Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: refuse 'refuses' to decay.  (Read 2390 times)

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
refuse 'refuses' to decay.
« on: July 12, 2010, 10:27:51 pm »

I've got acres and acres of invader corpses in my refuse pile, some of the bodies have been there for 10 years. I keep making more and more refuse piles, and they just fill up. Is this what others are noticing, or are my piles bugged? In previous versions that stuff usually dissapeared after a season or two.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: refuse 'refuses' to decay.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 10:46:56 pm »

same here... only tiles that ever seem to empty from my refuse piles are corpses my butcher takes away or bones/shells my bonecarver does... everything else just sits there forever

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 10:51:03 pm »

Have you looked at them closely?  I've discovered that the tile doesn't change, but if you examine the contents it will go from "corpse" to "rotten corpse" eventually to "skeleton" without the symbol changing.  i.e. "g" for dead goblin still looks like the same "g" when it's just a bare skeleton lying there.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Nibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 11:35:15 pm »

If you designate a garbage dump activity area, you can occasionally dump your refuse pile onto it, and items can stack very high in a garbage dump.  I usually dump everything onto a bridge over a magma pit, so I can drop it all into the magma and destroy it permanently.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 12:59:16 am »

You need more bone carvers.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

ChickenLips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 03:58:27 am »

I've found the atom-smasher method easier, earlier on before I've gotten to magma.  I build a simple garbage-compactor room with a 3x3 raising bridge, link a lever to it, define a dump zone underneath it when raised, and periodically declare dump-fest for corpses and other irritating things to it.  Making all of them disappear is a lever-pull away.

But yeah, save those bones (not skeletons) -- you can have goblinbone crossbows, amulets and the like.  Bone decoration with them is a bit sketchy, though, as sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  (I actually have a bug report up on that right now.)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 03:59:59 am by ChickenLips »
Do not meddle in the affairs of chickens, for you are crunchy and taste like a good seedgrain.

(You are not a seedgrain?  Of course, you and I know that very well.  But does the chicken know it?)

That guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 07:42:22 am »

Corpses apparently decay slower now. I have two "partially decomposed goblin skeletons" in my indoor refuse pile. I'm unsure if these are corpses turning into skeletons or skeletons turning into dust, or what.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 09:18:52 am »

I have an internal pile for stuff like bones and shells, and that stuff is not supposed to decay if it's in an underground stockpile as far as I know. However these 'partial skeletons' just seem to sit outside forever, I don't think a single one has decayed in the 11 years of this fort.

My latest forts:

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 09:21:05 am »

i think corpses decay slower when not in a stockpile, so throw all your refuse in a 1-tile garbage dump and see what happens
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 09:26:15 am »

i think corpses decay slower when not in a stockpile, so throw all your refuse in a 1-tile garbage dump and see what happens

Actually what I meant was they are in an outside stockpile. It's curious because previous versions decayed almost everything that went into the outside refuse stockpile.

My latest forts:

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 09:40:21 am »

Refuse refuses to go
Just lies out in the snow
(As flies flying already know)

Alas, poor Urist, I knew him
As well as the mad dwarf who slew him
He still lies in the pile we threw him

Because refuses refuses to go
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 03:27:21 pm »

*standing ovation*

My latest forts:

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 03:38:45 pm »

I suppose ever since the materials rewrite the way certain objects degrade over time has been changed. It appears that bodies in general take a longer time to decay in .31 than 40d.