Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

1st Round of Babies!  Who gets trained for WAR? Loser gets butchered and fed to the giraffes.

Two Male Turkeys
Two Female Yaks
Female Sugar Beetle
Twin Ferrets, freakishly huge and muscular (for ferrets)
Llama and Alpaca
3 Iguanas
Giant Beetle

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [31.09] BeastDefects the Desert of Inconvenience Community Fortress  (Read 6027 times)

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi Everybody!

So last night I downloaded .09 and messed around with a fortress before .10 was up.  I actually thought the animals hostility bug was hilarious.  So I'm going to do a story/community game to take advantage of it.

I'm using MixMod 31.09 v0.4 for variety of pets.  There are hundreds of extra creatures here.  I've gone through the raws and replaced every [PET_EXOTIC] with [PET].  I'm going to add [TRAINABLE] to animals whenever I feel like it, if I think for a moment it might be funny to have War Zebras, I'll make the change.  You know what? I just did that.

There are 49 civilizations in the world right now.  I'll be at peace with or hostile toward with a random but large number of each depending on the civilization you choose for me.  Since I genned the world after making everything [PET]s, traders should bring all sorts of random animals in cages.  I'm going to buy them all.

I hereby pledge to never have a military.  I shall have a few Animal Trainers, surrounded by pets, who have perhaps studied wrestling and might wear leather armor (from butchered pets of course).  They will be in the military for stationing purposes, but the fighting will be done almost entirely by our furry friends.

I will attempt to keep a breeding pair of each animal locked up (not caged, just chained), so that I can always repopulate.  Maybe I'll nickname the head beastmaster Noah, who knows.

If I can dig, caverns will eventually be breached, I need to get more animals.

Cage traps will be the only non-animal defense.  Non-pets captured in cages will get to fight the war zebras of course.

I shall embark with a breeding pair of every animal the game allows me to.  If this means no skills and no items, so be it.  I'll bring at least a digging implement and an axe though.

With so many caravans coming and going, and so many potential sieges, it is going to be unlikely I don't wipe out a few caravans while slowly chewing siegers to death.  C'est la vie.

The embark will be a 2x2, since this will be an FPS nightmare, but I'm going to look around for one with 4 different biomes.  I genned a giant region, there is a lot of space.  I will maximize how many civilizations can reach the site.  But I'm open to specific biome suggestions.  Also, vote for what race I should be!  I'm indecisive.

Good idea?  Terrible Idea? Best of both?

Also, I'll dwarf/wizard/robot/kobold/drow/minotaur/otherdwarfthingy/vault_dweller anyone who wants it.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 01:31:42 am by UmbrageOfSnow »

Emong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [31.09] The Case of Pets v. Caravans Community Fortress
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 08:40:59 pm »

I approve of this idea and would like to be [insertrace]'d

[EDIT:] Preferably as a sword[race]
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 08:58:47 pm by Emong »

Aglathan

• Bay Watcher
  • In brightest day, in blackest night.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 08:42:17 pm »

"Horrible Mistake" looking for job sir, if you need a booker a miner or a mason my hands are always ready
 (also, I am a kobold fugitive, don't matter wich civ we play, i just use a fake mustache)

(great ideia a Mixmod comunity fortress I dont know why we dont have more of those)
(also, the world gen actually gave you all these civs? in mine none of those survived)

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 09:23:02 pm »

I say minotaurs, for their animal-like qualities, or wizards, for their magical control animals.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 12:03:59 am »

Well after much searching, I've given up on the dream of having 4 regions in a 2x2.  I still think the size is important, so I'll settle for 3.  I looked around and tried to find regions that will increase diversity of the critters.  We are embarking on:

The Hill of Yor: Untamed Tropical Shrubland
The Vigorous Jungle: Untamed Tropical Moist Broadleaf Forest
The Misty Dune: Untamed Badlands x2

I looked around for places where I could get an extra region in a 2x3 or something, but when it came down to it, I decided Savagery was more important than 1 more biome.

Aglathan

• Bay Watcher
  • In brightest day, in blackest night.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 12:32:47 am »

tropical forest if dwarves
badlands if robots (no need for water or food) (but if we go as robots, we should try to make things a living hell (bunch of militaries and kill everything)(rise of the machines fortress?) (choose one civ to be our ally? our creators?), since we dont need to worry about food or booze)

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 01:16:09 am »

Uhh, dude, those are what we have. 48x48 squares of The Hill of Yor: Untamed Tropical Shrubland and The Vigorous Jungle: Untamed Tropical Moist Broadleaf Forest, 48x96 of The Misty Dune: Untamed Badlands. Again, wizards, for being epic at survival. Or may be not.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 01:19:48 am »

We, the Automatons of The Wheel of Heather have formed a group called Dustmachines of Jungles.  (It's like I hit random a million times until something seemed appropriate...).  We are completely unskilled 2 copper and 5 brass automatons, with our beloved pet turkeys, boars, rabbits, ferrets, giant beetles, sugar beetles, iguanas, llamas, alpacas, yaks, and mutant centaurs.

Here, at the intersection of the badlands, the jungle, and the shrublands we shall found Beastdefect the Desert of Inconvenience.  Now let's secure the beasts, ere the giant jaguars get hungry.  We shall then trap said giant jaguars and add them to our menagerie.  Strike the earth!

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 01:30:10 am »

It's totally flat, and no animals yet:

So how should I lay this thing out?
Going to have to dig straight down, I'm thinking some cages.

Throw out anything while I rename the robots and give them jobs and whatnot.

Well, guess its straight down the middle then.

And before I forget, I made a list of who hates us:  It seems our civilization has been pretty friendly
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 01:55:50 am by UmbrageOfSnow »

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [31.09] BeastDefects the Desert of Inconvenience Community Fortress
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 01:44:21 am »

And I'm the only one with any skills, mwahahahaha.  (I have 1 level in appraiser, and 1 in judge intent so we can actually trade without guessing).

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 02:08:50 am »

Bah! Who said you could autonomdison.... thing me? I say re embark, until we get a better batch of things. 2 common, and 5 slightly-less common. Lame.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 03:37:38 am »

Holy Shit!

MixMod has just thrown us our first herd of curveballs!  I'm too tired to deal with this shit tonight.  Going to sleep.  Hope it's a nightmare.  Will attempt to get some cage traps built and catch them tomorrow.

It's only 3rd of Slate and I already have GODDAMN FLYING ELEPHANTS and the first cavern (layer 6)!

Here is the cavern by the way:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Waterlevel is z-10 from surface, first open layer is at z-6.  Those openings go allllll the way up.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 03:52:16 am »

Oh awesome. Do want a robot. Name it... Uh... THX-1138. (I'll be impressed if someone gets that reference.)
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

TALLPANZER

• Bay Watcher
  • entity_TALLPANZER.txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 04:50:06 am »

It you are ever not at your post, I will kick your shiny metal ass!
Bot me, I want to make barding, because nothing is cooler then armored bears!
"So while a handful of psychopaths in lab coats are turning Japan into a land of mythological beasties to bang, the USSA's drowning in stupidity, China doesn't exist anymore, and Canada's just sitting there waiting for all this shit to blow over so they can go back to being Canada. Oh, and South Korea think they're Zerg now." <-Slag explains fallout in a nutshell

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 05:21:08 am »

auto me

doom potato

animal trainer plz
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.
Pages: [1] 2