Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: Victoria 2 Thread  (Read 60905 times)

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Victoria 2 Thread
« on: July 13, 2010, 01:51:15 pm »

todo: writeup
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 11:03:13 am by PenguinOverlord »
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria 2
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 01:59:34 pm »

If it is as interesting as you describe, it could be the great play of the span between August 13 and September 21 when Civ V comes out.

EDIT: Not trying to change the subject to Civ5, of course, but that is exactly what will happen to me. :P
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Seamas

• Bay Watcher
  • Which way to the Egress?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 02:01:30 pm »

Brilliant! 

Think it´s going to take a pretty demanding rig?  I don´t know how much more Ole´Reliable can take.
"One should behave like a gentleman when dealing with gentlemen, and a bastard when dealing with bastards."

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 02:04:04 pm »

The system requirements are in the first link, but I might as well post them here.  They're pretty tough on you, but they're better than HOI3. I hope Ole' Reliable can take it, but she might not be able to. I'd run the demo before buying. If any of you have a problem with the interface, which you shouldn't, given that you guys play DF, they've also put a huge tutorial into the game.

Minimum system requirements according to Gamer's Gate:
Windows XP/Vista/7.0
Intel® Pentium® IV 2.4 GHz or AMD 3500+
2GB RAM
2 GB hard disk space, NVIDIA® GeForce 8800 or ATI Radeon® X1900 video card,
Direct X-compatible sound card,
DirectX®: DirectX 9
3-button mouse, keyboard, speakers,
Internet connection for multiplayer
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 02:06:28 pm by PenguinOverlord »

IHateOutside

• Bay Watcher
  • Fire safety is for wimps.
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria 2: The Facist Republic of Texas, anyone?
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 04:38:19 pm »

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 07:12:38 pm »

For those who want it:

INDEX of Developer Diaries for Victoria II
Already had it in the first link, but putting it up anyway. Thanks.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 12:12:47 am »

You shouldn't have really said that WWI can happen.  WWI or even a war very much like it can't happen based on what I've seen of the dev diaries.  What can happen is a big clusterfuck of the great powers due to entangling alliances.  But I'll bet dollars to donuts that you aren't going to see a war that resembles WWI very well.  I have high hopes for a good U.S. civil war and a good Crimean war.

What was really the fun part of Victoria though was turning a backwater nation into an economic powerhouse.  When the United States of Central America becomes a superpower without absurdly expanding it's borders, you get a different sense of accomplishment than just conventional warmongering.  It's also fun to play as the US and literally buy Africa from the european powers, piece by piece.  I hear they removed territory buying for Victoria 2 but there might be in an expansion.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 09:30:23 am »

You shouldn't have really said that WWI can happen.  WWI or even a war very much like it can't happen based on what I've seen of the dev diaries.  What can happen is a big clusterfuck of the great powers due to entangling alliances.  But I'll bet dollars to donuts that you aren't going to see a war that resembles WWI very well.  I have high hopes for a good U.S. civil war and a good Crimean war.

What was really the fun part of Victoria though was turning a backwater nation into an economic powerhouse.  When the United States of Central America becomes a superpower without absurdly expanding it's borders, you get a different sense of accomplishment than just conventional warmongering.  It's also fun to play as the US and literally buy Africa from the european powers, piece by piece.  I hear they removed territory buying for Victoria 2 but there might be in an expansion.
WWI still CAN happen, I just suppose it's extremely unlikely. In game terms, I suppose it would be what you said, a huge clusterfuck of great powers going to war against Austria-Hungary and allies where Austria is trying to bring itself back into its great power spot. Nonetheless, these "Great Wars" will still be fun, if they don't devolve into the endless wars of Ottoman Aggression, and I'm sure someone will try to make a WWI mod. Besides that, I'm sure the Civil War would be good. I mean, this game focuses on economics first and war second. I don't understand why they had Norway absorbed by Sweden, though.

Also, guiding a backwater nation like the United States of Central America and turning it into a world power is awesome, but what's stopping you from taking the mantle of an Uncivilized Nation, like Persia, and turning it into the greatest in the world?

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 10:01:31 am »

they had Norway absorbed by Sweden

This is a travesty and I am not boycotting this game
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 10:28:40 am »

I believe that at one point many of the Scandinavian countries were united in a pact called the Kalmar Union. I have no idea when the time period for this game is, but it may occur during some part of the Union. (Or at least in the aftermath, when it broke into several smaller unions.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 10:41:15 am »

they had Norway absorbed by Sweden

This is a travesty and I am not boycotting this game
Some people actually treat this as a larger issue than it is. I'm sure that if they want to play as Norway, they can release it, or mods will it independent.

IHateOutside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 10:47:10 am »

Norway was in a personal union with Sweden until 1905, and Paradox have apparently decided this is best represented as having Norway be part of Sweden. The name should probably be more like 'The United Kingdoms of Sweden and Norway' or just Sweden-Norway to keep it short (Which is easily modded in). The problem with this is some people may get confused - "HURR DURR wtf is Swedennorway how you even supposed to pronounce that?"

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 01:40:24 pm »

It's a complicated story actually. Only thing shared by Sweden and Norway between 1814 and 1905 was head of state and foreign policy (basically Norway wasn't allowed its own embassies or consulates). This became a big political issue since Norway had a large trading fleet while Sweden didn't. The second half of the 19th century was dominated by political wrangling, secret deals with foreign powers and serious military buildup. The swedish king eventually budged and war was averted, a deal was made with the kings of England and Denmark, and Norway became independent.

Would have been interesting to try to recreate something like that in a game like Victoria 2, but Paradox apparently doesn't want to. Paradox is a swedish company by the way  :o

IHateOutside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 01:55:35 pm »

It's a complicated story actually. Only thing shared by Sweden and Norway between 1814 and 1905 was head of state and foreign policy (basically Norway wasn't allowed its own embassies or consulates). This became a big political issue since Norway had a large trading fleet while Sweden didn't. The second half of the 19th century was dominated by political wrangling, secret deals with foreign powers and serious military buildup. The swedish king eventually budged and war was averted, a deal was made with the kings of England and Denmark, and Norway became independent.

Would have been interesting to try to recreate something like that in a game like Victoria 2, but Paradox apparently doesn't want to. Paradox is a swedish company by the way  :o

Yeah it sounds like Norway would be better as a satellite rather than being one state.  In the original Victoria it was possible to form 'Scandinavia' (Sweden-Norway-Denmark) by backing up Denmark in the 'Slesvig question' against Prussia and winning (?). It sounds like from what you said this wasn't that plausible at the time.
I am curious to see how the new system works when it comes to 'pan-nationalist' rebellions.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 03:43:31 pm »

As far as I remember, Norway wasn't independent in first Victoria.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15