Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weather  (Read 337 times)

dav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weather
« on: September 15, 2006, 11:02:00 am »

There's some mention of weather in the development, but not so much a clear impact on daily dwarf life.  I'd like to see a much clearer relation between the weather patterns and dwarf behavior.

For example, if you live in a freezing climate, going outside without a coat/cloak could mean more unhappiness than just being caught in the snow.  Shirtsleeves is not appropriate glacier-wear, and can kill.  Now, my dwarves won't pick up cloaks/coats, even when it's mid-winter in a freezing climate and it's snowing.  

In addition, you burn more energy in such climates, so dwarves would eat more.  (It would be nice to moderate this the deeper into the mountain you go - perhaps cave adapted dwarves would suffer the eating penalty?)

Dwarves in hot climates drink more, and should prefer plant fiber to say, leather.  

When disasters get put in, those would also affect dwarf choices.  Clearly, the options are more vast for human settlements, but it would be nice if the biome affected more than whether elephants will rampage through your fortress or not.

JimBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weather
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 11:21:00 am »

Isn't food currently consumed faster during winter anyway?  Or is that an illusion brought on by the lack of farming and, usually, fishing?

But regardless, good stuff.

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weather
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 02:23:00 pm »

you'll have to make the buggers wear cloaks/coats in the 1st place as normal clothes.. never seen them do it as yet unless they are soldiers or hunters (economy hasn't kicked in yet!)

mind you.. they are wearing out their pants/etc..

should i sell the worn clothes (assuming i can).. or do i have to junk them via the chasm? (haven't even reached that yet.. unless you count waterfalls i suppose.. no idea if you can junk stuff there)

[ September 15, 2006: Message edited by: bbb ]