Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27

Author Topic: Wanderer's Friend [0.97b]: Now with elixirs.  (Read 103357 times)

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: Wanderer's Friend [0.97b]: Now with elixirs.
« Reply #360 on: August 10, 2014, 08:32:13 pm »

After this last update I really hope Toady puts a bit of priority on deeper item manipulation in adventure mode :( I really wish he'd take a good solid mod that already has the base format set up, flip through it and Toadyize it, and then add it to vanilla :> I love that he generally does his own work, but some of these modded bits really belong in vanilla DF..

Anyway, here's hoping, all the way around!

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 11, 2014, 10:48:04 am »

Well Deon's mod looks cool, but it really isn't Wanderer's Friend at all.  I think there must (?!) be a lot of people looking for a pure WF update, so... erm... is one in the works?  I didn't realize that WF changed the creatures, so I guess this might be a bigger job than I thought, but perhaps all the changes required would be regular/uniform?  e.g. all the Reactions now need x, all the Creatures now need y, and so on.  I have no idea what these new things would be so I would only really do this if I HAD to look into it...  :'(
I am not sure, but if I remember correctly the changes to the creatures were to make them drop things useful for crafting, either directly or through butchering, and possibly also to balance what it dropped to make it reasonably difficult to get what you need for crafting.  So I would start looking there.  I am not sure if there were other changes to creatures.

Also, at least in 40.02 you could butcher sapients (i.e. elves), so there's some extra motivation for you...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 10:49:53 am by Pirate Bob »

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: August 11, 2014, 11:07:07 am »

That's good to know.  Just been reading through the WF readme, and I would be inclined to cut the added animal materials and the fortress mode stuff and just focus on the adventurer interactions.  If those would work reasonably with stock animals and materials, that would be great.  And I have yet to look at butchering sentients, but taking trophies from kills has been something I've wanted to do properly for ages so... I might take a stab at this.

The pertinent section reads...

Quote from: Lofn
A more in-depth explanation of the material mod
-----------------------------------------------
With this mod, new materials are added via creature variations, resulting in a decrease in imaginary materials like 'worm fur', 'blue jay hide' and the like, which occur due to the standard material and tissue allocation tokens giving products to creatures that cannot actually be butchered.  Variations are also easier to modify and maintain than individual assignments, and faster to apply to new creatures.

So not using the Wanderer's Friend materials (which would be ideal as it is kind of a workaround in itself, and I like mods that change vanilla as little as possible) relies on 0.40.1+ butchering animals more properly.  Which according to the devlog...

Quote from: Toady
All jobs that affect body components (anything that uses bone, for example) will now carve away pieces of the body component, which'll leave a "partially butchered" wound type on the limbs etc. that were used in jobs if the skeleton is animated. Leather from skins is still not computed according to size, though -- that's a slightly more difficult problem since they use a custom product tag for tanning.

...Should be the case. .. ..... ... ?
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #363 on: January 22, 2015, 04:27:47 pm »

Hello. Does it count as a necro if I'm bumping my own thread?

I've been away from the Dwarf Fort community for something like three years now, but I dug this thread up today on an unrelated matter and I was reminded of how engaging it was. Would people still be interested in an update of this mod to work with the most recent DF release? If so, please post. Additionally, please post any ideas and requests you would have for a crafting-focused mod that are not already represented (or represented poorly) in other mods.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 22, 2015, 04:34:48 pm »

Hey! Glad you are back!
I already did something similar:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=140950.0

If you want we can collaborate, or you could revive this with all new features. I would love to see any development.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #365 on: January 22, 2015, 04:48:38 pm »

Hi! I'll give it a look when I get back from Serious Real World Business later on. Would be good to collaborate with someone again, but it has been a long time since I've touched raws and I will need to relearn everything.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 22, 2015, 05:49:37 pm »

Wanderer's Friend was the only mod I ever used for DF, I'm surprised I missed the one you made Deon.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 22, 2015, 08:20:05 pm »

yha update this,.....say..if I kill a fire man could I use this to make a fire man sword?!
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 23, 2015, 04:35:58 am »

You seem to be quite obsessed with fire men :). Ever tried to call 911?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 23, 2015, 07:43:41 am »

FIRE WILL CONSUME YOU HAHAHAHAHAHhahahaha
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

heatblade1212

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 17, 2015, 07:20:05 pm »

I installed the mod as told, and i am having a problem, i have 337 Giant intestines and 1 giant lock of hair, and yet i cant dry the gut or make thread out of hair?

am i doing something wrong here?
(i could make bone armor and weapons no problem)

heatblade1212

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: February 18, 2015, 03:02:06 pm »

i also tried tanning wolves, and they show up as hairless pelts? and again, no usable hair or gut to make thread...

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 01, 2015, 03:23:02 pm »

Ah, this is a classic. I'm yet another modder that's tweaked various things taken from this mod for my own use.

I'm tempted just to eyeball this mod's last version and re-tweak it just to put it back up to DF2014 standards. But for know I'll add some of my own notes about issues and fixes. Spoilers will be due to somewhat long notes and copy-pastes of raw editing.

About hair, bones, and the DF2014 changes to them (see also: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=3712):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Poisons (I've said it before and I'll say it again, decorating with venom DOES NOT WORK):

On gathering wood, and other plant lunacy:

On bone crafts and redundant reactions:

I hope Lofn or others find these useful. From what I've seen of Deon's take it definitely is a good port to DF2014, but it still might suffer from the material tweaks.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #373 on: March 17, 2015, 08:49:52 pm »

Thanks for the post. When I get more than half an hour of motivation to go over this again I'll be sure to incorporate them.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 17, 2015, 10:04:04 pm »

Oh god I just noticed you can do that with putting in a dagger instead of a stone for the carving... I mean you don't actually need that part, but it makes sense and all, and gives a use for the dagger you start out with.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27