Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Scalping - Modding request  (Read 1969 times)

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Scalping - Modding request
« on: November 24, 2012, 04:19:47 am »

I'm too lazy to learn modding and there is a lot of talent here, so here goes....

Don't know if this has been done before or even if it's possible in vanilla, but I'd love it if someone could make adventure mode interactions that allow one to take trophies from sentients a la blood meridian.  Basically I want to be able to scalp and take ears without butchering the whole corpse.

As a bonus I want to be able to string them to a belt or bandolier to show my trophies.  If that trophy had some value, beyond the intrinsic value of scalps and ears,  which it could be traded for, all the more excellent.

I would really appreciate it if anyone can point me towards existing mods or provide new code for this.

Edit - And my mind would be blown if this could be worked into dwarven racial or civil behaviour such that they did this automatically to foes in fortress mode.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 04:27:38 am by hermes »
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
Re: Scalping - Modding request
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 08:31:44 am »

Hmm.... You could use an interaction to raise and convert a corpse into a creature of three parts, which the connecting part evaporates at room temperature causing part to fall off which could be the scalp. However it may rot (unless you addnonrottable tag) after this the corpse could transform back to its previous self (transformation of corpse reverses due to end limit) The only problem I can think of is that there would be nothing stopping you gaining multiple scalps from the same corpse. Also making the scalps valuable is easy. Make them from a material which is high in value.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 08:57:18 am by Godlysockpuppet »

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 09:46:14 am »

Hmm.... You could use an interaction to raise and convert a corpse into a creature of three parts, which the connecting part evaporates at room temperature causing part to fall off which could be the scalp.

Hehe, pretty ingenious.  This sounds like it could work, though I was hoping for something a bit more straightforward (raising a corpse seems a bit drastic and too magical for my liking).  If we have to resort to magic, perhaps it's possible (and less indirect) to just make the item appear out of nowhere?

Also making the scalps valuable is easy. Make them from a material which is high in value.

Yes, this makes sense!  Possible to create a new material, e.g. "Scalped hair" and set that value?
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 01:57:10 pm »

Yeah the new material thing works. Em... actually it just occurred to me you can use a reaction set to adventurer only, which uses a corpse as the reagent and the product is a scalp and a scalpless corpse.. however you'd end up with a generic "scalpless corpse" instead of a "scalpless goblin corpse". It would also lead to bugs such as necromancers being unable to raise the "scalpless corpse"
Also the scalp would be able to be retrievable from animals as well as sentient creatures. You may also just get a generic "scalp" instead of "goblin scalp" or "globlin name's scalp". You may be able to change that though but you may have to ask a more experienced modder :) good luck!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 02:00:38 pm by Godlysockpuppet »

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 09:07:51 pm »

Maybe make it "Scalp goblin corpse" "Scalp human corpse" etc.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 07:27:57 am »

I'm not sure if you can make a reaction corpse specific. Go message Putnam Meph or Deon. I'm sure they'd know and would be happy to help.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 11:06:52 am by Godlysockpuppet »

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 08:07:34 am »

I'm not sure if you can make a reaction corpse specific. Go message Putnam Me pH or Demon. I'm sure they'd know and would be happy to help.

OK, well after looking at some existing mods and the wiki (which is sufficient but not fantastic, need to be more examples up there) I came up this...

Code: [Select]
The reaction...

[OBJECT:REACTION]

[REACTION:SCALP_HUMAN]
[NAME:scalp a dead human]
[ADVENTURE_MODE_ENABLED]
[REAGENT:body:1:CORPSE:HUMAN:CREATURE_MAT:HUMAN:HAIR][PRESERVE_REAGENT][USE_BODY_COMPONENT]
[REAGENT:weapon:1:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_DAGGER_LARGE:NONE:NONE][PRESERVE_REAGENT]
[PRODUCT:100:1:TOY:ITEM_TOY_HUMAN_SCALP:CREATURE_MAT:HUMAN:HAIR]
[SKILL:BONECARVE]

And the object...

[OBJECT:ITEM]

[ITEM_TOY:ITEM_TOY_HUMAN_SCALP]
[NAME:scalp:scalps]
[VALUE:500]

I thought Playergamer's idea sounded good because the raws seem to allow specific race selection, but I think you're right GSP.  Quickly tested the above and it did produce a scalp toy, but problems were:
  • Can scalp any body part, not just the main corpse
  • Can scalp the same part repeatedly (perhaps an insurmountable problem until corpses are revamped?)
  • Can scalp eagles, dogs and pretty much anything else that's dead I presume

This last one was disappointing since I thought it had locked out anything non-human in the reagent.  Any ideas on problem 1 and 3 or other general suggestions?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 08:50:14 am by hermes »

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 11:12:23 am »

I don't think you can make it corpse specific... The only thing I can think of is transform the corpse into something that can be used as reagent in the reaction (to get a scalp) and then transform back into the corpse again after a short time. However there's still the problem of being able to scalp multiple times. Would you be able to make the corpse syn_immune to the transform interaction (so it can't be transformed into the neccesary reagent for the reaction)? If so that would work perfectly. However if you don't scalp the corpse fast enough the transformation will wear off before you can scalp it and the newly syn_immune corpse will be unable to be scalped again.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 05:37:35 pm »

OK, using an interaction like you suggested before?  You were thinking further ahead than I realized!  ;)

Actually I just realized this came up in the latest DF talk, from where I possibly got this desire for scalping unconsciously, and it seems like it's not going to be fully implemented until corpses and butchery get upgraded.  I think in the mean time I can refrain from scalping feet and poultry, so this is OK for me as a placeholder.  Will work on a means of stringing them now.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 11:22:56 pm »

You should be able to make a reaction corpse specific, but you can't because of a bug.