Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Seasonal Crops Mod v2.1 (Updated for DF 0.34.11+)  (Read 22660 times)

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Seasonal Crops Mod v2.1 (Updated for DF 0.34.11+)
« on: July 12, 2010, 04:58:09 am »

Now updated for 0.34.11  :D

This mod makes farming more realistic by adjusting the growth durations and growing seasons such that crops are grown on an annual basis.

The growing seasons of the crops are roughly similar to those of their real-life counterparts.

HOW TO USE

IMPORTANT: Farm plots should be set such that the desired crop is planted only in the FIRST season of its cycle (e.g. A farm plot is set only to grow plump helmets in Spring, with NOTHING set in any of the other seasons). Planting a crop in the wrong season (e.g. Planting plump helmets in Summer) will result in wasted seeds and no harvest, as the crop will not have enough time to germinate.

As crop yield per tile is now lower, a larger farm area will be required to adequately provide for the fortress.

Genning a new world or starting a new save is probably not required.

CROPS

Spring crops - Planted in Spring and harvested in Autumn:

- Plump helmets
- Pig tails
- Cave wheat
- Muck roots
- Bloated tubers
- Longland grass
- Rope reed
- Hide roots
- Silver barbs
- Whip vines

Winter crops - Planted in Winter and harvested in Summer:

- Quarry bushes
- kobold bulbs
- rat weeds
- blade weeds
- dimple cups

Berries/herbs - Planted in Spring and harvested in Summer:

- Sweet pods
- Valley herbs
- Prickle berries
- Fisher berries
- Wild strawberries
- Sun berries

INSTALLATION

Download

After unzipping the archive, copy plant_standard.txt to your raws folder (for an existing game/region, use the raws folder within the region's save folder). Optionally, entity_default.txt may also be copied over to give dwarves access to aboveground crops from embark.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 08:09:50 am by RavingManiac »
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
Re: Seasonal Crops Mod v0.1 for 0.31.10
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 07:45:27 pm »

bump for awesomeness.. farming in this game is to easy right now, this will make it more realistic

Alcoholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 08:07:24 pm »

I agree farming in this game is wayyyy to easy, I never ever have to worry about food at all. Ill have to try this.

s20dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 08:49:32 pm »

I'll be trying this when I start my next fortress. I like the idea of crops taking longer to grow, however underground the seasons should be less of an issue as sunlight levels dont change and temps would be more constant.

Do you think mud could be made to dry much faster? This would make irrigattion more useful, its always bothered me how  a farm will run indeffinately with no soil degredation.

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 11:09:50 am »

Nice work! Will be trying this out :)

I'll be trying this when I start my next fortress. I like the idea of crops taking longer to grow, however underground the seasons should be less of an issue as sunlight levels dont change and temps would be more constant.

Do you think mud could be made to dry much faster? This would make irrigattion more useful, its always bothered me how  a farm will run indeffinately with no soil degredation.

Agree with the first point, seasons wouldnt really affect subterranean plants.

As for the second point; I have a weird situation in my current fort where the mud under my farm plots disappears within minutes so I have to irrigate it constantly or farming grinds to a halt - it's super annoying!

s20dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 01:58:52 pm »

I have a weird situation in my current fort where the mud under my farm plots disappears within minutes so I have to irrigate it constantly or farming grinds to a halt - it's super annoying!

I have actually had this happen too, it may have something to do with built floors or murky pools, but I'm just guessing. On the fort where I had that happen, that area was forever useless. I just expanded my farm area and reflooded it which gave me another area with perma-mud :)
 I think thats a bug, but I was hoping it could be tweaked to allow or require yearly irrigation...

KFK

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeper of the enchanting pixie dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 03:21:13 pm »

Mods like these help, but I've been playing with very long growing durations for about 6 weeks now. I have plants that take a whole year (GROWDUR:4032) and others that take 18 months (6048). These are much larger values than the ones you're using. I also disabled booze cooking. What I've found is that this doesn't make the kind of dent in food production you might expect. I just turned to other food sources: Fishing, Hunting, Plant Gathering, Livestock... . I didn't run up the crazy surpluses I had from farming, but it was still too easy to overproduce.

Based on my research in this area, I conclude that every food source needs this kind of treatment; farming is just the first step.

ChickenLips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 03:38:18 pm »

Ah, excellent!  Yeah, vanilla above-ground farming seems incomplete.  No seasonal dynamic, too easy, and all that.  This is very welcome.  I'll try it out.

And yes, true on other sources of food.  It's pretty easy all around, but my plant storage is bursting, all 300 tiles of it, and so great first step.
Do not meddle in the affairs of chickens, for you are crunchy and taste like a good seedgrain.

(You are not a seedgrain?  Of course, you and I know that very well.  But does the chicken know it?)

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 03:46:23 pm »

Mods like these help, but I've been playing with very long growing durations for about 6 weeks now. I have plants that take a whole year (GROWDUR:4032) and others that take 18 months (6048). These are much larger values than the ones you're using. I also disabled booze cooking. What I've found is that this doesn't make the kind of dent in food production you might expect. I just turned to other food sources: Fishing, Hunting, Plant Gathering, Livestock... . I didn't run up the crazy surpluses I had from farming, but it was still too easy to overproduce.

Based on my research in this area, I conclude that every food source needs this kind of treatment; farming is just the first step.

Plant Gathering is easy enough to fix up by altering the FREQUENCY token.

However, butchery is based on the size of the creature and the relative size of its parts, I believe. I think you'd have to make everything smaller.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 03:47:39 am »

Mods like these help, but I've been playing with very long growing durations for about 6 weeks now. I have plants that take a whole year (GROWDUR:4032) and others that take 18 months (6048). These are much larger values than the ones you're using.
The crops have a growing season of three seasons(usually from spring to autumn), and take two seasons to grow. This means that crops have to be sown in the spring and harvested in autumn, and only one crop can be grown per year. Its meant to mimic actual farming cycles.

Yeah, seasons would not affect plants underground, but since subterranean crops are the main staple of the fortress diet, I thought that making them grow like surface crops was the best way to make seasonal farming more relevant to the player.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

KFK

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeper of the enchanting pixie dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 04:38:45 am »

Mods like these help, but I've been playing with very long growing durations for about 6 weeks now. I have plants that take a whole year (GROWDUR:4032) and others that take 18 months (6048). These are much larger values than the ones you're using.
The crops have a growing season of three seasons(usually from spring to autumn), and take two seasons to grow. This means that crops have to be sown in the spring and harvested in autumn, and only one crop can be grown per year. Its meant to mimic actual farming cycles.

I guess from a gameplay perspective one harvest a year is one harvest a year, any way you slice it. So yeah, in retrospect, the fact that I'm using larger values isn't relevant. Though I feel that other food sources are still an issue.

elfhater

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine vino non laboro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 03:48:14 pm »

I'd sure like to see this mod merged with Herman's Plant Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=60995.0 . That would make extensive above-ground farming worthwhile.

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 04:50:24 pm »

I'd sure like to see this mod merged with Herman's Plant Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=60995.0 . That would make extensive above-ground farming worthwhile.

DOO IT

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 05:38:51 pm »

Um.... I seem to remember one of the quirks of the game is that if there isn't sufficient time left in the year for something to grow, then you can't plant it.  That applies to growing seasons as well, so if you don't put all three [SEASONS] for a plant with an eight-month grow period then you won't be able to plant it at all...

But as for the general concept of making crops take longer to grow, I think that's an excellent idea.  It wouldn't stop syrup spamming, but it encourages large fields of crops, which in my opinion look nice.

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 10:13:31 pm »

It seems to act odd for .18
Pages: [1] 2