Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is your most desired suggestion out of the collected top 10?

show levers / name levers / blink connected
- 35 (6.4%)
excavate - mine without stone production
- 32 (5.9%)
stop dwarven entrance dance when ordered inside
- 73 (13.4%)
forbidden area designation
- 20 (3.7%)
more raw files
- 50 (9.2%)
job priorities
- 55 (10.1%)
combine stacks / better stack handling
- 65 (11.9%)
more underground diversity
- 93 (17%)
improved sieges
- 48 (8.8%)
framerate improvements
- 75 (13.7%)

Total Members Voted: 545

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15

Author Topic: Top 10 suggestions  (Read 39142 times)

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Top 10 suggestions
« Reply #180 on: August 16, 2008, 04:44:32 pm »

make a coin stamper building (baron?new appointment?) it gives new standardized temprature, stamps a new age, prints the _barons name_ cleans coins... ect
(damaged should just destroy the coin) 

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 16, 2008, 10:38:25 pm »

Can't use a torch to light a torch?

The heck with lighting them at all, we just assume its lit when it would need to be lit none of this messing around with tinder and flint, fire is WAY easy to make by the middle age time period the game is set in and its already abstracted away with things like charcoal making.  I see no reason to bring in lighting of mundane objects, only lighting creatures and traps like pitch pits on fire should be simulated.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 17, 2008, 08:56:01 am »

Can't use a torch to light a torch?

The heck with lighting them at all, we just assume its lit when it would need to be lit none of this messing around with tinder and flint, fire is WAY easy to make by the middle age time period the game is set in and its already abstracted away with things like charcoal making.  I see no reason to bring in lighting of mundane objects, only lighting creatures and traps like pitch pits on fire should be simulated.

NO WAY! I request an absolutely correct physical model of tinder and flint, that simulates spark flight and only lights the tinder if the spark really hits it and hasn't cooled down too much yet. Also, I want it to account wind, gravitation and pressure changes at different altitudes, and environment temperature!

But seriously, you are right, of course, we shouldn't take it too far.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 17, 2008, 09:19:34 am »

I'm leaning toward not suppressing the information by using some extra objects (could use the same ones as the interface would I guess, though there are all sorts of ways to think about it).

Can't you just create a new "stack" container that would be created by stacking two objects of the same types (bolts, coins, ...) and destroyed when it contains only one object? It would otherwise act the same way as any other container, meaning the different bolts/coins would still exist on their own and thus keep their informations.
We could examine a stack and then examine each object as if they were in a barrel, but most of the time we would just see "gold coins stack(26)".
Stacks would be created by a "stacking" job or automatically when two same-kind objects are in the same container (drop a coin in your bag when there's already another one and a stack is created ; put a bolt in your quiver when there's another creates a stack).
Otherwise, a stack wouldn't have any weight or information by itself : only the common weight of what it contains, and would display only informations that are shared by all of what it contains. This way there could be a <<*steel bolts stack (37)*>> and then if you put in the quiver a
<<steel bolt>> the stack would become a <<steel bolts stack (38)>>. Their quality isn't displayed anymore, but when a bolt is taken out the quiver when you crook the crossbow, the quality of the bolt is still taken into account.

Sorry to have brought it back, but I feared I would forget it. I thought it could be useful. I'm gonna edit and give my two cents about fire in a few minutes.

EDIT : I think torches should be made by groups. A torch requiring one wood seems too much for me, remember a whole tree is cut down for 1 wood. It should be enough for 20 or even 30 torches.

Anyway torches and campfires would have two states (lit and unlit). I honestly don't know what to think of needing or not needing something to lit them. When water reaches 1/7 at a campfire tile, it'd go out. Same for mural torches with 4/7 (if dwarves start swimming, then it means water is likely to be higher than a dwarf is tall, and torches are usually placed the same height as the head).

A campfire placed outside when raining would have more chances to go out. It'd need someone to look after it so it stays lit. Perhaps torches could also turn out when under the rain.

Also, perhaps we should have (in adventurer mode) an option to stick 2 objects next to each other, in the complex [ I ]nteraction menu. The hotter one would slowly (or not) heat the colder one until the ladder reaches the temperature of the first.

This way we could lit our mittens with our torch then throw it on that nasty GCS.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 09:38:23 am by Dae »

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 17, 2008, 09:31:13 am »

That might actually be a good solution, if it fits with the code Toady's got in place.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #185 on: August 17, 2008, 11:01:28 am »

I'm leaning toward not suppressing the information by using some extra objects (could use the same ones as the interface would I guess, though there are all sorts of ways to think about it).

Can't you just create a new "stack" container that would be created by stacking two objects of the same types (bolts, coins, ...) and destroyed when it contains only one object?

This is roughly what I meant by "extra objects", except for the "just" part.  The main point is that it's not only an interface problem.  If items are potentially contained in fake stack items, all the job handling needs to be revised to support that.  It's a bit less of a pain if you restrict to only coins or bolts say, but there are still things to be considered.  Take bolts for example.  Your guy wants to equip some.  First it needs to recognize the container as a valid ammo object.  Depending on exactly what you choose to stack, some members might not be as eligible as others -- what if some in the stack were forbidden, or tasked for a job, prior to stack formation, for example?  Those cases would need to be disallowed or handled.  Then the equipment checker needs to realize he's got the bolts when he places the container in his quiver.  Not so bad, possibly handled by current code, but something to check.  Now he wants to fire a bolt -- shooting needs to be rewritten to support bolts in the fake objects.  Sort of a piece of the quiver code already, maybe nothing needs to be touched at all, but takes some checking and testing.  There are side issues like valuations and stocks screen stuff, which might be handled already, and other thises and thats (environmental functions would need to be taught about fake containers -- rain for example should get the bolts wet, but currently there's no mechanism for jumping through a container on the ground to get the inside stuff wet, I think, since containers are generally real -- not hard, but yet another issue), as well as any applicable storage jobs, which run into some of the first problems I mentioned.  As you get to other objects, like food, you inherit more difficulties (vermin need to see and realize that they can eat food in stacks for free, etc. etc.).  As far as I can tell, the problem is not super difficult, and a lot of the issues just need a nudge one way or the other, or no nudge at all, but there are a Lot of issues that turn this into a tedious and long haul.  There's generally more to do and check than people expect.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 19, 2008, 01:07:09 am »

we need stack handling for bolts and coins real bad(and allowing marksdwarves to carry a significant amount)

also, how about changing it so missing and bruised are more distinct?
Healthy - White
Light Bruises - light gray
Serious Bruises - Dark Gray
Broken - Brown
Crippled - Red
Missing limbs - Dark red

its also a pain to stop recieving a trade liason after the king comes... could that feature be removed(that he stops coming, not that he comes)?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 01:23:25 am by eerr »

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 19, 2008, 06:51:04 am »

Healthy - White
Serious Bruises - Dark Gray
Broken - Brown
Crippled - Red
Missing limbs - Dark red

Hm, good point, and easy to change I guess. I always found that confusing. Maybe make missing limb lilac or purple or so, i.e. a dark colour that is different from red so that you know there is a 'qualitative' difference in between the last two injury levels.

Maybe also make the middle ones more follow a scale? E.g. like this:

Healthy - white
Serious Bruises - yellow
Broken - red
Crippled - dark red
Missing limbs - lilac/purple

edit: oops didn't see there's an extra thread on this..
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 06:53:15 am by dreiche2 »

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 19, 2008, 11:24:59 am »

As far as fire...is there any plan for implementing lighting systems, or can dwarves just see in absolute darkness?
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 19, 2008, 12:33:06 pm »

As far as fire...is there any plan for implementing lighting systems, or can dwarves just see in absolute darkness?

Req96, LIGHTING, (Future): Should be pitch black inside adventure caves and on cloudy moonless nights. Vision state should influence what you can see. Can try to make sunlight shine inside caves a bit by casting light lines on map-gen. Can track light with RGB filters so that things through red gem windows look red, etc. Things seen through glass statues could be distorted from their proper positions. Once fire is in, can do torches and other such light sources. Dwarves could place fires or gem lamps in dark places. Any magical take on alchemy could make extensive use of gems in this fashion, and the different colors of light can please certain nobles etc. Related to Core55.

# Core55, LIGHTING, (Future): This is essentially the old lighting dev item, upgraded, since it's important that proper lighting, vision, torches, etc. are recognized. The most necessary parts are making vision depending on the lighting of the location in question rather than where you are standing and adding some means of producing light (torches, candles, etc). Related to Req96.

Dwarf Mode...things might not change.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 19, 2008, 04:31:22 pm »

It makes sense that dwarves, being subteranean creatures, should have good infravision I suppose - but it's impossible to see with no light whatsoever. I'm pretty much on the fence about whether lighting would be another interesting game feature or just a pain in the butt.

Actually..I'm leaning toward "interesting feature." If goblins manage to infiltrate your fort somehow, you could extinguish all the lights and then rush them in the dark!
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 19, 2008, 05:32:28 pm »

how is that more efficient than drowning??
but more inerested ways to handle prisoners and wild animals would be nice

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 20, 2008, 03:17:56 am »

It makes sense that dwarves, being subteranean creatures, should have good infravision I suppose - but it's impossible to see with no light whatsoever.

No, it's not impossible. Infravision means they can see infrared heat radiation, which is visible no matter how dark it is (because it comes from different sources, like your body), and with good senses, anything that emits heat can act as a normal light source. Your body emits heat radiation, which gets reflected on surfaces and reenters your eyes...it works exactly like a normal light source, except that you would need extremely sensible eyes for that.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 20, 2008, 06:27:40 pm »

I think that stacks could be handled fairly well with simple linked lists. Items of same quality and material would be stacked into the same list. When you need an item out of the list, simply remove the last item from the list and pass it to whatever needs it. As the head element is an item of appropriate type you could send it to other parts of the code without any changes to that code. All you'd need to change is the item class, so it's getitem() function, or whatever it's called, browses down the list before returning the item's memory address.

With that out of the way, the problem of what to stack and when to stack it remains. The simple solution is to disregard cosmetic information (presence of blood/mud/vomit etc.) and only take into account information which has actual effect (quality and material is all that comes to mind right now). As for when the stacking occurs, I guess it would be easiest to make it so that when dwarves take an item to a stockpile they check that stockpile for any items that can stack with whatever it is they're hauling.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 21, 2008, 12:42:43 am »

It makes sense that dwarves, being subteranean creatures, should have good infravision I suppose - but it's impossible to see with no light whatsoever.

No, it's not impossible. Infravision means they can see infrared heat radiation, which is visible no matter how dark it is (because it comes from different sources, like your body), and with good senses, anything that emits heat can act as a normal light source. Your body emits heat radiation, which gets reflected on surfaces and reenters your eyes...it works exactly like a normal light source, except that you would need extremely sensible eyes for that.

Of course with such sensible eyes you could easily solve all vision problems,  now jokes aside, a creature would also need to be able to turn that ability off, or else they would be blinded as soon as they stepped outside.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15