Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is your most desired suggestion out of the collected top 10?

show levers / name levers / blink connected
- 35 (6.4%)
excavate - mine without stone production
- 32 (5.9%)
stop dwarven entrance dance when ordered inside
- 73 (13.4%)
forbidden area designation
- 20 (3.7%)
more raw files
- 50 (9.2%)
job priorities
- 55 (10.1%)
combine stacks / better stack handling
- 65 (11.9%)
more underground diversity
- 93 (17%)
improved sieges
- 48 (8.8%)
framerate improvements
- 75 (13.7%)

Total Members Voted: 545

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15

Author Topic: Top 10 suggestions  (Read 39193 times)

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Top 10 suggestions
« Reply #150 on: August 04, 2008, 04:46:25 pm »

metals could be slightly more unique,(many metals are just better versions of lower or higher grade metals)
copper-iron-bronze-steel cycle
copper-silver-gold-platinum cycle

like some sort of gold leaf? or tin-lead solder for better windows

Atanamis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 04, 2008, 06:55:44 pm »

Othob, the forum software allows multiple votes per user and vote changing. A future top ten should allow ten votes per user with changeable votes. That way, every user can vote for the ten features they most want and change their votes as new ideas are submitted. Each idea should indeed be its own thread, with discussion and expansion of that idea. Even things like the entrance dance had chatter in this thread, which would more effectively take place in a dedicated thread. Any idea that receives too votes over the course of a designated period of time could be dropped, or perhaps an idea could need a specific number of votes in its own thread before being added to the master poll. Maintaining a listing though of all "popular" suggestions would be a nice resource though.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 05, 2008, 02:49:13 am »

As soon as I have some free time, I'm going to look into the simplemachines forum extensions. It might be possible to code a poll where everyone can either give his vote(s) for an existing suggestion, or make a new suggestion, complete with accompanying discussion thread.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 01:11:53 pm by zagibu »
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

ToxicFrog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 05, 2008, 10:23:19 am »

Of these ten: priorities. If I had a kitten for every time disaster befell the fortress because you can't create high-priority jobs, I'd have a lot less trouble keeping my dwarves fed.

However, my number-one needs-changing request is the interface, and indeed I'm surprised that that didn't make it into the top ten, considering how often interface issues are discussed here:
- tiny field of view (80x25 less menu and border space) means you can see only a tiny slice of the world, and bizarre aspect ratio results in lots of wasted screen space
- different screens use the same button for different things, or different buttons for the same thing (eg, cancel is space on some screens and F9 on others)
- laying out large constructions is basically impossible even with the recent improvements, especially given how stupid dwarves are about build positioning
- managing work preferences and similar is an exercise in liquid pain

Some of these - the first two in particular - should even be fixable in under an hour unless the DF codebase is much more screwed up than expected. And yet, nothing happens; people who would otherwise enjoy DF avoid it, people who do enjoy DF do so in spite of the interface, rather than because of it, and Toady is so deeply paranoid about anything that even implies the words "source code" that no-one else can fix it, either. :(

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 05, 2008, 10:52:11 am »

The first is in fact already finished, according to the dev log.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

ToxicFrog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 05, 2008, 01:58:44 pm »

YES! Finally! Thank you, Toady, and thank you Align for pointing that out!
+kitten tallow biscuits+ for everyone!

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 06, 2008, 04:04:12 am »

Praise the Toad :)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 13, 2008, 09:37:10 am »

Are we going to have to re-do the poll, because he is working on underground diversity?

Edit:  I nominate everything in this thread:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=4827.0
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 09:41:54 am by Puzzlemaker »
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 13, 2008, 02:37:08 pm »

First, just to go through what we have and what is still needed.

Done, in production, or at least there's a work around:
*show levers / name levers / blink connected
*more underground diversity
framerate improvements (partial: he fixed some problems with larger screen sizes, which does effect the default size, if marginally)

Still needed
*excavate - mine without stone production
*stop dwarven entrance dance when ordered inside
*forbidden area designation
*more raw files
*job priorities
*combine stacks / better stack handling
*improved sieges
*framerate improvements

I'd still like to see stack combining / better hauling (mine carts!), a separation between social skills and stats (legendary liars shouldn't be superdwarvenly tough).

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 13, 2008, 02:56:46 pm »

I agree on the social skills, but that would require social stats first.  Maybe define each skill as based on stats to a degree (Mining would be 50% toughness, 40% strength and 10% agility, so a stat gain from mining would be toughness 50% of the time).

I know it doesn't QUITE work like that, but the rest is implementation details

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 13, 2008, 08:50:05 pm »

Actually the idea of associating specific skills to specific stats makes perfect sense...and would actually retroactively confirm one the great myths of DF (soooo many new players actually think that crafters gain agility, miners gain strength etc)

As far as a redo of this process (brainstorm and poll) I can think we can do it anytime we feel like it. I'm for waiting until next major (non letter) release. We play it for a bit, see what he has done, then start talking. Like Draco18s pointed out, only 3 of 10 have been planned to be addressed.

It would be nice if Toady would give us his opinion on the list...even in brief
IE (and not related to our list)
1. planned
2. planned
3. Memory hog
4. No idea on how to implement.
5. Don't like it
6. Impossible
7. Will break arc
8. planned
9. Donate more
10. Worship me

In the meantime, maybe we could flesh out some of this list like we're doing for UD.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #161 on: August 14, 2008, 09:41:39 am »

My 7:30AM bedtime take.

show levers / name levers / blink connected
-- can do some more with this but problems mitigated for now with notes

excavate - mine without stone production
-- ambivalent about this...  against it for default play, I guess, but could init it or something.

stop dwarven entrance dance when ordered inside
-- I've seen at least three interpretations of what this means.  If the main issue is something like paths crossing outdoors between two indoor areas when the standing order is on, the issue is very difficult to solve while maintaining the standing order.  Was thinking of scrapping/changing the order entirely when safe area/burrows/etc come in.  Only fast workaround I can think of is allowing them outside during the walks between areas.  Not sure that would satisfy people at all depending on what they mean when they bring this up.  I saw other reports of dwarves actually taking jobs with destinations outside when they aren't supposed to go outside, but I can't get that to happen since the mentioned jobs do permitted area checks.  Then there was something about avoiding enemies or something.

forbidden area designation
-- getting dwarves to just not path in certain tiles at all is very expensive both mem and cpu wise the way I've got things set up, and with the z axis overhaul this became virtually impossible as far as I can tell, without a complete rewrite of all of the pathing, the specifics of which elude me.  A few people have tried things out here with varying results -- the general idea is to block out the map with a bunch of rectangles/cubes and work with those, but I'm not sure how that would work out, considering things like dense forests and liquid flows and messy tangles of ramp connections and so on.

more raw files
-- this is more a general philosophy for years of work, but as I've been doing I can put stuff in over time

job priorities
-- this has been propped up here and there a bit too much, since availability of the free dwarves/free jobs at the proper time messes with it quite a bit, but still certainly going to do it at some point.  It's a large project to bite off though, so I haven't taken the plunge.

combine stacks / better stack handling
-- this has been a problem since before the first public release, and the two ideas were basically to actually do it and to fake doing it via interface presentation of item lists etc.  Actually combining items would virtually require losing information, or you'd almost never do it (most items carry a lot of info), so I've grown to dislike this option.  The other option is to make the player think its happening more or less, and that's fairly easy in the interface lists.  The problem comes with jobs -- dwarves need to learn how to use multiple item stacks and consider it in all of their thoughts, which makes it sort of a pervasive rewrite.  As with job priorities, just something I haven't jumped into, but definitely there to be done.

more underground diversity
-- up on dev_next in part, though there are some issues with some of the desired ones, especially with digging down, since it can't load all that many layers, and solutions for slowing downward digging all seem sort of gamey or sketchy

improved sieges
-- up on dev_next

framerate improvements
-- been slowly chipping away at it since the beginning.  opengl problemites will hopefully get some release next time if it doesn't just mess everything up with screen artifacts or weirdness that isn't happening here, and other than that its just a billion things that need to be squeezed and tweaked, or trashed completely
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 09:46:44 am by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 14, 2008, 10:22:42 am »

Thanks for the quick reply!

As far as the stacks go, I think 90% of the need is the used bolts, which by definition will have other bolts of the same quality/material, etc.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 14, 2008, 10:25:45 am »

Thanks for the quick reply!

As far as the stacks go, I think 90% of the need is the used bolts, which by definition will have other bolts of the same quality/material, etc.
restack is for coins too...
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 14, 2008, 10:51:10 am »

you are correct, but aren't they quality-less items designated only by material and year?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15