Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

Author Topic: Victoria 2 Thread  (Read 61222 times)

darkedone02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria 2: The Fascist Republic of Texas, anyone? Released on August 13th.
« Reply #105 on: October 08, 2010, 01:38:35 am »

I never really like this game at all, I made an army of 26 ironclad's against a small army of 4 wooden-weak ships... I lost the battle... LOST THE DAMN BATTLE WHEN I OVERPOWERED THEM WITH STRONG SHIPS! This is why I hate most of these Victoria and Europa game because the combat in this game sucks ass.  Not only that, but my income goes down into the negative if I research too much! which is absolutely ridiculous. This is why I hate this game so much...

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 08, 2010, 09:05:38 am »

The Ironclad thing is a serious snafu but are you implying that balancing a national budget with a first rate education and research system is supposed to be easy?  And honestly it isn't that hard.  Set taxes to max, because you have no tax tech at the start max is only like 18%.  Lower military procurement (the "national stockpile") slider to around half.  That should give you a healthy surplus with pretty much any country.

Edit: on second thought, the ironclad thing is probably your own damn fault.  You probably researched ironclads without researching any of the accompanying techs, naval weapons, tactics, etc.  Then you went into battle confident in your invincibility and got smacked silly.  It would be like pitting a 1890's battleship squadron against a modern cruiser and being amazed that you'd lose.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 09:58:29 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

darkedone02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 09, 2010, 07:14:28 pm »

which is why I've uninstall this game,  put in on my hate list of game and move on... I will never again play anything similar to Victoria 2...

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 09, 2010, 08:13:29 pm »

I started a game as the Papal States and ended up unifying Italy and conquering all of Africa and Japan.  I like to think of my soldiers as fanatical warrior monks spreading the faith with cannons.  When Great Britain declared war on me in 1856 in the name of securing Japanese territory, I destroyed their navy in an epic battle in the English Channel and took their African holdings. 

The French and Portuguese joined Italy (which I now called the Roman Catholic Empire) against Britain, but when I added the conquest of Wales to my war goals, Russia declared a war of containment against me.  Russia was at war with China, which I influenced into fighting Britain as well.

Prussia and Austria were having their 52nd tiff over hegemony, so they kept out of the war.  Russia had no way of getting to me except by way of wooden boats that got ripped apart by the French ironclads.  In the east, I swept into the Russian border with a massive Japanese force.

With the British fleet vanquished and their only major ally rendered inert, the Italian navy enacted a full blockade around the British Isles.  Then came the invasion force, elite Italian shock troops backed up by thousands of Malagasy infantry.  The Battle of London took place in 1862, when 250,000 British soldiers died at the hands of 650,000 attackers, most of them in artillery units.  Italian and French losses were minimal.

The occupation of London began when a second invasion force landed on the shores of Ireland.  In 1863 with much of Brittania in enemy hands, we raised the war demands to include the full surrender of Ireland, and sued them for peace.  They agreed.

Ireland was freed in two years after the first major rebellions were put down, and remained an Italian satellite, completely loyal to the papacy.  Before Ireland was declared a sovreign nation, the Italian government spared no effort to industrialize the nation and build a first rate rail system and a naval base in Dublin.  By 1880 they fielded the sixth largest land army in the world and had become a major world power, displacing Austria for seventh place.

I like Victoria 2 because I like history as much as the prospect of messing with it. 

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 09, 2010, 09:13:54 pm »

What ever happened to the US in that game? Sounds like they probably were the last protestant world power left.

Also, what would happen if you ported the game into HoI III and played as Great Britain? A seething fascist nation with not much left to lose?
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 09, 2010, 09:39:23 pm »

which is why I've uninstall this game,  put in on my hate list of game and move on... I will never again play anything similar to Victoria 2...
What.
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 09, 2010, 10:15:35 pm »

What ever happened to the US in that game? Sounds like they probably were the last protestant world power left.

Also, what would happen if you ported the game into HoI III and played as Great Britain? A seething fascist nation with not much left to lose?

Before and after the rebellion of the CSA, the US was having on and off war with Mexico.  I got involved during one of the bigger conflicts thanks to a Casus Belli and freed California, and the USA managed to come out with Utah and Texas. Our nations got along despite the ideological differences.  It helped that Britain had tried to take New England a few times in the past, so their relations with the US were pretty abysmal.

I imagine that game's Britian would try and start trouble in the Far East, since they still had vast holdings in India and after they lost Wales and Ireland (along with most of their fighting force) they didn't seem eager to provoke any major power.  Before my game ended they had annexed a great deal of territory from China, but I didn't really care about that.  My focus toward the end of the game was dealing with a suddenly unified and very aggressive Germany that attacked when most of my army was tied up in Africa.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 10, 2010, 03:52:17 pm »

Sounds exactly like WWI.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 12, 2010, 03:26:59 am »

Here are the changes for 1.2, for anyone interested.

Spoiler: Wall of Text (click to show/hide)

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 12, 2010, 12:37:49 pm »

I started a game as the Papal States and ended up unifying Italy and conquering all of Africa and Japan.  I like to think of my soldiers as fanatical warrior monks spreading the faith with cannons.  When Great Britain declared war on me in 1856 in the name of securing Japanese territory, I destroyed their navy in an epic battle in the English Channel and took their African holdings. 

The French and Portuguese joined Italy (which I now called the Roman Catholic Empire) against Britain, but when I added the conquest of Wales to my war goals, Russia declared a war of containment against me.  Russia was at war with China, which I influenced into fighting Britain as well.

Prussia and Austria were having their 52nd tiff over hegemony, so they kept out of the war.  Russia had no way of getting to me except by way of wooden boats that got ripped apart by the French ironclads.  In the east, I swept into the Russian border with a massive Japanese force.

With the British fleet vanquished and their only major ally rendered inert, the Italian navy enacted a full blockade around the British Isles.  Then came the invasion force, elite Italian shock troops backed up by thousands of Malagasy infantry.  The Battle of London took place in 1862, when 250,000 British soldiers died at the hands of 650,000 attackers, most of them in artillery units.  Italian and French losses were minimal.

The occupation of London began when a second invasion force landed on the shores of Ireland.  In 1863 with much of Brittania in enemy hands, we raised the war demands to include the full surrender of Ireland, and sued them for peace.  They agreed.

Ireland was freed in two years after the first major rebellions were put down, and remained an Italian satellite, completely loyal to the papacy.  Before Ireland was declared a sovreign nation, the Italian government spared no effort to industrialize the nation and build a first rate rail system and a naval base in Dublin.  By 1880 they fielded the sixth largest land army in the world and had become a major world power, displacing Austria for seventh place.

I like Victoria 2 because I like history as much as the prospect of messing with it. 

Wow, that sounds great! So I'm guessing you really have more freedom in Victoria 2 than you did in Victoria (and maybe Hearts of Iron I and II). The quirk I've always had with many Paradox games is that most non-major countries have no chance of doing anything significantly influential within the game's timeframe. You had to start with a really powerful nation to do whatever you wanted and actually succeed at it. Lesser countries were reduced to much punier goals, merely being able to choose between course of action A, B or C.

In the case of the first Victoria, I had the feeling the most you could achieve with minor countries was getting industrialized after, like, 50-70 years. I remember playing as Argentina back then, and after around 40-50 years, I didn't feel I had accomplished much. Sure, I had gotten a lot of immigration and the economy was getting better, but overall I was still far behind the major powers.

But the fact you could do all those things with the teeny tiny Papal States gives me hope. :)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 12:40:00 pm by Greenbane »

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 12, 2010, 07:57:40 pm »

It was fun, but I find starting with a Westernized nation is much easier than starting with an Uncivilized one.  I prefer picking a smaller country to start, since you have time to build up and see your nation grow over the years, instead of being thrown into the center of the world stage right away.

If you want a real challenge, though, try starting as Texas or Tripoli, they're doomed from the start.  :)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 13, 2010, 01:57:10 am »

Yeah, minor powers are fun and I have quite a bit of fun with Greece.  But for some reason, Austria always ends up intervening to protect the Ottoman empire from my attempts to free the Balkans.  It would be one thing if England, France or Prussia was intervening to maintain a balance of power and would just force me into a white peace like the Crimean war.  But to have Austria intervene and set it's sights on burning Athens to protect the Turk instead of say, joining in the fun and taking a slice of the Balkans for themselves makes me want to cry bitter tears of historical futility.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 19, 2010, 07:01:53 am »

I have played 1.2 and I must say I'm not impressed. Even disappointed.

I don't mind too much somewhat poor AI which fights the same wars every several years, because that usually gets improved in Paradox games. There are some minor scripting errors, but they are somewhat easy to fix by yourself. The economy also needs improvement in several places, as the raw materials prices are changing way too slow. But there are several problems that are unacceptable in a game you pay 40$ for.

The first is the lag in the later years. It doesn't seem to be a huge problem on my machine, but I have seen people claiming that the game becomes unplayable because of it.

The second are rebel system which is so poorly implemented it makes me steaming every time I think about it.  Currently there are almost no revolts until 1880, including the famous Springtime of Nations. Once I did everything to rise militancy and haven't managed to get a revolt before SoN have ended.

But don't let the game fool you. When the rebels organise enough to revolt, they are completely out of control. In 1890 I have seen UK, France, Russia and Ottoman Empire swarming with huge stacks of rebels, all of them anarcho-liberals. This is probably the one of two type of rebels you ever see winning - nationalists are so rare you'll be happy if you ever see them revolting. Communists and fascists are usually not yet invented before the world gets attacked by the Zerg.

The second infamous type are less radical brethren of anarcho-liberals - so-called Jacobins. They fight to promote democracy, but because of a bug, they can appear in full democracies and are actually rolling back reforms after winning. Fortunately, this is easy to fix by yourself.

Moreover, after one rebellion you can actually expect more several years later, as only the rebelling pops have their militiancy reduced and they rarely revolt all simultaneously. I have seen, for example, Hedjaz being conquered by two swarms of reactionaries and one of anarcho-liberals in the span of several years.

If you can tolerate that, there is also the third game-breaker. To solve some problems with the lag, the default assimilation rate is huge. And I really mean huge. Expect that until 1870 most of the population in India is British. This causes another problem - colonies are quickly turned into states and industrialized. The result is that UK becomes a huge behemoth, several times more powerful than all other Great Powers combined. There is a hilarious thread in Paradox Forums where one guy tried to play as UK so ineptly to get them out of the Great Powers list - and he couldn't.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 22, 2010, 03:04:50 am »

I was playing as Belgium, and doing pretty well. Netherlands was my bitch, and I owned Gelderland. I also took Dutch Ghana and split it between myself and France (by forcing them to fork it over at gunpoint in their capital).

Then, during a bad recession, my lassez-faire economy fell through, and Belgium deindustrialized. It's been like this for years now, even though the economy has improved and I now make a lot of money from taxes and having shot for commerce research. The factories won't open, because the resources my capitalists need no longer show up.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 22, 2010, 03:48:41 am »

I find that starting in high literacy small country, such as Bavaria, can be advantageous. Get those teches done fast and overcome your less literate neighbours with superior armies!

Except it is a bitch to get anything done with serious repercussions in middle of Europe, everyone and their grandma is allied or SOI'd. Well, there's always tradeoffs.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15