that. With instructions. Maybe.