Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The hostility of werewolves  (Read 887 times)

The hostility of werewolves
« on: July 13, 2010, 12:33:58 pm »

I'm a relatively new player of DF so I figured rather then grinding out on safe ground awaiting the inevitable goblin siege I would thrust myself into sinister grounds for the first time. After i was done with mapping out my fort I started looking around the map waiting for the miners to hollow out some cliff and soon enough I spotted trouble. A werewolf was closing in on my idle dwarfs and animals, luckily, my war dogs and company killed it, however, another werewolf has taken its place but this one appears to be more cautious. What should I do? Form a ramshackle militia and engage or just wait it out until my fort is ready to move in then form a town watch kind of thing.
screen cap of the situation

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Re: The hostility of werewolves
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 12:39:49 pm »

Try going underground, building traps, and waiting inside with a bait animal. As soon as the werewolf goes in, they'll be slaughtered/caged. Then, you can do what you want with him. You can't tame him, so I suggest using him as siege bait.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 12:44:10 pm »

I almost missed the dead werewolf.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Sure they're twice as large as your dwarfs, but they don't appear in packs. Undead on the other hand and elephant undead are simply deadly. Settling near a cave is even worse fun.

On a side note, werewolfs make for expensive pets.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 12:46:28 pm »

Try going underground, building traps, and waiting inside with a bait animal. As soon as the werewolf goes in, they'll be slaughtered/caged. Then, you can do what you want with him. You can't tame him, so I suggest using him as siege bait.
Thats what i have planned, you can see some stairs on the screen cap, i have miner working hardly down below

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 12:50:52 pm »

They lack a [PET] or [PET_EXOTIC] tag. . .
>_>
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 01:20:19 pm »

They lack a [PET] or [PET_EXOTIC] tag. . .
>_>

I think he was saying it might cost you to try and make pet werewolves. Without modding, that is.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 01:58:46 pm »

If there's one werewolf, it's likely there will be more.  I don't consider them easy pickings.  Sure, a single guy with an axe can take one out pretty quickly, but a werewolf can do a lot of damage in the time it takes your single guy with an axe to reach it.

Ultimately, you need two full time militia members, set to defend a burrows that encompasses the outside.  Two, because you can't have one guy on duty all the time.  I would get myself a fortified position and not leave it until I could afford those two soldiers.  For my forts, I block off the rest of the world early, first via a moat, and then via a wall to prevent cancellations, only bothering to bridge it when I get migrants/caravans.  After the first set of migrants, its usually possible to have the two soldiers, although I usually only have enough armor for one of them at that point.

He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 04:27:09 pm »

I was over run and killed. A pair of werewolves, in cahoots or not, crept in and pretty much slaughtered every one, GG.